PDA

View Full Version : Fear of catching a cold

lily123
20-03-19, 02:05
Hi,

I've had some anxiety surrounding catching colds in the past and somehow it has grown into a full-blown fear that worries me every day. I am in therapy which is helping, but I'm still very afraid extremely cautious around germs.

Yesterday I showed up to a meeting with my boss, who told me that she had woken up that morning with a cold. I sat about 3-4 feet away from her and did not touch her or the area near her, and she did not sneeze or cough but was talking and laughing a lot. I am a wreck over it and I am completely convinced that I have caught her cold, even though I don't have symptoms yet. I know nobody can tell me whether I'll catch this cold or not, but I was hoping someone might be able to help. Is this rational? Could I catch the cold from her talking? I am in a panic.

BlueIris
24-03-19, 05:50
Unfortunately, colds are an inevitable part of the human experience. I spent several years freaking out and thinking the worst whenever my husband got one, but I'm much better now.

All I can advise you to do is apply all the training and techniques you've been given in therapy, and work hard on being rational. It isn't a quick fix, but it will help in the end.