PDA

View Full Version : Persistent low grade fever, can anyone relate?

dalmatian1990
04-04-19, 16:31
Hello everyone,

For the past week or so I've been having persistent very low grade fevers in the afternoon and evening. The thermometer usually reads 37° C (measured under arm), sometimes 37.1 or 37.2 which is a maximum, except in the morning when it always reads 36.6-36.7 which I guess is normal. I know that many do not consider anything lower than 37.2 to be a fever, but those borderline temperatures don't feel right for me. Strangely enough, after midnight temperature starts to drop so I always feel very good at bedtime. What's even more strange temperature does not respond to medications (paracetamol) as it seems it doesn't lower the temperature not even slightly. Whenever I had fevers paracetamol has always worked well for me (it would lower up to a half a degree) until now. Recently I've been through a very difficult period of health anxiety and panic attacks so I wonder could it be related? Can anxiety and stress cause such very low grade fevers? Or can it be caused by some kind of allergy because my throat periodically feels itchy?

Thank you,
Damir

Fishmanpa
04-04-19, 16:41
That's not considered a fever.

Positive thoughts

dalmatian1990
04-04-19, 16:45
That's not considered a fever.

Positive thoughts

So what is considered a fever? Anything above 37.2° C?

Fishmanpa
04-04-19, 16:50
So what is considered a fever? Anything above 37.2° C?

Anything above 38C/100.4F. I suggest you refrain from the self-checking behavior as you're just feeding the dragon.

Positive thoughts

dalmatian1990
04-04-19, 17:07
Anything above 38C/100.4F. I suggest you refrain from the self-checking behavior as you're just feeding the dragon.

Positive thoughts

Measured orally or axillary (armpit)?

ankietyjoe
04-04-19, 18:56
37 is completely normal. 38 is a fever, technically.

You are worrying about literally nothing, and by the sound of it you're checking your temperature obsessively. For no reason.

NervUs
04-04-19, 20:07
Temperature fluctuates and is often higher later in the day.

Scass
04-04-19, 20:49
For children anything over 37.5 is considered a fever, and for adults it’s over 38.
However I was recently told I had a low grade fever at 37.6.

Either way, your temperature sounds spot on. So you can scratch that off of your list of things you’re worrying about.