PDA

View Full Version : Calves have mild burning and hair loss

j2
25-03-19, 19:54
Hello, i am a 48 yr old male, long time sufferer of HA. I have been having odd burning sensations in my legs for a few months and the hair my normally hairy legs is all but gone on both of my calves and shins. I still run almost daily but this is really worrying me. The only "real" health scare I have had was a couple of years ago my kidney tests came back weak but improved later. Any thoughts or ideas would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
J2

RadioGaGa
25-03-19, 19:57
Is the pain in the calves reproducable at the same distance? Does it stop as soon as you stop? Only to start again once you walk that certain distance?

j2
25-03-19, 20:19
I am sorry, I must have misspoke, the burning pain feels like a mild sunburn, it comes and goes and is not related to the running. It is where the hair loss is, but not all the time. I was just mentioning that I run several times a week. Thanks

RadioGaGa
25-03-19, 20:26
I read your post again tried to edit but it deleted

If the pain is coming from within your calves, together with hairloss, this could signal a problem with circulation to your legs. So from that respect it would be prudent to run this past your doctor.

On the other hand if the burning is superficial - that is, it feels as though its the skin and NOT the muscle, I'm at a loss. But perhaps see your GP

j2
25-03-19, 20:28
Thanks for the response. The pain is definitely on the top of my skin, like a sun burn.

KK77
25-03-19, 20:32
If there is no redness, hot sensation when you touch skin, fever, vomiting, severe pain, etc, then I'd be inclined to agree with RG that there is nothing pointing to anything serious or sinister.

j2
25-03-19, 21:50
Normally, for burning skin patches, I would worry but chalk it up to anxiety but with the hair loss on my legs, that is why am extra worried.

RadioGaGa
25-03-19, 21:55
Go and see your doctor about this because I can't think of any reason why patches of hair would suddenly disappear from your legs (it's not like it's DHT sensitive like your scalp hair AFAIK)

j2
26-03-19, 15:49
Crap, now I googled and found all kinds of terrible things. I need to calm down.

RadioGaGa
26-03-19, 16:49
Just see your doctor? Nobody can diagnose it on here - not even a qualified dermatologist could do so (or cardiologist, depending on what you think is causing it)

j2
12-04-19, 23:11
I am a 47 yr old male and a long time worrier.I have been freaking out lately about some hair loss on my shins and calves. Like, 75% of the hair on my shins and calves is gone and I feel a bit itchy.I stil have hair on my feet (gross I know) . I also have frequently cold hands and feet but it is cold outside. My question is this, is if my leg hair loss was from PAD, would the hair loss and cold hands and feet be possible if I am not having any other symptoms? I ran 5km today as I do most days and I have no cramping or weakness. Anyway, I have an appt scheduled but it will be alomst 6 weeks before I see the dr.

Thanks

nomorepanic
12-04-19, 23:13
You posted about this before and got replies so I have merged the posts.

Fishmanpa
12-04-19, 23:29
Hello, i am a 48 yr old male, long time sufferer of HA.

I am a 47 yr old male and a long time worrier.

This is the first time I've seen a poster get younger :winks: Anyway... could be an age thing as I'm less hairy in many areas. It's weird too. I seem to have way more nose and ear hair :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

RadioGaGa
13-04-19, 00:22
:roflmao:@Fishmanpa - it must be the "hair loss" causing "age loss"

@j2 - see your GP about this. Can't be diagnosed over the internet.

j2
13-04-19, 00:23
Sorry, forgot my oldness.

RadioGaGa
13-04-19, 00:24
Edit

It's funny you say that about the nasal hair, Fishman - I've developed this within the last few months (noticed the other day it was quite bad!!!) and I'm only 25 :ohmy: :scared15:(26 in August)

Fishmanpa
13-04-19, 00:57
It's funny you say that about the nasal hair, Fishman - I've developed this within the last few months (noticed the other day it was quite bad!!!) and I'm only 25 :ohmy: :scared15:(26 in August)

Sheesh! My kids are older than you! Wait til you hit 60! Not only is there more ear and nose hair but it's grey! ~lol~ I'm getting scraggly grey eyebrow hairs too!

Positive thoughts

Imeleedi
14-04-19, 18:31
Is there any hypersensitivity when your touch the affected parts of your calves? Or is it an unvarying type of pain unaffected by touch?

Also, have you been tested foe diabetes?

j2
15-04-19, 03:48
My calves don't hurt to the touch, they may be a bit itchy. As for diabetes, I get a blood drawn at least once a year and I have never had any diabetes issues in the past. Thanks