PDA

View Full Version : Dementia?

jojo2316
01-04-19, 13:22
So. I’ve been pretty refrained recently about posting about my silly daily struggle with HA, but I wanted to put this one out there.
Recently I’ve lost my train of thought, quite spectacularly, at least twice. Once I was telling a story to some friends and became fleetingly distracted by something then when I came back to my story I had completely forgotten the point I was making. It was quite embarrassing. I just stopped and said “nope. I can’t remember what I was going to say. Sorry!”. The other time I can’t remember (lol) but I’m sure it happened.
Could this be early onset dementia or a brain tumour (one of my Big Three HA favourites)....? Or just noticing something that is quite normal and common?

BlueIris
01-04-19, 13:31
This happens to me absolutely all the time; it's nothing to worry about, promise!

jojo2316
01-04-19, 13:36
Oh Blueiris- you are the very best! I hope you know that!
xxxxxxx

BlueIris
01-04-19, 13:46
You're pretty awesome, too! :bighug1:

Worrywort80
01-04-19, 13:51
If it helps, I get this and I’m 38 year old male, and I very much assume I’ve not got dementia yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
01-04-19, 14:09
If that was dementia I would have had dementia 50 times a day. And/or a brain tumour 50 times a day.

jojo2316
01-04-19, 14:40
well I’m a 42 year old female. But you know how the HA brain works. Find a symptom, amplify it, cast around for other symptoms which fit a catastrophic diagnosis and BOOM! You

ankietyjoe
01-04-19, 16:03
I'm a 47 year old male

jojo2316
01-04-19, 16:50
well I’m a 42 year old female. But you know how the HA brain works. Find a symptom, amplify it, cast around for other symptoms which fit a catastrophic diagnosis and BOOM! You
Omg. I didn’t even finish my sentence in my own post about memory loss! Lol.... but also Arrrgh!

BlueIris
01-04-19, 16:51
At any given time I have about five half-finished tasks on my desk at work, and I often check my tabs and find myself halfway through a sentence.

KK77
01-04-19, 16:57
I think memory and "brain fog" are much overlooked components of anxiety/stress. Stress can scramble the mind of non-anxiety sufferers too, so being able to function "normally" whilst having a constant background noise of anxiety is a feat in itself. Of course memory will be affected and the mind easily distracted. Our anxious minds are hyper-vigilant and constantly scanning. You might be listening or speaking but the subconscious mind is more concerned about what others are thinking rather than saying. So in a sense we're only partially listening and paying attention. This is how memory is affected because in order to properly store a memory there must be sufficient attention in the first place.

Certainly not anything like dementia or a tumour, where mental deficits are far more noticeable and dramatic (not to mention progressive).

jojo2316
01-04-19, 16:58
At any given time I have about five half-finished tasks on my desk at work, and I often check my tabs and find myself halfway through a sentence.

Actually I think I did write the rest of it, but must’ve highlighted and deleted it by accident. At least I HOPE that’s what happened!!
How is your day going Iris? Enjoying the last of the sun?

LouiseAndy
01-04-19, 17:19
I rather sadly work with two people with dementia as work of my job. Ones in the later stages and ones in the earlier stages. I'm not trained professional but from working with these people for the last three years I don't think you have much to worry about--besides that horrible anixety x!

BlueIris
01-04-19, 17:29
Actually I think I did write the rest of it, but must’ve highlighted and deleted it by accident. At least I HOPE that’s what happened!!
How is your day going Iris? Enjoying the last of the sun?

I'm medically banned from enjoying the sun ;) I forgot my hat today, though, so I did enjoy it a little bit. I'm very much enjoying being done with work for the day, though.

pulisa
01-04-19, 18:03
Nooooooo jojo!!!!

You are a hard working Mum who also has to contend with a constant stream of intrusive thoughts flooding her brain. Even without the anxiety disorder these occurrences would be a normal feature of daily life with people to care for and tasks to be done.

There's no hope for me if you think you have dementia and I've got 20 years on you! I've also got my daughter monitoring me for any "slip up" of cognitive skills! It's so easy to lose your "thread" especially when you are tired and overwhelmed xx

jojo2316
01-04-19, 18:17
I think memory and "brain fog" are much overlooked components of anxiety/stress. Stress can scramble the mind of non-anxiety sufferers too, so being able to function "normally" whilst having a constant background noise of anxiety is a feat in itself. Of course memory will be affected and the mind easily distracted. Our anxious minds are hyper-vigilant and constantly scanning. You might be listening or speaking but the subconscious mind is more concerned about what others are thinking rather than saying. So in a sense we're only partially listening and paying attention. This is how memory is affected because in order to properly store a memory there must be sufficient attention in the first place.

Certainly not anything like dementia or a tumour, where mental deficits are far more noticeable and dramatic (not to mention progressive).

Yes. I think that is a lot of it. It’s so easy to have all that mental chatter going on- it’s hard to focus properly. I hope it’s that!

jojo2316
01-04-19, 18:19
Nooooooo jojo!!!!

You are a hard working Mum who also has to contend with a constant stream of intrusive thoughts flooding her brain. Even without the anxiety disorder these occurrences would be a normal feature of daily life with people to care for and tasks to be done.

There's no hope for me if you think you have dementia and I've got 20 years on you! I've also got my daughter monitoring me for any "slip up" of cognitive skills! It's so easy to lose your "thread" especially when you are tired and overwhelmed xx

oh goodness Pulisa- I hope your sweet daughter doesn’t point out your “slip ups” to you!
And thank you. Just what I needed to hear! Xxxx

pulisa
01-04-19, 19:27
Oh she does....Mistakes aren't tolerated!