PDA

View Full Version : Over active thyroid

SammiB
07-09-07, 10:07
Hi its me again

What made me look at this was my hair is kind of thinning, everytime i run my hand through my hair, like 10 strands come out, i've also lost about 2 inches off my waist.

so i researched what these could be and found an underactive thyroid and an over active thryroid, both have common symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks and also weight and hair loss

So i think that maybe this is what i have, my auntie and nan both had thyroid problems so its not uncommon in the family, another convincing point.

i was just wondering if anyone here has the same problem, as its friday and i can't go to the docs till monday thought i would try and find out all about it, just in case, but its probably just stress lol

anyway any advice or reassurance would be lovely

thanks for reading xxxxxxxxxx

ladygrom
07-09-07, 11:03
hi sammieb its gromit i spoke to you on chat i have underactive thyroid gland had it for 13 years underactive is wen you get tired put weight on thinning hair feel the cold or get to hot .over active you gey similar problems but tend to loose weight my mum and sis both ad it it can run in familys it is hormonial can make you anxious and depressed .dont worry go to the docs its asimple blood test underactive i take thyroxine everyday doc as upt my thyroxine .tc elaine

SammiB
07-09-07, 11:21
thanks very much elaine ( my mums name ) for your advice and reassurance.

xxxx

ladygrom
07-09-07, 11:29
no probs i have daughter your age and we both suffer health anxiety you can speak to me wenever you want to go to your docs for blood test tc

Blackstar
08-09-07, 22:01
Hi SammiB!

Here's a topic I can relate to, having had an overactive thyroid myself. I had Graves' Disease (an autoimmune condition that causes an overactive thyroid), and have been treated with radioactive iodine to become underactive. I now take thyroxine daily and am fine. My Gran had the same thing so there appeards to be a strong familial link.

Anyway, weight loss does feature with an overactive thyroid and it happened to me. However on its own it may not be caused by this. I also noticed slightly bulging eyes and a large goitre (swelling of the base of the neck). I felt hot very often also.

If you suspect thyroid disease, a simple blood test can be carried out to see. It's usually very easy to control, and I have no problems now, so if it is thyroid disease you will be well-treated.

Feel free to pm me if you want to chat more :D

Good luck!

Anna. x