PDA

View Full Version : Heartbeat in left ear

helenhoo
02-04-19, 23:31
Last few days I could hear heartbeat in left ear as fell to sleep but didn't think anything of it but just heart beating harded because anxiety. However tonight I stupidly googled it and saw it could mean an aneurysm or a tumor so now I'm absolutely terrified.

nomorepanic
02-04-19, 23:35
As I said in your other post - stop googling and when are you getting the therapy?

RadioGaGa
03-04-19, 00:37
Can I ask one question: How do you cope on a day-to-day basis? You don't even report taking as much as a benzo for your anxiety. I have yet to see another poster on here, with the level of health anxiety you attest to have, who isn't in therapy at the very least. And I've yet to see a serial poster who reports worrying about the most trivial things to which you profess. In fact, I've never seen anything like it.

As well - yes mental health funding isn't exactly great here in the UK (OK, it's far from it) but how are you having this much trouble getting phone assisted CBT? You've been waiting on CBT for, what, 3 years now? Nobody else on here has reported such issues.

I'm sorry but something just isn't​ adding up here.

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-19, 02:21
Can I ask one question: How do you cope on a day-to-day basis? You don't even report taking as much as a benzo for your anxiety. I have yet to see another poster on here, with the level of health anxiety you attest to have, who isn't in therapy at the very least. And I've yet to see a serial poster who reports worrying about the most trivial things to which you profess. In fact, I've never seen anything like it.

As well - yes mental health funding isn't exactly great here in the UK (OK, it's far from it) but how are you having this much trouble getting phone assisted CBT? You've been waiting on CBT for, what, 3 years now? Nobody else on here has reported such issues.

I'm sorry but something just isn't​ adding up here.

Sorry but I've seen far far worse on NMP. How about people in & out of psychiatric wards or the person who's GF had to wash & feed him in bed because of his anxiety and alcohol abuse?

Reb keeps up a day job, goes on holidays, travelled abroad to work...that's not severe anxiety by any definition.

Trouble getting phone assisted CBT, you can't even get that in my area as it's not a service offered? Do you mean the incredibly weak Level 2 service where you get a PWP giving you the same kind of basic advice you can look up on any anxiety support group? She hasn't been on a waiting list for years. She only started asking for it in recent months and prior to this was using walk-in centres and then just ending up back on here. She has had Level 2 care and is now in the queue for Level 3...which can take longer to access.

ErinKC
03-04-19, 02:39
Sorry but I've seen far far worse on NMP. How about people in & out of psychiatric wards or the person who's GF had to wash & feed him in bed because of his anxiety and alcohol abuse?

Reb keeps up a day job, goes on holidays, travelled abroad to work...that's not severe anxiety by any definition.

Trouble getting phone assisted CBT, you can't even get that in my area as it's not a service offered? Do you mean the incredibly weak Level 2 service where you get a PWP giving you the same kind of basic advice you can look up on any anxiety support group? She hasn't been on a waiting list for years. She only started asking for it in recent months and prior to this was using walk-in centres and then just ending up back on here. She has had Level 2 care and is now in the queue for Level 3...which can take longer to access.

Are there any private mental health care options in the UK? It does seem crazy how long it takes to get in to see someone. I spend an arm and a leg on my therapy - probably over $1000/year - but I got an appointment the same week I called and see her twice a month. Are there any options for getting in to see someone right away?

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-19, 02:58
Are there any private mental health care options in the UK? It does seem crazy how long it takes to get in to see someone. I spend an arm and a leg on my therapy - probably over $1000/year - but I got an appointment the same week I called and see her twice a month. Are there any options for getting in to see someone right away?

Yes, there are tones of them everywhere. We have no real regulation of the private sector so anyone can study an online diploma with 100 hours at an online college and set up a practice a few months later. But there are also plenty of ex nurses, psychiatrists and psycholigists as well as therapists/counsellors who have obtained what the industry classes as having enough patient hours to be able to practice and have an ethical framework. We do also have bogus self regulatory bodies e.g. attached to training companies so you get a diploma and an official looking body that says you are fit to practice
:whistles:

It depends if you can afford it. About £40-80 in many areas but can go way up. Anyone at psychiatrist/psychologist level will cost you tons like a private a GP would. It was £40-80 for my area (one of the poorer areas of the UK compared to those in the bigger cities down south) so based on your 2xpcm would be in $1260-2521 in your money. For me a local psychiatrist is more like $262-328 per visit so you can imagine how those guys rack up their new Mercedes.

It depends on what is needed. Level 2 services can be accessed in approximately 30 days or should be. Level 3 means getting into a fully trained therapist/counsellor who offers the more traditional CBT style approach which can be 12-15 sessions over a longer period of time. But these services can be overly bureaucratic and insist you do Level 2 knowing you need Level 3 because it's "procedure" which I believe is more about controlling patients than it is following the IAPT guidelines and some services will assess you to go straight into the appropriate level.

When I went through this about 5 years ago I was told Level 2 wasn't enough but patients couldn't go straight to Level 3. I thought any help is better than none so went with it. At the end they told me I then had to go into a 3 month waiting list simply because I was moving from one level to another. This was a good 6 months in and I had already lost 3 months getting to Level 2 because my GP messed up the referrals (I wasn't aware I could self refer back then and my GP said he would do it). Imagine my employer at this point? I was already into their procedures to force you back or get rid of you.

Some on here have been waiting 12 months to see someone through the IAPT service. They have written on their frustration.

But yes, you can easily Google and the various local directories will bring up lists of local private people. Then it's a matter of sifting the bogus letters after their names from the credible. There are even ways to join university programmes, some have advertised on here in the past, where they are supervising post graduates who need to build their patient hours for their doctorates. There are some concessions like through charities such as Anxiety UK where joining them gives you a concession rate, including a sliding scale based on circumstances, and access to therapists/counsellors they have approved. Some will even give concession rates or freebies to build up or boost their required hours for certifications or ongoing certification hours.

For many though private healthcare is for those who earn more. We pay our taxes to cover us under the NHS so most won't have private healthcare plans. Some will have them through employers, again those on better wages :whistles:, but many companies offer private services as part of occupation care but they can be patchy and restrictive as well as having dubious links back into telling your manager what they are doing if you are under performance monitoring measures and legally employers are not obliged to follow what they say anyway as I found when I went through it all :winks:

pulisa
03-04-19, 08:39
As I said in your other post - stop googling and when are you getting the therapy?

In her last thread she said that she was going to be contacted on the 2nd April so it will be interesting to hear what happened...

Reb is very lucky to have had so many chances to access therapy especially when there has been no progress ostensibly. Others aren't so fortunate and are shown the therapy door.

LF87
03-04-19, 09:18
I have seen a psychologist privately, when I was younger, and was more recently referred into the NHS talking therapies. I can honestly say it was useless for me - I got sent home with a leaflet about OCD and health anxiety. I am very aware of both conditions. The following session was again discussing what CBT is, again, I know this, had it before, read countless books. Infact I felt I knew more than the young woman who was the therapist. Next session was a brief discussion of how I got on with my reading of leaflets. The sessions were only half an hour, so by the time I'd sat down and took my coat off and discussed the leaflets I had 10 minutes to try learn something new. I didn't go back and am hoping to go back private when I can afford it. I'm not knocking the nhs but wow does the game need upped in mental health treatment.
What could be an option for the poster is a CPN in the community, which is I suppose the next level as you describe Terry. That will be hour long sessions weekly and probably of more benefit, but that requires a certain pathway determined by GP and therapist you see before that.
FYI I get heartbeat sounds in my ear too, think it's just one of those things.

RadioGaGa
03-04-19, 10:24

Yes, that is 'severe' but that's the point I've been trying to make - how can someone who worries over every single noise their body makes NOT be even half as bad as that? Not once has she ever posted a 'symptom' on here which has actually been deserving of medical attention AFAIK.

I just find it very hard to believe somebody can worry about trivial/normal physiological symptoms to this extent and still cope on a day-to-day basis. I'm surprised she actually isn't abusing alcohol and receiving inpatient care.

Having an aunt who has tried to commit suicide on several occasions, and to this day is still VERY much affected by mental health issues, I take the issue very seriously. It must not be made a mockery of.

It is in my humble opinion there's something not quite right going on here.

And, as usual, she ignores any questions she's asked.

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-19, 13:21
Yes, that is 'severe' but that's the point I've been trying to make - how can someone who worries over every single noise their body makes NOT be even half as bad as that? Not once has she ever posted a 'symptom' on here which has actually been deserving of medical attention AFAIK.

I just find it very
hard to believe somebody can worry about trivial/normal physiological symptoms to this extent and still cope on a day-to-day basis. I'm surprised she actually isn't abusing alcohol and receiving inpatient care.

Having an aunt who has tried to commit suicide on several occasions, and to this day is still VERY much affected by mental health issues, I take the issue very seriously. It must not be made a mockery of.

But that's my point too, that what you are regarding severe isn't severe. Whilst I'm not a HAer I am an OCDer and the level time she puts into obsessive-compulsive cycles isn't the all day encompassing like of the severe sufferer who is so immersed in them they can't even go to work or much else. It's a mistake to judge severity based on posting repetitiveness, people Tweet this size of text tons of times a day or post more on other forums talking about general stuff.

You also can't make a judgement of severity based on what you regard as trivial. To the non anxious most of what is ever raised on this board is trivial.

How many on here have posted symptoms that aren't worth pursuing? We see them daily in great volume.

She has shown that it's the gaps she struggles with. When kept busy she is less likely to be listening to her thoughts hence why people have encouraged her to distract herself.

And points such as waiting years for telephone CBT are not factual. She spent ages resisting seeking it and it's only recently she has made those strides. She spent years chasing symptoms and us saying to get into therapy but she didn't even have a GP to be keeping an eye on her behaviour as to raise this because she was using the walk-ins.

You also stated you had never seen anyone worry about such trivial things to this point. The Reb's of the forum have long been a debate on here to the point Admin now have a policy about it.

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-19, 13:34
I have seen a psychologist privately, when I was younger, and was more recently referred into the NHS talking therapies. I can honestly say it was useless for me - I got sent home with a leaflet about OCD and health anxiety. I am very aware of both conditions. The following session was again discussing what CBT is, again, I know this, had it before, read countless books. Infact I felt I knew more than the young woman who was the therapist. Next session was a brief discussion of how I got on with my reading of leaflets. The sessions were only half an hour, so by the time I'd sat down and took my coat off and discussed the leaflets I had 10 minutes to try learn something new. I didn't go back and am hoping to go back private when I can afford it. I'm not knocking the nhs but wow does the game need upped in mental health treatment.
What could be an option for the poster is a CPN in the community, which is I suppose the next level as you describe Terry. That will be hour long sessions weekly and probably of more benefit, but that requires a certain pathway determined by GP and therapist you see before that.
FYI I get heartbeat sounds in my ear too, think it's just one of those things.

CPN's are Level 4 services above the IAPT structure and need a GP referral to get into. She may yet get that far. To go straight to it she would need to be truly severe enough and that's not someone who works, holidays, has an enjoyable social life, etc unless they are into something like self harm I would have though. Some people on here have said CPN's work better for them though as they are more able to be with you as expose yourself to things as opposed to therapists who are more office based so it's always a good possibility to explore.

I know exactly what you mean about the experience you describe. I didn't have your knowledge of anxiety or CBT when I started down this path but doing so now Level 2 services like that would be pointless to me.

My Level 2 was 5 20 minute telephone chats about what was going on. Because she said I needed Level 3 (High Intensity Therapy) it just wasn't going to be enough and she dotted back & forth between issues trying to firefight rather than focus on something. It felt all over the place to me. I was given some worksheets to read, which are easily found online.

I agree, I think IAPT is a strip down created not so much with the patient in mind as to fill a service gap for NHS execs. It ticks a box to say they are doing something. The people within it are working hard to help us and I don't criticise them for this...and if anything they will likely be the most critical as they will see patients passing through without getting to the stage they must wish for us. When someone takes a complex set of variables and says 12 weeks regardless it says less about the assessment of the individual and more about a standard level of service to me. There is little variance to it which is strange.

Violet Blue
03-04-19, 14:25

I just find it very hard to believe somebody can worry about trivial/normal physiological symptoms to this extent and still cope on a day-to-day basis. I'm surprised she actually isn't abusing alcohol and receiving inpatient care.

I would advise anyone to be about as concerned for Helen as she would be for them, ie not at all. :shades:

Your aunt is very lucky to have you in her life. I hope she is alright at the moment.

NMP is anonymous, and no one actually knows how truthful anyone is about what they are going through. However, some people are appreciative of help, so it would be wise to only worry about them on here. :flowers:

RadioGaGa
03-04-19, 15:38
Very true Violet Blue! I think this is a bit of a lost cause. I'll just stick to the posters who actually want help!

helenhoo
09-04-19, 14:17
So it went away for a few days and now it's back. Left ear sensation of heartbeat in rythmn of my pulse.

Midnight-mouse
09-04-19, 14:20
So it went away for a few days and now it's back. Left ear sensation of heartbeat in rythmn of my pulse.

What about it is concerning to you? It’s something I’ve always considered normal, it’s just your heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helenhoo
09-04-19, 15:26
I've read it can be anerysm or tumor pressing on arteries

Midnight-mouse
09-04-19, 15:51
I've read it can be anerysm or tumor pressing on arteries

I think this is why google is one of the worst thing an anxious mind can partake in, it’s a completely normal sensation. I can’t even count the amount of times it’s happened - mainly also because I don’t give it a second thought at all.

BlueIris
09-04-19, 15:59
This happens to me on a fairly regular basis, either when I'm lying in bed at night or when I bend down.

helenhoo
09-04-19, 22:29
Do most people have it? I feel my head is pulsing now too.

jojo2316
09-04-19, 23:04
I get this too fairly often.

Midnight-mouse
10-04-19, 08:49
Do most people have it? I feel my head is pulsing now too.

I would say yes, I’ve had it this morning and my partner says he experiences it too.

helenhoo
19-04-19, 23:50
It's not every day but I just tested to see if in left ear and there are thumps rhythm to hearbeat and tried right ear too and it's there aswell. So so frightened. Please help.

Midnight-mouse
20-04-19, 00:26
It's not every day but I just tested to see if in left ear and there are thumps rhythm to hearbeat and tried right ear too and it's there aswell. So so frightened. Please help.

You know that this is your anxiety, I’ve said before that hearing your heartbeat is really very normal. Is there something that’s causing you stress in your life right now?

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

BlueIris
20-04-19, 05:19
You've been reassured over this any number of times, Helen. You need to learn to help yourself.

helenhoo
20-04-19, 08:13
I read on brain anerysm site that some people had this and in rare occasions heartbeat in ear can mean anerysm. If people could try for me and let me know if they do?

BlueIris
20-04-19, 08:20
I'm actually not sure what you're asking here. I repeat, though, you need to learn to help yourself and stop looking at sites that you know will trigger your health anxiety.

You can't expect people on an online forum to take responsibility for your health - that's your job.

helenhoo
20-04-19, 08:57
That whether you have it or someone else has it? Sometimes I have listen for it and other times it's obviously there.

BlueIris
20-04-19, 09:11
Yes, I have it, at night or when I bend over.

I'd suggest you quit listening for it and find something more interesting to do.

KK77
20-04-19, 10:21
Think rationally, Helen. You know lots of people get this when they listen for it or when lying in bed. It is harmless. Aneurysm would be fatal by now. You would not be here asking about it.

List all the reasons why this is just your health anxiety playing up (again) :lac:

nomorepanic
20-04-19, 11:56
Please stop creating multiple posts about the same problem and stick to ONE post. You are just creating more work for the admins and you have been here long enough to know that we then have to merge them.

helenhoo
20-04-19, 20:30
My sister says she has it and my boyfriend said he does but I've read online it can mean anerysm. Sometimes right ear I have to *really* listen for it. The left ear is much more clearer.

BlueIris
20-04-19, 20:35
So, what are you planning on doing about it?

helenhoo
20-04-19, 20:52
Might go walk in clinic to see if they think it's an emergency. Did you say you can hear yours in ear? If it's 'common' why does it link to anerysm?

BlueIris
20-04-19, 20:54
Because these sites list all eventualities. That doesn't make them in any way likely.

helenhoo
20-04-19, 21:00
And you have it tpo Iris?

BlueIris
20-04-19, 21:03
I'm not going to help you feed your dragon, Helen. We can't recover for you. That's something you have to do - if you really want to.

jray23
21-04-19, 03:24
I've read it can be anerysm or tumor pressing on arteriesI've read that hiccups can be a sign of cancer. Don't believe the worst-case scenario of what you read. This is an irrational thought process.

I get the pulsing ear from time to time as well. It's perfectly normal.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

helenhoo
22-04-19, 16:57
It's more I feel it in my ear that hear it. Right at the back where ear drum is. Should I go docs to be checked out? I've had random headaches various locations today.

nomorepanic
22-04-19, 17:26
Helen you are an adult and can decide on your own if you need to see a doctor or not.

We will say no you don't need to but you won't listen to us or believe us.

helenhoo
22-04-19, 22:44
Sometimes I have twitch in face as I fall asleep near my nose (few months and occasionally) and tonight I have a slight on off ache on eye socket under eye. Stresssssing now.

nomorepanic
22-04-19, 22:59
Helen you are an adult and can decide on your own if you need to see a doctor or not.

We will say no you don't need to but you won't listen to us or believe us.

If you continue to ignore us then we are going to start ignoring you to be honest

jray23
23-04-19, 02:21
It's more I feel it in my ear that hear it. Right at the back where ear drum is. Should I go docs to be checked out? I've had random headaches various locations today.You (and your therapist if you see one) should set very specific, rules on what has to happen to make it ok for you to seek medical opinion. I do not mean what kind of symptoms either. I mean actual rules - like how long between appointments, provable illness (like a fever 100+ for example) etc. Setting these rules was one of the very first things my therapist and I settled on when I started therapy. If you do that, you'll never have to wonder if you should or shouldn't go. If you don't have a therapist, perhaps we can help you decide on what rules you'll follow.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Violet Blue
23-04-19, 05:33
If you continue to ignore us then we are going to start ignoring you to be honest

Unfortunately this won't happen, which is why Helen continues, and actually appears to be considerably cleverer than those who are trying to help her. :shades:

Lajaca
23-04-19, 07:54
Helen - this is very normal. You’re stressing and worrying making your anxiety worse. Which are causing new symptoms.

Don’t know if it’s just me ,but few years ago my health anxiety was very bad, and I wouldn’t listen to anyone who told me my symptoms were completely harmless. I was constantly googling and asking people for reassurance then going to pharmacy , and doctors.
It’s an awful state to be in , so she probably isn’t listening as she’s in a bad way.
I do hope she gets all the help she needs.

BlueIris
23-04-19, 07:56
From what I've been able to see, Lajaca, this has been going on for years. Helen's been told all this before but refuses to acknowledge the advice she's offered, much less actually act on it.

venusbluejeans
23-04-19, 21:46
Further to our thread which you can find here which we would like you to read in the first instance....

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?182032-A-message-from-the-admins-please-read

Secondly, If you find this thread annoying or feel that the OP is being discourteous and you start to get frustrated with them not appearing to take your advice on board then we uge you to step away from this thread and click onto the unanswered threads link on the forum home page ........Then we would ask you to reply to some of the threads that go unanswered while people are replying to this thread and getting frustrated. These members, whose concerns are just as important (sometimes more important) as this thread but never tend to get replies as members concentrate on the constant posters on the forum so can honestly feel so completely ignored that they never come back to NMP as they feel no one really cares about their problems when they see threads with lots of replies.

Isn't it better to reply to someone who would be genuinely thankful that you have taken the time to reply to them rather than someone who doesn't? You will feel so much better in yourself that you have helped someone who will actually take on board what you say and thank you than you would replying to this thread..

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/57468052_1119740194896706_8222731604204716032_n.pn g?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=1353f44ec8e576477762ded1e0475538&oe=5D2B4884

helenhoo
24-04-19, 20:49
Thank you all for the replies. I'm now worried because I have a headache on and off at base of skull left side now and then and few days I have nausea

Carys
24-04-19, 22:28
Brilliant comment about the unanswered threads, I try and have a look every other day using that function and it is sad to see those who have ZERO replies and really appreciate them.

venusbluejeans
24-04-19, 22:58
Brilliant comment about the unanswered threads, I try and have a look every other day using that function and it is sad to see those who have ZERO replies and really appreciate them.

Thank you for that Carys, it means a lot to people to get a reply from someone when maybe they wouldn't normally..... even if it is just a "I don't really have any advice for you but just wanted to let you know I read your thread and hope someone reads it who has advice for you... good luck"

Carys
25-04-19, 08:23
Yep, and also........having myself in the distant past started a couple of threads, which had like 60 odd views and not one reply.....it makes you start to worry. I know people posting already feel isolated and scared, and seeing that people are silently reading and have nothing to say, not even a comforting word is really upsetting.