PDA

View Full Version : When to decide to go to the doctors?

Ben1989
08-04-19, 10:36
This is a personal question for me and also a generic.

Two actions I've stuck by relatively well as I try and recover and that's:

1) Don't google.
2) Don't go to the doctors.

I used to be at the doctors, or some form of medical appointment, every two-three weeks. I haven't been for I think over a year now and that was for a genuine reason (achy testicle).

But, it's tricky to know when to go. Is it my anxiety making me go or a genuine reason? It's hard to be clear which reason is which.

I've been 'cracking' my right wrist for years and now it is quite painful. It throbs every 2 minutes and I'm concerned about arthritus. Do I go to the doctors or is it my anxiety? It is genuinely painful though so I think I should. I've had no strenuous activity or trauma to cause it

BlueIris
08-04-19, 10:41
If it's hurting, I don't think there's any reason not to. Think of it as going to sort the pain out rather than trying to find out if there's anything nasty causing it?

mrmartyd
08-04-19, 11:14
You should definitely get it looked at if it's hurting. You could leave it and have it still hurting in a years time so you may as well get it checked out.

Ben1989
08-04-19, 11:16
Yeah I'll give them a call tomorrow morning to get a 48 hour appointment. It's not too urgent I would imagine.

Rewind a year ago where I would insist I have it looked at that day!

Fishmanpa
08-04-19, 13:01
Wow Ben! What a difference a year makes. The difference in you is evident. Good job on taming the dragon! :yesyes: What did you do? I'm sure others would benefit from your journey.

Positive thoughts

KK77
08-04-19, 13:18
Wow Ben! What a difference a year makes. Good job on taming the dragon! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

Wow Ben! What a difference a year makes. The difference in you is evident. Good job on taming the dragon! :yesyes: What did you do? I'm sure others would benefit from your journey.

Positive thoughts

We heard you first time, Fish :sign20:

Well done, Ben, and good luck with doc ;)

nicol1333
13-04-19, 16:17
BEN TEACH US YOUR WAYS!!! In one of my self help books it said to assess your symptoms after two weeks- if it still bothers you it’s ok to go. I know I can struggle with things for weeks even months though. I’m not sure of the right answer.

lofwyr
14-04-19, 03:07
Symptoms are real. Period. That doesn't mean they aren't anxiety.

The thing is, seeing the doctor for symptoms that are anxiety can be helpful too. Some symptoms can be relieved. Sometimes the doctor can help guide you on a path towards feeling better or steer you towards a path to overcome the anxiety.

Say you have a bad episode of anxiety and it causes the muscles in your back to spasm. A visit to the doctor, even though you might know it is anxiety, can be helpful in treating the symptom and generally improve life a bit.

Going to the doctor isn't bad if you have a reason to go that a doctor can address. Going because you have a vague notion something might be possibly wrong, however, probably wastes your time and the doctor's as well.

Ben1989
25-04-19, 16:29
Turned out I had torticollis (wry neck). It got incredibly painful to even swollow let alone move my neck.

I ended up seeing a chiropractor and she thinks it's possible I have nerve issues. Pain has gone now anyway so she may have worked wonders!

xfilme
10-05-19, 21:20
Well done. I used to go to the docs about three times a week. I haven't been to the doc now in four years. The 'do i/don't i' dilemma is a common issue with HA recovery. I did a YouTube video on the subject just last night. I think as we recover we all develop our own systems for dealing with doctors. It's important to remember though, that just because we suffer from health anxiety, that doesn't make us immune from illness and health problems. If there is physical pain involved, see the doc. You know deep down if it's just your HA. Ha is usually a lot more subtle that a definite pain. You've been without a doc for a year now. Don't take it to an extreme and aim to avoid the doc. The idea is to go when you genuinely feel the pain or discomfort is valid and rational. You seem good at differentiating between valid concern and health Anxiety... Just keep going as you are. You're doing great x