PDA

View Full Version : Lipoma worries playing up again

UnhappyWorrier
20-03-19, 12:52
I’ve been going through my worst period of HA in years and now I keep remembering every little thing that’s off with me.

I’ve had this little fat lump (like a lipoma) on my buttock for 3 years now. It’s soft and squishy and evens out if I pull the skin around it. Doesn’t hurt when I press on it either, however it does get a bit irritated and red, probably because of the location. It’s about 3 cm in diameter and from what I’ve noticed, hasn’t changed at all, though it’s difficult to tell because it’s not somewhere I can easily see. I sometimes ask my mom to check it and she keeps wondering why I’m even stressing out about it because she can’t feel anything weird there.

Now, I used to stress out about this and showed it to my GP twice, once in 2016 and second time in 2018. She looked at it a bit, pressed it and told me it’s nothing bad and I shouldn’t worry and I can leave it be.

Due to a recent spike up in anxiety, this has been on my mind again. Should I follow up on this thing or have I done everything and can leave this be? Three years of having a lump is enough to be convinced it’s utterly harmless, right? Logic tells me it’s impossible to last this long with a dangerous lump.

Fishmanpa
20-03-19, 13:43
You know what everyone is going to say so why not reassure yourself on this one? :whistles:

Positive thoughts

UnhappyWorrier
20-03-19, 19:57
I am going over the facts in my head and it's helping me feel better. I actually feel a bit ridiculous for being worked up over this again.

I take it that as I've already checked it with my GP, I don't have to worry about it in the future? Like, these things don't have a risk of suddenly developing into something serious, it's just a part of my body as any other?

Fishmanpa
20-03-19, 20:00
It's a lipoma. A piece of fat under the skin. Nothing more, nothing less :shrug:

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
20-03-19, 20:07
You should watch Dr Pimple Popper on TV - fascinating - she removes these all the time.

DISCLAIMER - not for those of a nervous disposition :whistles::winks:

KK77
20-03-19, 20:17
You should watch Dr Pimple Popper on TV - fascinating - she removes these all the time.

DISCLAIMER - not for those of a nervous disposition :whistles::winks:

I'd just sat down with my dinner and that prog came on :emot-puke:

UnhappyWorrier
20-03-19, 21:29
Heh, that sounds something that you absolutely shouldn't watch when eating. I do wonder why pimple popping is so satisfying for so many people.

I've toyed with the idea of having the thing removed, though after the Doc said I can leave it, it totally fell out of my mind. I've kinda grown accustomed to it over the years, really.

RadioGaGa
20-03-19, 21:59
I agree with everyone else ^

If they offer to remove it again, maybe that would be a good idea? Only because, until your anxiety is under complete control, it will always have the potential to trigger you.

But, on the flipside, this isn't a mole we're talking about and the surgery would be more invasive, so you'd be exposing yourself to invasive surgery solely for the purposes of anxiety...

Just my 2 cents

UnhappyWorrier
21-03-19, 00:49
Yeah, I don't really feel it in day to day life. The doctor asked whether the lump was bothering me and it wasn't so we just left it alone. It would probably be a pain in the ass (pun intended) to deal with the healing process as well. The only drawback really is that my butt looks a bit weird, though my doctor said that it's normal for a person to be a little asymmetrical.

Fishmanpa
21-03-19, 02:38
Yeah, I don't really feel it in day to day life. The doctor asked whether the lump was bothering me and it wasn't so we just left it alone.

I had one on the lower right side of my back for over 20 years. Doc originally checked it and said the same thing. 20+ years later, it had grown and started really bothering me. It was very deep and attached to muscle and nerves so sitting irritated it. GP referred me and I had it removed. It was the size of an egg! A quick in and out at a day surgery and a little sore for a week and that was it. It really is nothing more than a fat sac. If its not bothering you then that's the end of it.

Positive thoughts