PDA

View Full Version : Working VISA for Australia: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

CrippledInside
01-04-19, 10:12
So I worry too much. Has been a constant problem for as long as I can remember. I turned 30 last November and having no kids, relationship or a mortgage I figured I should make an active effort to do something with myself. And after spending a month with family in Sydney I thought a working VISA in Australia would be perfect for me. Bolstered by the understanding that if I don't make an effort to do something with myself now, I never will.

I bought the VISA when I returned last October, meaning I have till October this year to use it. The deadline grows ever closer, let i'm not excited the least bit. In truth i'm terrified. I'm not practised in making decisions like this, in fact I avoid them. I worry intensely about how I be in situations usually alien to me. I just don't think I have the confidence and right attitude to make a success of this decision to live and work in Australia for up to year. I have anxiety, and I worry about all that which i'm losing. I have a good job, not too taxing on the mind and the pay is good. Currently i'm renting with a close friend, and I really enjoy that too. Point being I feel like a have a few things i'd be set to lose if I went, creature comforts if you will that I hold pretty dear. I think I'm a creature of habit. I can get comfortable and complacent in most situations that I'm familiar with, but if i'm honest with myself I actually have a pretty decent and easy life as a result. Change and action are often alien concepts to me.

I recently spoke to a friend who had just spent time travelling Australia. She worked for 7 months and left went out there with 15k - and spent it all. I have only 3k for a start. But besides the point, she told me flat out I shouldn't do it. Being that I don't have the security of getting my job in the UK back. Further to this, she told me of other friends out there, still desperately looking for a job, all the while spending money in a wildly expensive country.

Well naturally I jumped on this. I thought this is the excuse I need not to go! Is is just fear that's holding me back with this decision? Or do I genuinely not want to go? I don't drive either, and it seems pretty redundant to go to that vast country if i'm narrowing my view of it with travel limitations. If I make the decision to stay (which is likely). I intend to grow up a bit.. I'll learn to drive, save more money on top of what I have and get a mortgage, you know, the whole adult thing.

Orr should I feel the fear and do it any way, and not pass up on a chance of lifetime?

PLEASE HELP!!

Jake

ErinKC
01-04-19, 23:35
I think you're experiencing a health amount of anxiety about what would be a pretty enormous life change. I also don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. The concerns you and your friend brought up are real ones that even those without anxiety would explore. Before quitting your job and moving off to another country you should be reasonably certain you'll have enough money to live for a bit and a fairly good prospect of getting a job if you don't already have one.

Do you know anyone in Sydney? Does your family live there or were you just all traveling there together?

I think this could be an amazing adventure. I know someone who suffered terrible with anxiety and depression who managed to overcome these things and move from the US to New Zealand for work. Granted, she was transferring within her company, but she didn't know anyone there. It ended up expanding her horizons so much, giving her so much confidence, that she has met and married a wonderful man there and built a lovely life.

You have a good chunk of time to make your decision. I would pull out a notebook and make a good ol' pro vs con list, then think in more concrete terms about what type of work you'd get there, where you'd live, etc... If you can develop a plan that makes good financial and personal sense, I say go for it! If not, like you said, decide to start building the life you want right where you are.