PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid about cdiff after antibiotics

maz063
04-04-19, 15:31
Hi everyone. I’ve been having a terrible time lately. I was on keflex for a UTI. I was meant to take it 4 times a day for a week but I just couldn’t fit 4 in my day from being busy so I took it 3 times a day every 8 hours for 10 days( this is the antibiotic schedule I’m most used to so my decision wasn’t totally arbitrary)

Anyways I have having some loose stool on it. Totally normal. But then days after taking it ( yesterday) I had to go to the bathroom so much and I had loose stool like 4 times. Wasn’t watery btw. Just loose. I was also having some lower abdominal pain related to gas. So since this happened after the antibiotics I started panicking about cdiff and I couldn’t sleep last night. I was sweating and shaking from anxiety. I’m so scared of having cdiff all over treating a UTI. The night before the day of constant BM, I ate Chinese fast food that had these dark colored dry peppers in it. I love spicy food so I ate the peppers. I also increased my dose of Viibryd not too long ago.

I’m trying not to spiral and think I’m screwed for life because of antibiotics. You think maybe it’s all the other factors combined? The Chinese food and my antidepressant? And I guess also needing to rebuild my gut flora.

Lana
04-04-19, 18:22
There is a Forum that deals exclusively with C. Diff, it is called C Diff Discuss. I was on it because I got C Diff more than three years ago , after combination of 2 extremely strong, broad spectrum antibiotics, (Clindamycin and Amoxicillin). The worst thing, I was at the time misdiagnosed, and I did not even need those horrible antibiotics, but that is a different story. (http://cdiffdiscuss.org/PHPBB3/index.php)

C Diff can appear , some say, even 2 months after antibiotics, but on average within 10 days to 2 weeks. The mentioned Forum has a list of the worst offenders for C Diff, as well as the safest antibiotics when it comes to c diff. It is absolutely amazing source of all things C Diff, well moderated and it truly helped me, and many others, get over that horrible intestinal bacterium.

My advice to you is to give it a little time, but if that the D does not calm down, or gets worse, God forbid, go to the doctors, and request the test for C Diff. Most diarrheas are from antibiotics only, not necessarily C Diff. C Diff is not that easy to get, the antibiotics really need to nuke your gut. On the other hand, it is no longer true today that you get it if you are immuno-compromised, old or in the hospital - I was none of it at the time, totally healthy adult and not in the hospital. It all depends on the antibiotic, for how long you are on them , how broad they are, and also the C Diff strains mutate, and new ones emerged.

Good luck, Lana

ErinKC
05-04-19, 03:34
The best think you can do to prevent it is to start taking a probiotic if you haven't already. My doctor recommended Align, but I've read the Floristor is particularly good during antibiotics because it survives the antibiotics.

I had to take 7 days of cefdinir a few months ago, which is one of the worst offenders for c. diff. I was ok while taking it, but then a week after finishing I had debilitating diarrhea - I was bed ridden for 48 hours, hitting the bathroom at least 15 times each day. It was horrific and unlike anything I'd ever experienced. I was so worried it was c. diff. But, from what I understand based on reading and talking with my doctor, they won't even test for c. diff unless the stool is completely liquid. That's the tell tale sign, and it has a very distinct and horrible smell. I kept on my probiotics and it cleared up in another day. My stomach was not the same for several weeks, but I kept on the probiotic for 4 months or so and it got my back on track.

Chances are it's just run of the mill antibiotic associated diarrhea, but it's always good to be on the lookout if it takes a turn for the worse. Definitely start the probiotic, though!

maz063
11-04-19, 14:37
Well it’s been going on on and off and this morning it was liquid and my stomach and lower abdominal shave been hurting. I guess a stool sample wouldn’t hurt? I’m just so tired of all of this. On top of all that the side effects from my new meds are terrible and not helping my OCD at all.

ErinKC
11-04-19, 19:28
Well it’s been going on on and off and this morning it was liquid and my stomach and lower abdominal shave been hurting. I guess a stool sample wouldn’t hurt? I’m just so tired of all of this. On top of all that the side effects from my new meds are terrible and not helping my OCD at all.

Have you called your doctor? Just give them a call to see what they think. I know several people who have had c. diff and said the lab won't even test the stool sample unless it's 100% liquid. Have you been taking a probiotic? It can take weeks to months for your stomach to get back to normal after antibiotics. Chances are it's not c. diff. But, your doctor will know if it makes sense to test or not.

maz063
15-04-19, 13:58
So the doctor ran out of sample cups so she gave me a requisition to go to the lab but I haven’t done it because I’ve actually haven’t been able to poop that easily! And when I do it’s the fluffy jagged edges stool that kinda disintegrates. No more liquid. It’s also kinda yellow which happens with stress or malabsorption. I think increasing my dose of Viibryd also made my gut worse. I am weaning off of it and going back on lexapro. I’ll hold on to form for the sample just in case, but I think I’m ok-ish?

Snowgirl82
20-04-19, 22:55
When I had c diff from heavy duty Antibiotics I got it 4 months later and I was super sick. You will KNOW. I am talking watery diarrhea 20+times in a night until I was passing blood and dehydrated. I responded to one round of treatment and have been fine since.