PDA

View Full Version : just when you think your anx has gone.........

happyone
08-09-07, 16:03
I was thinking (yep! smell the burning!)

When I first came here anx was a huge deal in my life. I was getting that I didn't want to go out of the door, cried if I had to go to shops, threw up before going other places, thought I would faint in docs surgery, obsessive thoughts etc etc (I don't need to describe it...you all know the symptoms!)

Then I was treated for depression, a bit later, bipolar mood disorder. My anx has reduced to such a small amount compared to what it used to be. I still get anx, but I generally can do whatever I need to do without too much bother and some situations don't bother me at all now, like Tesco's:yesyes: (even at the weekend!)

What is the point I am trying to make? I am getting there ...honest!

Every now and then, I get little reminders of how it used to be. Ectopics are a frequent one, and needing to go to loo NOW (TMI:blush:).

BUT!!!!! Over the past week I had been looking for a holiday in the sun. It was just to be me and my mum...no kids. I had found one, lovely place, great price, ideal flight times etc etc and phoned up to book it. The computers were down so the guy said he would phone me back. When I got off the phone.....MAJOR PA!!!! I all of a sudden decided that if I went on that holiday...I would die. I got the works, hyperventilating, tight chest, feeling I was going to die if I so much as picked up the phone! The phone rang, I let it ring out (twice!) I threw up after ignoring the phone and retired to bed (turning off the ringer on the bedroom phone) I had nightmares through the night and the following day I ignored the phone again. I spent the day in dread (tight chest, nausea, pins and needles etc etc), worrying that if I even spoke to the guy from the holiday company that he would pressure me into booking it and I would therefore die:wacko:

What I did instead was book another holiday!! With my husband and kids but near home for over the weekend in the middle of the holiday that I was supposed to be going with my mum! So if the guy phoned, I was otherwise engaged! After that I began to relax.

Now, even though I knew at the time that I was experiencing classic panic (and a bit ocd) symptoms...it didn't help. I don't regret not booking the week in the sun (but I may after spending a weekend in a caravan with hubby and two kids!) and I still believe I might die if I go away without my girls. The problem being is that I have a weekend booked to go away with my friend in October and whilst it is not out of this country it is far from home and I won't have my car with me. The anx is rising, even thinking about it.

Anyone experienced similar reminders that the old anxiety beast still exists? Any suggestions to help me not take a flakey last minute and not go away with my friend?

happyone
xx

Quirky
08-09-07, 21:49
Hi mate,

I'm afraid I can't think of anything clever or sensible to say or suggest right now but I do understand how annoying it is when anxiety symptoms come back like that when we least expect them :hugs: .

My mind is just blank on suggestions tonight (sorry) but I know you will go away with your friend and have a lovely time in October, you're like me you do things even if you worry about them beforehand and this time will be no different I bet :hugs: . You have faced far worse than this weekend away mate so you can do this too. I bet you'll have such a great time with your friend that you'll be so glad you went.

So there is my not very helpful reply :blush:

Lisa x

happyone
08-09-07, 21:56
Thanks lisa,

I am actually best ignored today. I am talking crap.

thank you for your reply and thank you for giving a damn.

Happyone
xx

honeybee3939
08-09-07, 21:56
Hi Happy

I can understand just how you are feeling as i too get panicky if i am going away. I have a week off work this week and have arranged to go to the coast with my husband and spend a couple of evenings at my sisters caravan. Of course all the "what ifs" have started going around in my head, im a right home bird and panic at the slighest thought of been away from it. But i dont no why because everytime i have gone away i have been fine and anxiety free and realy enjoyed myself. Im sure you will be fine too Happy, it will probably do you the world of good hun. :) You get yourself off and have a great time !:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

Quirky
08-09-07, 22:04
I am actually best ignored today. I am talking crap.

thank you for your reply and thank you for giving a damn.

Happyone
xx

You are not talking crap at all mate :hugs: But you're right that I do give a damn, I care about you alot :hugs: I hope you're ok mate :flowers:

Quirky x

Coni
09-09-07, 10:13
Hi Happyone,

I know just how you feel, as I am exactly the same when I am going away.

I am supposed to be going to New York in just under 2 weeks and I feel physically sick about it. It seemed like a great idea when I agreed to it , but I have worried about it ever since. Now I honestly dont know whether I will go or not....my stomach heaves at the thought of it.

I am trying to talk myself round, tell myself all these feelings are just based on my anxious thoughts instead of reality....but to be honest I dont know if its working....I'll let you know... maybe I'll be the one having a flaky last minute lol!

You seem such a strong person happyone and it seems like youve got through a lot....I think if you can you should just go for it (easier said than done I know)....sometimes the anticipation is much worse than the reality.

luv Coni XX