PDA

View Full Version : High Inflammation, Swollen Lymph Node, Many Symptoms

gailveronica
26-03-19, 13:55
I've had a lot of issues lately (left sided numbness and weakness, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, pins and needles, numb chin/face) and my SED rate and CRP (inflammation markers) are pretty high (SED: 36 mm/hr [0-20 mm/hr scale] and CRP 15 mg/l [0-5mg/l scale]).
I woke up Sunday with a large swollen node on my left lower side of my neck - I texted a pic to my doctor and she booked me immediately for a CT scan of neck / chest.
I went yesterday for the CT scan and the doc called 20 minutes after I left to let me know it was all clear and the radiologist saw "hardly anything" where the lump is - even though it's very visible and very sore!
I do also have a bit of a cold right now - could that cause the sore/swollen node and high inflammation rates?
My doctor said that if anything was concerning on the CT they'd have sent me for more testing, but the radiologist said it was clear.
How could it be clear when my lump is visible and painful? I'm completely at a loss on how that can happen...

_______

Edited to add the tests I've had so far:

December 19th 2018: CBC / Metabolic Panel - Normal

January 15th, 2019: Ultrasound of lump in thigh - Lipoma

February 20th, 2019: MRI Brain (no contrast) - White matter lesions, MS can't be ruled out (same was said 4 years ago, similar symptoms, but I denied testing - that was my bad lol so now neuro appt scheduled for April 15)

February 22nd, 2019: Ear infection detected, started antibiotics

March 1st, 2019: Went to Emergency Room, left sided weakness got worse, CBC / Metabolic Panel / Urinalysis - Normal

March 8th, 2019: Follow-up ER visit at my primary doctor:

SED rate [base 0-20 mm/hr]: 28 mm/hr
CRP [base 0-5 mg/l]: 8 mg/l
EBV: 3 titers positive - retest in 2 weeks after steroids

March 22nd, 2019: Follow up after EBV and Inflammation levels high:

SED rate [base 0-20 mm/hr]: 36 mm/hr
CRP [base 0-5 mg/l]:15 mg/l
EBV: 2 titers positive (shows past infection)

March 25th, 2019: CT scan neck and chest (after lump appeared in neck overnight) - clear

Fishmanpa
26-03-19, 14:40
How could it be clear when my lump is visible and painful? I'm completely at a loss on how that can happen...

Clear of anything sinister. A swollen and painful node and higher inflammation markers are due to a virus which you have.

Positive thoughts

gailveronica
26-03-19, 14:55
Thanks, Fishmanpa - you're a good voice of reason on these boards. I appreciate you. :)

gailveronica
27-03-19, 15:22
The only reason I suspect is due to the following 3 criteria:

1) continuously elevated ESR/CRP even after a week of prednisone/steroids

2) the sudden appearing lump in neck that seems to be growing within days

3) this one is ridiculous but - Numb chin. Googling numb chin syndrome brings you to many articles saying this is an ominous sign of malignancy - mostly, lymphoma.

gailveronica
04-04-19, 19:23
I got the radiology report and it reads the following:

"While there are tiny lymph nodes in nearly every station of the neck, no enlarged lymph nodes are demonstrated. Corresponding to the area of palpable concern left inferolateral aspect of the neck, deep and just posterior to the sternocleidomastoid muscle, is a 12 x 10 x 7 mm lymph node. This appears similarly with other lymph nodes throughout the neck. There are numerous small lymph nodes at every station, none enlarged using typical size criteria."

"Impression:

The patient is palpating either the posterior margin of recent clinic mastoid, fat, or a left level 5 lymph node which is normal appearing. Otherwise negative CT of the neck."

That all being said -- how is a 12 mm lymph node within normal range? It was swollen and painful -- is this not a concernable sized node? My doctor palpated and agreed it was a lymph node (not fat or a mastoid) but does the radiologist determine that this is unconcerning?

Fishmanpa
04-04-19, 21:21
Great news and totally as I thought all along! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

gailveronica
04-04-19, 21:32
Hahahaha thanks, Fishmanpa -- so the 12mm is just a small little guy with no concerning features, eh?

Fishmanpa
04-04-19, 22:07
Hahahaha thanks, Fishmanpa -- so the 12mm is just a small little guy with no concerning features, eh?

"While there are tiny lymph nodes in nearly every station of the neck, no enlarged lymph nodes are demonstrated. There are numerous small lymph nodes at every station, none enlarged using typical size criteria."

"Impression:

The patient is palpating either the posterior margin of recent clinic mastoid, fat, or a left level 5 lymph node which is normal appearing. (i.e. poking and prodding) Otherwise negative CT of the neck."

Positive thoughts

gailveronica
16-04-19, 14:40
For anyone who has been following my story:
I had my neurologist appointment yesterday - he said my brain MRI is clear and the white matter lesions are common with migraine syndrome. It is NOT multiple sclerosis (as my previous neurologist 4 years ago thought). He is running a full spine MRI to see if we can get to the bottom of the paresthesia in my left side (leg, arm, face) but he said that this is common with anxiety/stress and is expecting a clean scan.
He also stated that my inflammation levels are high (SED/ESR and CRP) and a trip to a rheumatologist / hematologist will be in order, but that it is not a neurological issue.
Which of course makes me think it's still cancer (due to my enlarged lymph node) but I need to calm the heck down. I don't have MS and this is good news.