PDA

View Full Version : Foamy urine - to all of those concerned

Hypo84
23-03-19, 13:27
Hi everyone.

I have seen several threads here about people having foamy urine and Google search leads you to believe it is protein in the urine and you are nearly dead due to kidney failure. I just want to share my story so it maybe helps someone.

For the past 2 weeks I've been having foamy urine throughout the day. I have tried sitting while peeing which helps a bit but the foam is still there. Then I tried peeing in the plastic cup (being hypochondriac I get crazy ideas) and yesterday night I didn't have any foam, but in the morning plastic cup looked like a beer literally after I went to pee. I mean, it was literally half an inch of foam on the top.

I panicked of course, thought I was dying, and took the second pee, which also was covered in foam and gave urine for a test. I also did blood test to check for urea, creatinine levels, ESR, general blood work and GFR(which is basically something I found online which tells you how much your kidneys are damaged).

All tests came back perfectly normal. No protein in urine, all blood tests were perfect so I definitely do not have protein in my urine. What causes foam? I have no idea and it is certainly not an issue when my kidneys are fine, so when you read online that foam == protein in urine, know that this might not be the case and even significant foam, even during the day, even in sitting position or peeing in the cup, can still mean that you are perfectly healthy.

Take care

RadioGaGa
23-03-19, 14:08
Do you put blocks in your cistern? Or any other chemical which might be in the water causing the foaming?

Either way, you can swiftly move on from this for sure

Hypo84
23-03-19, 17:46
No, I do not.

And when I was taking urine sample to test, it looked like I was taking them a beer due to foam :).

Again, I am sure now it is nothing as tests are fine but why it is there, who knows.

Stu1980
27-03-19, 11:56
I'm a guy and i've worried about this in the past - also did the pee in a cup thing LOL! I find first thing in the morning mine is very bubbly but this levels out as the day goes on. Often its due to the urine being concentrated, which makes sense if we sleep for 7-8 hours and then go to the toilet first thing. Lot's of people have bubbles in their urine. From what I've read, protein in the urine shows with bubbles coming a couple of inches up the side of the pan with 2 or 3 flushed needed to get rid of them all. Drinking more fluids usually reduced the bubbles.

I actually spoke to friends about this and they all looked at me like I was off my rocker with a response of 'isn't all guys pee bubbly because of the height and the fact that we don't drink enough water?'.

Anxiety + google - worst combo ever!

Carys
27-03-19, 16:59
Thats a good post above, I think its another one of those 'symptoms' which people think is a symptom and is actually totally normal. After all, how often do we go around looking at urine that people have just produced to compare? I personally have never thought anything of this, as I thought it was usual in the morning (as the previous poster says) and often due to the SPEEEEDDdddd of exit.

Hypo84
27-03-19, 17:05
It can be scary, especially if you pee in a cup and it looks like you just peed a beer with foam all over that is not going away.

The most important thing to get away from this is that Google is full of s*it. You can enter literally anything and see some deadly disease.

Hypo84
29-04-19, 03:21
Well, managed to freak out myself even more now.

Since I'm still pissing champagne and doing it in a side of cup was not foaming I read that you need to shake the cup so that protein could break up.

Well, when I peed in a bottle and shoke it few times it foamed like crazy. Gross I know.

Anyway, managed to ruin my vcation here and now waiting to return home and do analysis once again.

Aparently with focal glomerulosclerosis you could have normal blood work related to kidneys and I never did 24h lrotein urine and the one time I measured it it wasn't morning pee.

Sorry for rambling, had to vent a bit, as my anxiety is through the roof.

Fishmanpa
29-04-19, 12:34
Perhaps going in the toilet and just flushing as opposed to using cups and bottles to self check something you've been medically cleared of would be a better approach to bodily fluid evacuation? :whistles:

Positive thoughts

Hypo84
29-04-19, 13:21
Yes, that's true.

I calmed myself this morning by realizing that my protein in urine levels were 0.01g/L and normal is up to 0.14. Even though it was third urine if I had some leaking it would show I guess. On blood test kidneys were also fine.

I haven't been to doctor so no one actually confirmed I am okay, but I did the tests on my own.

itsmedebraj
16-05-21, 03:54
If this helps you mentally then let me tell you... I have been experiencing foamy urine since 2016. Almost everyday. Sometimes it's clear but most of the time it's foamy. Sitting or hitting the sides of the toilet doesn't help. Last week I got my blood works done. Everything came back normal. So I guess it's normal to have foamy urine. But one thing is that drinking plenty of water throughout the day has turned my urine clear. But if you are worrying too much then the best solution is to get tested for your peace of mind. All the best.
Love. D.

bcox1776
08-06-21, 22:34
So here's a new one, I have the foamy urine somethings but does anyone have smelly urine? I can't tell if it's just me or it's really more smelly (regardless of how much I drink). Any advice would be help as my main concern health anxiety wise is kidney failure.

BadCompany
09-08-21, 14:28
I'm currently worried about this myself....
Most of the time it's foamy that disappears after about 15 seconds, sometimes it's clear....

Catkins
09-08-21, 16:59
Not an expert, but pee can be all sorts of different colours. A lot can depend on how hydrated you are, the lighter and clearer it is the better hydrated you are, the darker it is the more dehydrated you are.

Also with smells sometimes what you have eaten can effect the smell, I can't remember exactly but I think asparagus is one. Also I would say that the darker the pee the stronger he smell as it's denser waste material.

BadCompany
09-08-21, 22:05
Most of the time my pee is foamy sometimes it's not.....
I don't understand

Hypo84
13-03-23, 20:03
After 4 years, I am still here so foamy urine was nothing. I still have it, daily, but on the recent ultrasound Kidneys were perfect, so obviously foamy urine was nothing back then as it is nothing now.

Fishmanpa
13-03-23, 20:44
Perhaps going in the toilet and just flushing as opposed to using cups and bottles to self check something you've been medically cleared of would be a better approach to bodily fluid evaluation? :whistles:

Long over due.. 'Told Ya So!' :shades:

FMP

Pamplemousse
13-03-23, 22:57
After 4 years, I am still here so foamy urine was nothing. I still have it, daily, but on the recent ultrasound Kidneys were perfect, so obviously foamy urine was nothing back then as it is nothing now.

I've had it for over fifteen years: I'm diabetic so have my urine tested and apart from high glucose because of dapagliflozin, no nasties are in it.

I just refer to it as "old man's piss".

ranmal.umanga
06-05-23, 01:49

Hey, I'm going through the same thing with foamy urine for about a month now, and my doctor suggested some tests that could help figure out what's causing it. If you haven't done any tests yet, I recommend considering them. However, if you have completed some tests already, don't worry too much because there might not be any cause for concern based on those results. But, it's worth noting that protein isn't the only thing that can cause foamy pee. There are some amino acids that can also make it foamy, so further tests might be needed to see if there's any protein or amino acid leakage and if there's an underlying medical issue.

The tests my doctor recommended include the:
Anti Nuclear Antibody (ANA) test,
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR),
High sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP),
Full blood count/differential (FBC/CBC),
Urine microscopy/culture (MSU),
Protein-to-creatinine ratio (UPCR),
Albumin-to-creatinine ratio (ACR),
Kidney function test (UEC),
Liver function test (LFT),
Lipid studies,
Glucose test,
Plasma-quantitative amino acid analysis,
Urinary amino acid levels,
Kidney Ultrasound (USS).

Hypo84
08-05-23, 12:34
You do realise this was in 2019? I would be dead by now if this was anything sinister.
Google is wrong

Pamplemousse
08-05-23, 13:47
Seconding Hypo84's post, I've had it for over fifteen years and likewise, I'm still here - and I regularly give samples because I'm diabetic and prone to UTIs because of the high glucose content of my urine caused by being on dapagliflozin.

Jonathanbrsc
09-05-23, 12:18
I also have foamy wee

Captain2510
14-09-23, 21:15
Hey,

Glad to see someone mentioned this. I got pretty worried seeing this on the internet, I always knew bubbles were normal, don't they usually appear when you do it directly on the water and doesnt appear when you aim it on the sides? Would be great if you could answer this, would really help me get over the anxiety with this.

Hypo84
14-09-23, 21:50
For some of us foam appears even on the sides and when you pee directly it's just a lot more. Also depends on how diluted your urine is. Anyway, foam thing is not really a thing as Google says, as a lot of us have it for years, daily and it's nothing./

pameligo
09-02-24, 00:30
have you done another urine analysis for pcr and acr?