PDA

View Full Version : Can't disassociate elevated heart rate when exercising to panic attack.

Colin44
11-03-19, 11:36
Got myself in a pickle of late.

I used to run 25 miles a week 3 years ago to not wanting to climb a single set of stairs as my heart rate will go up slightly and before I know it, boom I've triggered another attack.

I know how stupid this sounds and even typing it yet I can't separate the 2.

Any tips?

Not had an attack in over a week after going through several in a short period of time. Finding it hard to trust my bodily functions again.

ankietyjoe
11-03-19, 12:43
Exposure therapy, basically.

Climb the stairs, feel the heart rate rise, tell yourself that's what it's supposed to do. Then keep doing it until the connection is broken.

I have had exactly the same thing, and spent three months slowly increasing my exercise levels until my CNS got used to it again. You'll know when you're pushing too hard.

Even if the exercise triggers an attack, just keep doing it. The attack will pass, you'll be fine.

Colin44
11-03-19, 15:03
I had an attack while out running when my HR was already at a steady but worked 165bpm.

That quickly sped up to over 190 before my watch alarm kicked in and I never seen how high it went.

It might be hard for me to push that right now as my head is fried from the amount of attacks over such a short period.

ankietyjoe
11-03-19, 15:45
Yeah I don't mean smash yourself to bits, I mean to mild exercise (like walking up the stairs) and sit with the raised heart rate, learning to get used to it again. I don't mean push through the anxiety and force yourself to exercise more. Little by little.

I had to start off with brisk walking, raising my heart rate to around 100-120bpm for 5-10 minutes at a time. You may well be sensitive to it for months, but you can get used to it over time.

Yorkshire born
26-03-19, 21:00
I don’t know all of your triggers but when I was in the same situation I played football, and I felt that the fact I was with others helped me feel I was in a safe environment, rather than miles from help on a long run or alone at home working out.

Of course I know that for some the presence of others can add to their anxiety, so it’s more about finding an environment which feels safe for you, but for me being in a place I felt help was close at hand helped me feel less anxious.

WiredIncorrectly
01-04-19, 12:53
This is the 4th post I've read this morning here that resonates so much with me. I was lifting weights, jumping rope, getting exercise. But it's all stopped because my panic over a fast heart rate during exercise.

It's no fun having a fast HR from doing w/e, and then to have an even faster heartrate because anxiety has made it worse, plus all the physical smyptoms that come with this. Naturally as humans we avoid things that cause us danger, and situations like this to people like yourself and I are perceived as dangerous.

I do agree with Anixety Joe. The more you expose yourself the easier it gets. At one point I enjoyed the fast heart rate from experience. But once the anxiety has got you, it's hard to take the leap of faith to get back into the swing of routine exercise. Atm my routine is all over the shop. I get 1 day a week in, and even thats hard to get up and go atm.