PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

stevep
09-09-07, 01:46
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, but certainly not to panic attacks and panic about my health. I've had some really bad panic attacks in the past, they have ruled my life for the last 10years..there are so many things I can't do because of panic and anxiety. I am scared of heights, tall buildings, open spaces and daily life is certainly tricky for me.

It all started really badly just after christmas..I was visiting a department store in a large shopping complex, when I had one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had..I litterally thought I was going to die there and then..I must have looked like a right freak, pacing up and down, sweating, gulping for breath and going dizzy. This attack made me so scared that it started to bring on symptoms of agraphobia..I was afraid to leave the house, and when I did leave the house..I got really really bad palpitations and pins and needles in my arms. I really thought I was going to have a heart attack.

One day it all got too much and I was taken to hospital by an ambulance, they did ecg's and blood tests on me..all were fine (a little high colestrol but thats all)..I've lost count of the number of tests I've had done...chest xrays, neck xrays, blood tests, ecgs..etc.

I have now recently started to get hot sore soles of my feet, my palms and my lips..also I keep having really bad dizzy spells. I keep going really weak, shaky and sweat..I'm going to go and see the doctor on monday, but I think secretly she's getting sick of me :D

God, is there ever any end to this..I want my life back, there is so much I wish I could do.

Anyway, thats my story, thanks for listening.

Steve

cattttt
09-09-07, 05:45
Welcome Steve, we've all been through this, and many of us have managed to get it under control, so can you. If your doctor is getting sick of you, try to change your doc, find one that can help you. Have you talked to her about anxiety? That might be the first step. She can refer you for cbt, and give you some med that will help in the meantime. Have a read on this site about things you can do to help yourself, I've found them really good and still use them when the anxiety starts to creep up on me again ( I've been at home on my own today for the first time since the anxiety has receded, started to have a panic attack, over eating peanut butter!!!, but managed to get it under control so I'm giving myself a pat on the back).
You can do it Steve, start now!!!!

Amanda3266
09-09-07, 08:42
Welcome Steve. Don't worry - you are in good company here as we've all been there and many of us still are "there" periodically - me included.
The hot symptoms you describe and the dizziness are classic anxiety symptoms - mine used to be like that (and still can be from time to time) but the difference is that I now recognise them for what they are. Doesn't always help take them away BUT I can rationalise them in a way I never used to be able to. Take a good look round the site. As Catttt says there is lots of info and good advice here to support you.
When you see your Doc - get her to check you over but tell her you think it's anxiety - she'll probably already know this but ask her what's available to help you.

You sound fine - just anxious with all the symptoms which go along with it. Stay in touch with us here - we all understand exactly how paralysing the symptoms are.

stevep
09-09-07, 11:42
Thanks Cattttt & Amanda for the welcome..good to know I am in good company. I will give the advice you've given serious thought..it's good to have a place to come and share my feelings :)

PUGLETMUM
09-09-07, 12:25
:) hi stevep,

hello and i agree with what the others have said, the more you accept that the anxiety cant hurt you the more able you are to deal with it.

and alot of people have got better or made great progress with the help of others they have met through nmp, or just being able to see that you are not alone may help you too.

all the best emma:winks:

nomorepanic
09-09-07, 13:41
Hi Steve

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope you don't mind but I will move this to the Intro forum so more people can welcome you aboard.

Hope we can be of some help.

trac67
09-09-07, 13:45
Hi

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

KrazyKaz07
09-09-07, 13:45
Hello Steve and :welcome:

Southern_Belle
09-09-07, 15:05
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the site. Many here feel exactly like you and you will get support. Good luck on Monday.

Hugs,

Laura

manmoor
09-09-07, 16:36
Hi Steve,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

margaret911
09-09-07, 20:07
Hi Steve

Welcome to nmp, hope this site helps you as much as it helps me. Take care.

love Mags xxx

Nibbles
10-09-07, 21:59
Hi Steve and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I'm sure nobody noticed you having your first panic attack as we think people notice far more than they actually do.

Take care,

Mike :)

Panic1971
10-09-07, 22:03
Hi Steve

Lovely to meet you. You will find some great people on here who will give you support and advice if and when you need it.

Take care x

ladygrom
12-09-07, 10:01
welcome steve i have that to i feel as tho my doctor sick of me but since i have found this site i feel a bit better noing i am not alone you will to its got loads of info .people react in a diferent way and have different symtons i felt no one could possibly have wat i got which is anxiety you will get better i had it 13 years ago with the death of my sister she was 31 and then 12 months after my mum died i did get better once and i will again and you will aswel .it takes time tc elaine

groovygranny
12-09-07, 21:02
Hello Steve:welcome:to you!

Uugh, heights and tall buildings - one of my 'triggers' too.

But, you're in the right place for help and support - I've received loads here and it aint half made a difference to my life!

Pleased to meet you!

:)