PDA

View Full Version : I went on holiday...

samc100
09-09-07, 17:44
Last year we cancelled our holiday because I could not handle it.

This year I booked a holiday in the Lakes. 3 hrs from where we live. Not brave enough to do a plane trip.

The week before my hols I went to see my councellor/osteopath/NLP bloke ( I know - overload!). I was really concerned I would not handle the journey and have a miserable week feeling ill and ruin it for my partner and little boy.

The day before we went on hols I cried and had a row with my partner and had a dodgy bottom The morning of the hols I got into the car ok but had a panic attack when we hit a traffic jam. But I tried to immerse myself day-dreaming to stop focuing on my attacks.

Was ok on hols. Managed to eat out. No emergency runs for the loo ! Hurrah! Got myself in a stew on the Tues cos I had tummy ache - but I was eating more carbs than I am used to and that was probably the cause.

We did manage several long trips but mainly stuck to playing on the boat cos' my little boy decided boats are brilliant.

Coming home I felt ropey but we didn't stop.

I am annoyed with myself for nit-picking at the problems. Why do I do that when I knew it wasn't going to be a breeze? When in fact I should give myself a little pat on the back for doing it and also loving being there. It was brilliant. And I nearly cried on the last night as I didn't want to come home. My 2 yr old boy thought it was the bestest week ever - so I might have to go away on hols again.

Does it get easier the more you do it?

Granny Primark
09-09-07, 17:55
Well done samc!!!!!:yesyes:
You really did well. You should definitely give yourself a pat on the back.
I havent managed a hol now in 3 years, but after reading your post its given me hope.

Take care
LYNN xx

samc100
09-09-07, 18:28
Well you can have a big hug Granny Primark cos' although I just had a year without going away - I honestly thought I would never go away again ( ready to sell the suitcases).

If I can do it - then you certainly can ... cos' I am big wimp!

Southern_Belle
10-09-07, 15:48
Hi Sam,

You coped wonderfully. Your family and especially your little boy had the best time so apparently he didn't realize when you were under stress. Yes, the more you do it the easier it gets. That is how I have found it anyways.

Hugs,

Laura

darkangel
10-09-07, 16:08
Hi Sam

Forget the little pat on the back, you deserve a HUGE well done for that. Sometimes when we challenge ourselves and go into situations that we know will be difficult, then once its over, we tend to analyse and focus on what we could have doen better - this is normal and part of the illness. Its sometimes very hard for us to rationalise and think about what we actually did achieve. Okay there were some blips along the way, but you worked through it and did it. :yesyes:

Just wanted to tell u a little bit about me, I was completely housebound with agoraphobia for several years and the thought of holidaying was something I never dreamed possible. But in time, and after a lot of CBT work and gradual exposure to my fears I have been abroad this year. I remember the many times we would travel to a hotel for the weekend only to find us having to come back home, me in tears and having let everyone down - yet again. But with continued effort my dream did come true and we spend 2 glorious weeks in Bulgaria. There wasnt a day that I didnt have anxietym, or end up in tears or feel frustrated or overwhelmed at what I was doing, but there were plenty wonderful moments that outweighed the negative ones - these are the ones that stay in my heart.

Well done once again, you are a star .

Luv Darkangel :flowers:

yorkylover
10-09-07, 17:00
Well Done Sam,you have done great:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

You should be really pleased with yourself,and your little boy had a brilliant time to.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

samc100
10-09-07, 19:16
Thank you guys...

Cheers Ellen - I know that you know it's a toughie this holiday lark but we both made it away!!!

Southern Belle - I am glad you say it gets easier.... I think I thought about my stomach nearly all hols!

Dark Angel - wow, you have been abroad!!! Ta for sharing what you went through. That gives me lots of positives. And you are right - I am over analysing.

sandlin
10-09-07, 22:26
You are such an inspiration and i worry cause i cant drive down certain roads.

Linda xx