PDA

View Full Version : Mercury fillings..

Archaga
09-04-19, 20:02
Ive been a bit anxious lately reading up on dental silver amalgam fillings being linked to all sorts of stuff. I dont remember ever getting any, but it looks like I have one. Just one.

Can anyone tell me if this is a silver filling? I thought at first maybe its decay, but it looks like a filling. Not looking for medical advice, just wanting to know what this is on my tooth

nomorepanic
09-04-19, 20:06
It's a filling

Fishmanpa
09-04-19, 20:15
I was around when they used radioactive plutonium fillings in the 60's and I'm still here... J/K ;)

Agree with Nic... Thanks for the mouth pics BTW :)

Positive thoughts

Darksky
09-04-19, 21:20
I have quite a few amalgam fillings. I've had no problems. As and when they need replacing I'm getting them done in white, just for cosmetic purposes though.

Archaga
09-04-19, 23:16
being that its just one, do you think just pulling the tooth like they did in the old days, is a good idea?

Fishmanpa
09-04-19, 23:24
being that its just one, do you think just pulling the tooth like they did in the old days, is a good idea?

No.

Positive thoughts

Carys
10-04-19, 10:00

No, and why ?

Darksky
10-04-19, 18:17
Why would you want to get the tooth pulled? It's a tiny little filling. If it's really bothering you, when you go again, get them to change it to a white one but don't get a perfectly good tooth pulled.

nomorepanic
10-04-19, 18:22
We had someone on here that paid thousands to have all his metal fillings removed and replaced thinking it would stop his anxiety and it did nothing at all

Why would you pull a tooth out - no good dentist would even entertain the idea.

Scass
10-04-19, 18:37
We had someone on here that paid thousands to have all his metal fillings removed and replaced thinking it would stop his anxiety and it did nothing at all

Why would you pull a tooth out - no good dentist would even entertain the idea.

Really? If I ever get that bad please remind me of that!

I have one of those fillings I think. Dentists wouldn’t put them in your mouth if they were harmful. Unless they were from little shop of horrors, which they aren’t. You’ll be ok OP, keep your nice teeth where they should be.

nomorepanic
10-04-19, 18:53
Here are the posts scass:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?5917-Update-on-Mercury-fillings-If-anyones-interested

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?7145-Huge-panic-Numb-Face-No-sleep

Scass
10-04-19, 19:01
A holistic dentist... now I’ve heard it all.
The lengths some of us will go to is tragically sad really. I hope that she has found a better approach and is better.

nomorepanic
10-04-19, 19:36
He went on to post a lot more after that but not sure what happened since. It was 14 years ago though but I remembered it lol

Carys
10-04-19, 20:14
For crying out loud ! :roflmao:

KK77
10-04-19, 21:22
Some countries have stopped using silver amalgam fillings. There are contradictory study findings.

I paid to have all new fillings in composite, mainly for cosmetic reasons :lac:

Phuzella
10-04-19, 23:16
How do you forget having a filling lol

Carys
11-04-19, 07:14
See....I don't get that too.....I mean if you just have one, in an adult tooth then you'd surely remember getting it !

ErinKC
11-04-19, 19:32
See....I don't get that too.....I mean if you just have one, in an adult tooth then you'd surely remember getting it !

I disagree! I just had to go look in my mouth to see if I have any silver fillings. I've had so much dental work done, so many cavities filled and some silver fillings replaced with the newer kind over time, one tooth that had to be extracted, one with a crown that probably once had a silver one, but I don't remember. So, at this point, it would be impossible to remember off the top of my head which teeth have fillings and which are silver vs. white without checking. I only have one silver one left, but I know I've had more in my life.

And, my silver one is on a wisdom tooth that I didn't get until later in life - but I have no recollection of getting that tooth filled!

Carys
11-04-19, 22:09
Yeah, but you've had lots of fillings and loads of dental work, it is hard to recall what has been done where - but if you've only in your whole life had one filling done, surely that one would be remembered?

Fishmanpa
11-04-19, 22:34
Yeah, but you've had lots of fillings and loads of dental work, it is hard to recall what has been done where - but if you've only in your whole life had one filling done, surely that one would be remembered?

Exactly and frankly, this is a total non-issue anyway :lac:

Positive thoughts