PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Vietnam severely hampered by health anxiety.

Ronan23
07-04-19, 16:04
redacted......................

RadioGaGa
07-04-19, 17:10
OK forgive the lecturing tone this post will have, but I've been through similar myself.

Holiday Heart Syndrome - Alcohol Induced Atrial Fibrillation

"Yes" I have had this. I was 23 years old back in 2017 (about to turn 24) when I was drinking heavily each weekend. I downed about 3/4 of a "ten glass" of vodka, threw up and immediately went into AF. There was no mistaking it that my heart was doing something it shouldn't be. Off to the Emergency Department it was. DC Cardioverted at 15:00 after amiodarone and K+ failed to correct. Consultant "laughed" it off, saying it happens to more people than we realise, and shouldn't have a recurrence. Two and a half years later, with several heavy nights and vomiting under my belt, it hasn't recurred. But that's not to say it never will. Naturally, I'm at increased risk.

If you're scared of holiday heart, simply don't drink.

Secondly, I notice you've mentioned alcohol too many times in your post. I had a problem with drinking when I was 19/20. (I should practice what I preach)

Alcohol + Anxiety = NO. Alcohol is dangerous to people with anxiety or depression. "Yes" it provides calming, euphoric effects but believe me when I say this: alcohol WILL loose its "magic" eventually. If you know what I mean by "magic", you need to stop drinking now. If you don't know what I mean by this, keep reading. You'll eventually require larger doses of alcohol to get the same effect, until eventually you'll be a "sober to blackout drinker" - with no happy medium in between. There simply won't be the same euphoric, calming, happy feelings. And your anxiety will get worse the next day, and may eventually start lasting several days. Chasing the dragon never ends well.

I also note you mention taking benzos. Benzos have their place in anxiety and depression. But extra caution needs to be exercised when there's a drinking issue. Alcohol and benzos are a very dangerous mix, producing cross tolerance and addiction if not used correctly. When I hear someone drinks heavily, has anxiety/depression and takes benzos, alarm bells ring. This is never a good combination. The GABAergics are unforgiving and in serious cases, can cause death upon cessation.

Although I don't think, from what you've said, you're at any risk of withdrawals, you'll need to pay attention to your drinking habits. You can do this by cutting down (rarely, if ever works IMHO), harm reduction (some evidence it works) or completely stopping (in the ideal world, this is the "best" option).

Although cutting down and harm reduction are similar, there are differences. You can read into it if interested.

I'd bet if you had a long alcohol-free period (we're talking months here, not days or weeks) you'd see an improvement in your anxiety. You could also speak to your doctor about SSRIs/CBT etc.

Good luck

KK77
07-04-19, 19:22
redacted......................

Why did you "redact" whole post?

RadioGaGa
07-04-19, 21:04
KK77

I wondered the same

Gist of the post was
- is in Vietnam
- noted increased anxiety following binge drinking
- worried about holiday heart/AF
- mentioned drinking a few more times
- took benzos in response to alcohol induced anxiety

KK77
07-04-19, 21:16
KK77

I wondered the same

Gist of the post was
- is in Vietnam
- noted increased anxiety following binge drinking
- worried about holiday heart/AF
- mentioned drinking a few more times
- took benzos in response to alcohol induced anxiety

Thanks for post info - it will help others understand your incisive reply ;)

RadioGaGa
07-04-19, 23:07
Glad to have helped KK77

Alcoholism and abuse of anti-anxiety ("anxiolytic") drugs is a very real issue, and I post the information above in a sort of "public service" fashion, because the more people that are aware of the risks, hopefully dependence can be prevented by educating. Pregabalin and Gabapentin have, as of 7 days ago, been re-classified. This was long overdue IMHO.

There was consensus, similarly, that the NOACs (Novel Oral Anticoagulants e.g. Rivaroxaban) would replace warfarin completely but, alas, after >10 years in use, this is not the case. There was also similar consensus that Gabapentin and Lyrica would not be addictive/harmful, but how wrong they were.

I do feel very strongly about the issues of substance abuse among those with anxiety, having had a "drink problem" myself at just 19 years old due to anxiety. So I will always alert a poster if I see "key signs" or "phrases" that lead me to believe they're drinking at hazardous - or, worse, dependent - levels. I hope this never to come across as judgmental, as that's not my intention. But I also have familial experience with alcoholism, and its effects are never pretty.

Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with "popping" a benzo during an anxiety attack, or short term daily use to help people through a tough period (severe anxiety flare, bereavement etc). but if these substances are required for the person to function/feel good on a continual basis, there is a problem. If more tablets are required to get the same effect, this is also a red flag.

And the worst thing about tolerance, when it develops to GABAergics is, it is largely permanent (arguably the case for most, but particularly GABA). It's a bit like learning to ride a bike - once you've learnt how to, even if you stop for an extended period of time, when you start again, yes you "may" forget initially, but before you know it, you'll be riding it like a pro. (Excuse the "innuendo" in that sentence, it wasn't intended :roflmao:)

#RantOver #PublicServiceOnNMP