PDA

View Full Version : For anyone concerned about pain in the rib area

Beckybecks
05-04-19, 18:40
I posted a few times recently about pain just below and in my rib area. I thought it was due to IBS and although I've been examined by three doctors, nobody told me this, I've just discovered it on the internet and thought I'd share with anyone else who has a similar symptom

Rib cage tightness anxiety symptoms.

Rib cage tightness, tension, aches, pains:

This symptom is often described as follows:

It feels like there is a tightness, tension, aches, and/or pains in the ribs or rib cage area.
It can also feel like there is a tight band around the ribs or rib cage area
It can also feel like there is a pressure in the ribs and rib cage.
It can also feel like there is a burning sensation in the ribs and rib cage area.
It can also feel like there is a knot or 'stitch' in the ribs and rib cage area.
It can also feel like your ribs or rib cage area is bruised and sore.
This rib cage tightness symptom can persistently affect one area of the ribs or rib cage only, can shift and affect another area or areas of the ribs or rib cage, and can migrate all over and affect many areas of the ribs and rib cage over and over again.

This rib cage tightness symptom can come and go rarely, occur frequently, or persist indefinitely. For example, you may feel a tightness in the ribs and rib cage once in a while and not that often, feel it off and on, or feel it all the time.

This rib cage tightness symptom may precede, accompany, or follow an escalation of other anxiety sensations and symptoms, or occur by itself.

This rib cage tightness symptom can precede, accompany, or follow an episode of nervousness, anxiety, fear, and elevated stress, or occur ‘out of the blue’ and for no apparent reason.

This rib cage tightness symptom can range in intensity from slight, to moderate, to severe. It can also come in waves, where it’s strong one moment and eases off the next.

This rib cage tightness symptom can change from day to day, and/or from moment to moment.

All of the above combinations and variations are common.

What causes the anxiety symptom rib cage tightness?
Anxiety causes the body to produce the stress response (also known as the fight or flight response). The stress response stresses the body. Stress causes the body's muscles to contract and tighten, including those in the ribs and rib cage area. When the body becomes overly stressed, which we call stress-response hyperstimulation, the body can exhibit a wide variety of muscle tension symptoms. This rib cage tightness symptom is an example.

Carys
09-05-19, 21:42
Hiyer Beckybecks,

Ahhha, another anxiety physical symptom - amazing what an array of feelings and experiences it can cause isn't it. Are you feeling much better now knowing all the above ?