PDA

View Full Version : Collecting other people's symptoms

Beckybecks
09-04-19, 13:10
I have avery bad habit of “collecting” other people’s symptoms and storing them on myhard drive (my mind). Then as soon as Idetect the slightest hint of a pain anywhere in my body, my mind automatically calls up anyone I’veknown in the past who had a similar symptom.
It’s anamazing ability and I only wish I could put it to better use! Amazing also,because normally I have a really bad memory.
My mind cango back 20 years to someone I vaguely knew who died of something awful, and I’llremember “Oh yes, he had a horrid dose of flu and then some time later Iremember he was diagnosed with xxxxxxx” (some horrid terminal illness) And of course, I must have the same!
I reallyneed to clear my hard drive.
Anyone elsedo this?

nomorepanic
09-04-19, 13:31
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Nicole0134
09-04-19, 15:32
I'm not sure about the collecting of symptoms - but do think I'm guilty of "acquiring" them after hearing about them from others....

Fishmanpa
09-04-19, 15:42
That's one of the negatives about reading other people's symptoms when you're a sufferer. It also explains the pattern of similar threads on the boards at any given time.

Positive thoughts

RadioGaGa
09-04-19, 16:58
''Yes'' I was guilty of this (I suppose I still am)

When I was in the dispensary (the hospital I work at is the regional Cancer treatment centre) I would read the discharge letters (its part of my job, but admittedly, I had more interest than most)

When you're admitted, and subsequently discharged from hospital, the consultant in charge of your care usually deligates this task to a junior doctor, who writes the ''discharge letter''. This includes a section which details why you were admitted, what your symptoms were, and plans for follow up. Attached is a prescription which details all medication you're on, along with meds to be supplied from the hospital pharmacy.

If the.''principle diagnosis'' or ''co-morbities'' stated Glioblastoma WHO Grade IV, my number 1 fear, I read it in great detail. And then imagined I had similar symptoms at a later date.

Unfortunately, saying ''don't read it'' was not an option, as there's a professional responsibility to screen for conditions which may be a Contraindicwtion to a prescribed drug.

To be blunt, I had to cope, and just get on with it. Although it did lead to many horrible anxious periods.

Since undergoing CBT I've found my anxiety has lessened a great deal

RadioGaGa
09-04-19, 16:59
Typing from mobile hence horrible grammar and spelling mistakes

Beckybecks
09-04-19, 17:08
Radiogaga, I could never do your job. I find it a challenge just to visit a patient in hospital!