PDA

View Full Version : Sleep concerns but confused if my concerns are a little overblown.

Seaster
16-03-19, 23:34
All this week, I haven't been sleeping too well. I been getting around 4-5 hours with a on/off night of 8 hours on one particular night. Thing is, I feel good enough to where I'm not sleepy, i'm alert at all times, and other than bags under eye, feeling tired around the eye, i seem fine. Of course, someone might say I look a bit tired. I have noticed some lightheadedness when sitting down or standing up but idk what would cause that.

Am i sleeping ENOUGH to function? Because i'm worrying most about dying from not sleeping or overworking my body to where i get high blood pressure, etc. I work a very tough job outside doing fast paced stuff.

Honestly, most nights, i go to bed around 2 am, take about an hour or so to fall asleep and wake up around 9 am, so 6-7 hours has always been my normal range. I can't imagine being off a bit on a few nights would be cause for alarm, but idk. It could be allergies too. Lots of pollen in my area this time of year.

Fishmanpa
17-03-19, 01:12
6-8 hours is normal. I'm not sure I understand your concern :shrug:

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
17-03-19, 01:17
All this week, I haven't been sleeping too well. I been getting around 4-5 hours with a on/off night of 8 hours on one particular night. Thing is, I feel good enough to where I'm not sleepy, i'm alert at all times, and other than bags under eye, feeling tired around the eye, i seem fine. Of course, someone might say I look a bit tired. I have noticed some lightheadedness when sitting down or standing up but idk what would cause that.

Am i sleeping ENOUGH to function? Because i'm worrying most about dying from not sleeping or overworking my body to where i get high blood pressure, etc. I work a very tough job outside doing fast paced stuff.

Honestly, most nights, i go to bed around 2 am, take about an hour or so to fall asleep and wake up around 9 am, so 6-7 hours has always been my normal range. I can't imagine being off a bit on a few nights would be cause for alarm, but idk. It could be allergies too. Lots of pollen in my area this time of year.

This isn't concerning. It probably is allergies. I'm not sure what part of the country you're in but I need the mid-Atlanic this week has been horrrrrendous. I can barely keep my eyes open they feel so tired.

Seaster
17-03-19, 01:20
Well, the thing is that I really haven't slept too great since the Daylight Savings time this past weekend. Like, I went to bed late that night and managed some sleep but it was like for 4 hours and since then I've felt like i only been getting 4 or 5 a night. the circles under my eyes have me wondering sleep woes or allergies? And i'm not sure which it is.

ErinKC
17-03-19, 01:24
Well, the thing is that I really haven't slept too great since the Daylight Savings time this past weekend. Like, I went to bed late that night and managed some sleep but it was like for 4 hours and since then I've felt like i only been getting 4 or 5 a night. the circles under my eyes have me wondering sleep woes or allergies? And i'm not sure which it is.

It's probably a bit of both. I've felt exactly the same since day light savings and then allergies kicked in. I feel totally off.

Fishmanpa
17-03-19, 01:30
Ok... Dude... read your post! Everyone goes a little off with DST and as Erin said, allergies have been brutal! I'm in the Mid-Atlantic too and the OTC allergy meds are not helping at the moment (*sniff*) I know where your mind is going and I know what Dr. Google is scaring you with. Been here long enough to know ;) You can put this to bed. (Pun intended)

Positive thoughts

Seaster
17-03-19, 17:41
Last night another rough night. I went to bed around 12:30 am, taking some Benedryl PM. I lay there and after a while I realize I'm fiddling around massaging my leg for no reason. After that, i get up to use restroom, go back to bed around 2:30 am, and before I know it it's 4:50 am so I think I dozed off this time as I had stronger urge to urinate. I drank lot of water prior. I questioned if I did sleep at that time so I took another batch of Benedryl. My heart raced from being scared I won't ever sleep again but eventually I fell asleep but woke up around 9 or 9:30 am. Depending how you view whether I slept during early part of night, I slept for either 4 hours or closer to 6.

But the gritty eye feeling is still there with the bags under my eyes. I'm alert and can see and think just fine. Just eyes feel rough. For what it's worth, I have always averaged 6 to 7 hours of sleep. I'd go to bed around 2 am, take a while to fall asleep, wake up around 8:30 or 9.

Fishmanpa
17-03-19, 17:46
So again.... What is your concern here? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Darksky
17-03-19, 18:06
I go through periods of insomnia, I think most people do. When I am, I reckon 4 hours a night is my average. I'm tired yes, but I can function. I would love to get near 6 hours, so you're doing fine. Don't drink so much water before going to bed, no wonder your body is waking you up. I think you're overthinking the whole thing. You won't die from lack of sleep, you won't overwork your body and make yourself ill. You need to trust your body. It has been sending animals to sleep since time began. You are going through an insomnia phase, that's all. It will right itself.

ErinKC
17-03-19, 18:16
The eyes are almost certainly allergies. That's what has been hit worst for me this week. They feel stressed, tired, gunky, itchy, etc...

And, like Darksky said, a few nights of poor sleep is not at all dangerous. Like we've said earlier - daylight savings plus allergies are just wreaking havoc on your sleep schedule. If a lack of sleep was truly dangerous every new mother would drop dead! When my daughter was born I didn't sleep more than 45 min - 1 hour increments for weeks and after that the best stretch I would get was maybe 3 or 4 until she was almost a year. I definitely FELT like I was about to drop dead basically 24/7, but I survived.

Carys
17-03-19, 18:25
I need 8- 9 hours sleep and the last week have had 4 hours a night max, due to a bad cold. My eyes are sore and dry feeling from tiredness - will it kill you or make you ill - no it won't ! When you get to exhaustion level your body will take over and you will sleep. Most people get periods of insomnia, and sadly the more you get worked up and upset about it, the more pressure you place on yourself and the less likely you are to sleep - trust me I've been on threads here the last few years also moaning about my sleeping.

Seaster
17-03-19, 19:08
Yeah, I mainly average 6-7 hours if we're talking normal averages for me. But a lot of times during this, I don't even know if I slept or not at certain points in the night. Like, I'll lay there and 3 hours will pass, i'll be suddenly aware that I have a strong urge to use the restroom. Was that me being asleep waking up? Or did I truly lay there that long without sleeping and holding my bladder that long? If i was sleeping, then I did get close to 6 hours. But my eyes felt ROUGH in the middle of the night so idk if that few hours of "sleep" helped, combined with the 3.5 hours i had after going back to bed.

I think I will cut out all caffeine at earlier point, and keep drink to minimum.

Darksky
17-03-19, 19:23
Can I also suggest removing the clock or your phone (whichever you use to tell the time) from the bedroom.

it will stop you obsessing over exactly how many hours have passed. How long you think you may have slept and how many hours are left before you have to get up. My clock is firmly behind my curtain and I have no idea what time it is at night.

Carys
17-03-19, 19:36
Thats good advice......I sometimes wake up a lot just to 'check if I've been asleep'. I set an alarm for getting up time, and then leave it at that.

MJunderway
17-03-19, 22:12
Just wanted to chime in that I'm also dealing with really bad panic attacks and insomnia since the start of DST and am also located in the Mid Atlantic. Allergies just started kicking in and I think coupled with some other things going on in my life and it resulted in a perfect storm of insomnia and panic about not sleeping. I had the same concerns at 4:00 AM this morning that I would never get to sleep and that I could have something bad happen health-wise as a result of not sleeping. But it's just the insomnia talking.

I'm trying to do things during the day that I know will relax me like walking in the woods. I just make sure to bring eye drops to deal with the allergies. It's been helping to take the edge off.

Seaster
17-03-19, 22:53
Is Florida considered in the Mid Atlantic? All I know is reports from the news about pollen being bad down here. But if others are having issues too, then I know it's something that's going on so i am optimistic we can get through this. I do find it weird that i'm not sleepy during the day though. I thought if you were short on sleep, your body would have you feel like dozing off? Maybe i am getting enough sleep?

I don't even have a clock in my room but i always keep my phone on my night stand because it's too useful to just stash away and i use it for my alarm so i need it close by so i can get to it. I just wish I remember how I got through my insomnia from last year.

MJunderway
18-03-19, 13:49
Is Florida considered in the Mid Atlantic? All I know is reports from the news about pollen being bad down here. But if others are having issues too, then I know it's something that's going on so i am optimistic we can get through this. I do find it weird that i'm not sleepy during the day though. I thought if you were short on sleep, your body would have you feel like dozing off? Maybe i am getting enough sleep?

I don't even have a clock in my room but i always keep my phone on my night stand because it's too useful to just stash away and i use it for my alarm so i need it close by so i can get to it. I just wish I remember how I got through my insomnia from last year.

Florida is def not in the Mid-Atlantic but I'm not surprised to hear you guys are dealing with allergy issues too. I think there were two other posters on this thread who are in the Mid Atlantic. When I go through periods of anxiety induced insomnia, I find that I am riding on adrenaline throughout the day. I don't feel tired as much as I feel painfully wired. Dry eyes, headache, difficulty regulating body temp are all symptoms of ongoing adrenaline rushes.

I was able to sleep last night by doing some jedi mind tricks, aka CBT and reading before bed instead of watching tv. I do think that me taking a lot of walks the last two days have helped. Weirdly enough, I also found relief in doing dishes by hand. I'm cancelling two meetings scheduled for this week so that I can not have to take on extra work. I run my own business, so I have that luxury.

Do you do deep breathing at all? It helps me when I'm laying in bed and either get hit with a wave of adrenaline due to a panic attack or have really intrusive thoughts. I'm headed over to the panic attack section of NMP. I hadn't checked it out until this weekend but there are some really good tips over there. Hope you had a better night last night!

Seaster
18-03-19, 15:10
Similar amount of sleep last night as previous nights. I tried to go to sleep normally without any sleep aids but after a few hours, I realized I couldn't risk going without any sleep. I took ZZZQuil and it put me to sleep faster than the Benedryl PM that i had been taking. Problem is I was only asleep for roughly 3 hours, woke up because of restroom (i have small bladder; didn't even drink much but still) and I don't know if i fell asleep or not but it went from being 4:30 am to being daylight out. Hard to know if I slept more after using restroom but all I know is that I slept 3 hours for sure, hopefully I got more than that.

But yeah, I did cut out caffeine in evenings and i do the routine that i've always done prior to my sleep issues. I just feel like I can't fall asleep without sleep medicine now. And honestly, i think i'm right because i've tried going without it when i last had insomnia and i went the whole night with no sleep. so i don't think i can risk it when i have to work the next day and today.

I'm not sure how worried i should be. Will this right itself eventually? I mean, I been through a similar problem before and got through it but this time feels different.

Seaster
18-03-19, 22:55
Working today hasnt been too helpful as I'm feeling achy and pressure/feeling unsteady but able to do job. I'm alert and can move around fine. I'm scared for my well being if this persists. I've cut out all caffeine today but even so, I have no idea how tonight will go. I'm scared 😟

glassgirlw
19-03-19, 02:29
I’m in the middle of an insomnia phase too. I feel for you! It sucks. But I go through this every so often and the quickest way for me to get a handle on it is to not stress over it. Easier said than done i know. But you’ll get there!

also, I have to be careful with sleep aids. Any more than two nights in a row using them and I notice my insomnia getting worse. So I try and stay away from those. Instead I’ll drink chamomile tea and use lavender essential oil as a pillow mister. Couple quick sprays on my pillow and I usually relax much easier.

Hang in there! The insomnia phase won’t last forever!

MJunderway
19-03-19, 14:08
Working today hasnt been too helpful as I'm feeling achy and pressure/feeling unsteady but able to do job. I'm alert and can move around fine. I'm scared for my well being if this persists. I've cut out all caffeine today but even so, I have no idea how tonight will go. I'm scared 😟

Hope you got some better sleep last night! Don't be scared. Insomnia is very normal as are extended periods of sleep deprivation. There was another poster who mentioned lack of sleep due to a new baby. I went through the same thing 10 years ago when my son was born. It was literally months before I was able to get a solid 4 hours of sleep. I was cranky and irritable but nothing happened much health-wise.

Also, did you know that the whole 8 hours of solid sleep is a relatively new concept in the timeline of humanity? Prior to electric lights, people had two periods of sleep called 1st sleep and second sleep where they would sleep each period a total of 3-4 hours. Here's a blog post about this, if you'd like to learn more. http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/ Sleeping 3-4 hours is more normal than you might believe. Hope this is helpful!

Seaster
19-03-19, 15:38
Hope you got some better sleep last night! Don't be scared. Insomnia is very normal as are extended periods of sleep deprivation. There was another poster who mentioned lack of sleep due to a new baby. I went through the same thing 10 years ago when my son was born. It was literally months before I was able to get a solid 4 hours of sleep. I was cranky and irritable but nothing happened much health-wise.

Also, did you know that the whole 8 hours of solid sleep is a relatively new concept in the timeline of humanity? Prior to electric lights, people had two periods of sleep called 1st sleep and second sleep where they would sleep each period a total of 3-4 hours. Here's a blog post about this, if you'd like to learn more. http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/ Sleeping 3-4 hours is more normal than you might believe. Hope this is helpful!

I don't even know if I slept last night at all. I remember having a headache from caffeine withdrawal and I took some Benedryl Pm for the pain and for the sleepiness benefit at around midnight. I don't remember anything else but getting out of bed around 4:30 to use the restroom. I found myself wondering if I slept because it didn't feel like I did but just lay there instead. So I go to back to bed, and seemingly just lay there as the time flew by. Even tried to sleep in a bit after realizing morning came around but eventually I just got up for the day.

My eyes still feel gritty/rough but not sleepy. Had some sleepies in my eyes (flakes in my eyes; guessing that meanst i slept?) If I didn't sleep last night, that's probably really bad then. I literally did everything from cutting out caffeine to being in a relaxing routine.

But yeah, I guess your example does give me hope I can make it through this. I don't even feel sleepy really. Just eyes feel gritty and a bit watery sometimes.

LF87
19-03-19, 16:20
Totally understand your worries. I'm a terrible sleeper, always have been. On a good night I get off to sleep around 12, wake up at 3/4 and dose off again. Some nights not so good, it'll be 3/4 I'm awake til then up at 7. Some advice that helps me - don't ever look at the clock, this will just panic you about the time then suddenly you have a pressure that you should be asleep, I read that from a good source regarding sleep problems. Try to have a good wind down before bed, nice drink, book (my pre bed routine is a nightmare currently with my ocd checks). Mostly, don't worry about not sleeping. It's really not as big of a deal as we're made to believe, I asked my doctor. You'll sleep when you're tired, you just will, and unless you're literally not sleeping at all I wouldn't stress it. I don't anymore X

Seaster
19-03-19, 16:37
Totally understand your worries. I'm a terrible sleeper, always have been. On a good night I get off to sleep around 12, wake up at 3/4 and dose off again. Some nights not so good, it'll be 3/4 I'm awake til then up at 7. Some advice that helps me - don't ever look at the clock, this will just panic you about the time then suddenly you have a pressure that you should be asleep, I read that from a good source regarding sleep problems. Try to have a good wind down before bed, nice drink, book (my pre bed routine is a nightmare currently with my ocd checks). Mostly, don't worry about not sleeping. It's really not as big of a deal as we're made to believe, I asked my doctor. You'll sleep when you're tired, you just will, and unless you're literally not sleeping at all I wouldn't stress it. I don't anymore X

"Unless you're literally not sleeping at all" is what scares me perhaps the most. I don't even know If i truly slept last night. I don't have any way of knowing whether I actually slept or just laid there. All I know is I went to bed around 12 with a headache after taking Benedyrl and got out of bed around 4 or so, headache was gone. I'd like to think I was sleeping since all that time passed and I was in same position in bed as when I laid down. But even so, it was just a whole night of laying there trying to catch up on sleep but i'm scared because i don't even know if i'm just laying there or actually getting any sleep.

What baffles me is why I am not feeling sleepy or dozing off during day. If I was truly not sleeping at all, wouldn't that be happening? Ugh, idk what to think. I know my legs feel heavy/sluggish at times and pressure like feeling in head at times too. idk what it all means.

Fishmanpa
19-03-19, 17:23
You would know if you didn't sleep. You're in a Catch 22 situation right now. Eventually, your body and mind will give in and you'll sleep. In the mean time, documenting every niggle and thought looking for reassurance is just contributing to the cycle.

Positive thoughts

Seaster
19-03-19, 17:28
You would know if you didn't sleep. You're in a Catch 22 situation right now. Eventually, your body and mind will give in and you'll sleep. In the mean time, documenting every niggle and thought looking for reassurance is just contributing to the cycle.

Positive thoughts

How would I know? Because my eyes feel rough around the edges and i feel light, or legs feel heavy, but otherwise okay. I mean, you're right in that i shouldn't worry but at the same time, idk if my body can endure this? Especially if i'm not sleeping at all.

BlueIris
19-03-19, 17:33
If you're not dozing off during the day, you're getting enough sleep.

Seaster
19-03-19, 17:54
Would I be dozing off even after eating and drinking soda in morning? I am going to keep trying but I hate that my eyes feel rough and probably look bad if someone saw me close up. (though people i've asked say i don't look too bad.) I just wish I knew when I am sleeping vs just laying in bed. Because it probably is a common thing among insomniacs to not thing one is getting sleep.

Fishmanpa
19-03-19, 18:37
How would I know?

:huh: "All I know is I went to bed around 12 with a headache after taking Benedyrl and got out of bed around 4 or so, headache was gone. I'd like to think I was sleeping since all that time passed and I was in same position in bed as when I laid down."

Positive thoughts

Seaster
19-03-19, 18:55
yeah, i'm just recalling facts of what i know about last night. it didn't feel like a deep sleep if i was sleeping. I just find myself wondering if i really laid there for 4 hours or so not sleeping or if i slept. A big problem in all this is if i am sleeping, then getting back to sleep has been a similar issue. time will pass by after going back to bed but i feel like i never fell asleep.

And because I don't feel great and my eyes are a mess, I find myself thinking i'm not getting enough somehow, even though if you add it all up, it's possible i am sleeping more than i know.

MJunderway
19-03-19, 20:04
I don't even know if I slept last night at all. I remember having a headache from caffeine withdrawal and I took some Benedryl Pm for the pain and for the sleepiness benefit at around midnight. I don't remember anything else but getting out of bed around 4:30 to use the restroom. I found myself wondering if I slept because it didn't feel like I did but just lay there instead. So I go to back to bed, and seemingly just lay there as the time flew by. Even tried to sleep in a bit after realizing morning came around but eventually I just got up for the day.

My eyes still feel gritty/rough but not sleepy. Had some sleepies in my eyes (flakes in my eyes; guessing that meanst i slept?) If I didn't sleep last night, that's probably really bad then. I literally did everything from cutting out caffeine to being in a relaxing routine.

But yeah, I guess your example does give me hope I can make it through this. I don't even feel sleepy really. Just eyes feel gritty and a bit watery sometimes.

That's what happens to me with insomnia. I'm not actually up per se, but rather it seems like I am not sleeping. I have narcolepsy and can get into REM sleep really easily. You'd think with narcolepsy that I wouldn't have insomnia but it's daytime sleepiness I have to contend with due to constantly disrupted sleep patterns. When I have insomnia, I tell myself that at some point I will wake up from a dream without even realizing and that I fell asleep and that if I can fall asleep that one time, I can do it again. It usually helps me get another couple of hours.

It's the psych out or the thought that you can't fall asleep that gets me and it sounds like that is what you are going through. Follow the advice that several people have offered of winding down before bedtime, no phones or screens for at least 2-3 hours before bed, nothing stimulating like coffee after 3:00 PM in the afternoon, dark, dark rooms (I use blackout curtains), if you are a reader maybe read a boring book (I have an old textbook that literally puts me to sleep in minutes), keep the room really cool (lower body temps help regulate sleep), lastly try to eat a carby meal for dinner. I know lots of people are switching to low carb or keto diets for weight loss but that can really mess with your sleep. I eat smaller meals during the day to not trigger my narcolepsy and save carbs for my dinner. Starchy meals definitely help me sleep.

Hope this helps but if you are looking for additional support the panic attack sub forum has a cbt program that has great resources for specific panic events like not being able to fall asleep. Def check it out.

LF87
20-03-19, 00:27
Yeah I agree with above poster! You're freaking out that you won't sleep, I used to do that. Felt absolute dread just after my dinner and spent the night stressing I wouldn't sleep. As you can imagine that didn't help my situation. If you don't sleep you don't sleep, you won't have some terrible fate - you'll literally just feel tired. Even if it lasts weeks and months, nothing will happen. You'll just be plain and simple tired. So don't worry! My doctor said 'are you doing brain surgery tomorrow?' I said no. She said 'well why you so worried about the best nights sleep then?'. I mean if you are doing brain surgery tomorrow I apologise for my story 😂 but honestly, just relax. You'll sleep when you're tired, it's not a big deal if you're having a crappy sleep cycle. I do understand though, but try not to escalate it any further than feeling tired the next day, thats all that'll happen X

Seaster
20-03-19, 01:27
It's not so much panic attacks as it is wondering if I slept or not. Because the last time I had insomnia, I literally went the whole night without sleep and knew for a fact I didn't sleep.

I'm also wondering why I'm not feeling sleepy at all during day? Can anyone help me out with that one? I literally cut back on caffeine so it's not even that. I just don't feel like I'm fighting to stay awake at all. I have felt some instances of light headedness when getting up and walking but I feel like that might be something unrelated.

I'll take a look at the panic section though. I just wish I knew why I'm not feeling sleepy as I should. Maybe I am sleeping and allergies make my eyes the way they are?

Seaster
21-03-19, 16:40
Update: I slept for 6.5 hours the previous night and felt fine the whole day pretty much. Still had eye circles under eyes despite getting the amount of sleep i averaged before the sleep issues. Last night, I did not sleep as well but I did get some sleep. I cannot recall how much sleep that I got. I just remember going to bed around 12:40 and idk what happened but i'd just lay there for a while seemingly fidgeting around like rubbing my leg, scratching my arm, etc and its like i snap out of it and get out of bed. The time reads like 3:50. Am I sleeping or am i in a trance and not sleeping? i do not understand. But yeah, I went back to bed after taking something to aid my sleep and i guess I did sleep for sure after that but not sure it was much.

My eyes feel alright and I don't feel like i'm going to fall asleep or anything. Here's another question: If I were truly sleepy and need sleep badly, would caffeine override that? Because taking caffeine in morning is something I've always done regardless of sleep issues or not. Just wondering is all. I did go without caffeine the good part of a day a bit ago and i noticed no difference but a big headache from withdrawal symptoms.

Fishmanpa
21-03-19, 16:54
You're in a Catch 22 situation right now. Eventually, your body and mind will give in and you'll sleep. In the mean time, documenting every niggle and thought looking for reassurance is just contributing to the cycle.

Positive thoughts

Seaster
21-03-19, 22:42
That doesn't answer my concerns? Like why do I feel like alert and able to work my job, etc? Or is that the food and caffeine overriding the sleepiness? Because I don't think I'm sleeping too good but I think maybe the caffeine is masking me being tired during day?

nomorepanic
21-03-19, 23:09
I rarely sleep properly but can fully function in the day so it is not uncommon.

I wake every few hours and have done for more than 10-15 years now. I would love to be one of those that goes to bed, falls asleep and wakes up when the alarm goes off but never have been.

I am not sure why you are worrying if you are ok in the day?

Seaster
22-03-19, 03:24
I am worried because i don't know if the caffeine is masking the side effects of not sleeping well or not. I've been alert, same energy, etc despite the sleep woes but i'm not sure if the caffeine is the reason for that or not.

Midnight-mouse
22-03-19, 07:51
I am worried because i don't know if the caffeine is masking the side effects of not sleeping well or not. I've been alert, same energy, etc despite the sleep woes but i'm not sure if the caffeine is the reason for that or not.

I mean.... that is what caffeine does, it’s a stimulant. That being said, if caffeine is the only thing keeping me awake you can be very sure that I will crash (come down from the caffeine) and it will not be pleasant.

It’s actually very common and not unhealthy to wake during different parts of the sleep cycle and I’ve definitely had nights where I was unsure I’ve even slept but time definitely passed quickly.

Your sleep sounds just fine to me, there are people that would very much like to be able to get 6.5 hours of sleep - myself and my mum included in this. The more you worry and add stress to the situation, the less you will sleep.

You are functional and alert, your not causing yourself harm.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
22-03-19, 13:28

Respectfully Seaster, I understand this is causing you distress but in no way is this a concern, especially in light of being able to function. Everyone has periods of time where sleep is challenging. It's not some indicator of something sinister. At least you didn't start with the fatal insomnia nonsense :shades:

Positive thoughts

Seaster
22-03-19, 16:28
It's a struggle to sleep even when I take things like Benedryl Pm and ZZZquil prior to bed. Imagine if I don't take them? I'll never sleep again most likely. I used to drink soda even before bed and never had a problem, even did so in the weeks prior to having this problem? Why am I having trouble sleeping now all of a sudden? I don't think caffeine is the problem and I can't cut it out or withdrawal symptoms happen.

Honestly, I think my body is telling me it doesn't need sleep at all to function. Why else am I always alert in the day and seemingly have energy to go about day? I literally had only one can of soda so far today (it's afternoon already) and I feel fine. One can of caffeine from soda probably wouldn't be enough if I didn't sleep much, right?

nomorepanic
22-03-19, 16:39
I think you are overthinking this too much and making it a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Your body will sleep if it needs to so just let it do its thing.

Just give things time and see what happens. There is nothing much we can do and not a lot you can do at the moment.

Seaster
22-03-19, 16:47
would my body sleep even if i have caffeine in my system? Because it scares me to think caffeine could keep me up forever and ever. But then again, I guess i answered my own question since i drank soda before and didn't have a issue then. Sorry for bothering people. It's been a rough year for me.

nomorepanic
22-03-19, 17:24
Yes, people drink caffeine all day.

Sorry you have had a rough year and you are not bothering us, I just think that you need to let your body do its own thing for a while and see how it goes.