PDA

View Full Version : Mountain to Climb

captainchaos1970
09-09-07, 20:11
Hi,

I wonder if anyone else identifies with this. In my introduction thread: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22730

I said I've had problems with anxiety, depression and making friends all my life. My therapist thinks it would help me if I had more of a life outside work (which I hate) and home. Trouble is I've always found meeting people very stressful. In the past I've forced myself to meet people, join societies or start an evening class. None of these have resulted in me becoming more comfortable with people.

At the moment I feel very depressed and very anxious. I need a way of meeting people where I don't have to pretend to be "normal" and I can leave when I want.

I think just joining a society is too high a step for me at the moment. I need climb the mountain in stages not all in one go.

Any thoughts anyone?

soozpkwik
09-09-07, 20:44
Hi there
I can identify totally with your problems - I think I may have been born anxious. It became crippling almost 20 years ago, and I have tried everything hypnosis, various NHS routes even holistic treatments. None worked.
However, though I still struggle at times, about four years ago I started line dancing. I know many people laugh about this but hey it's done wonders.
What is great about it is you can go alone, and because you're being taught or dancing for the majority of the time you don't have to talk to people unless you choose to. You pay for it so you leave when you want. Biggest plus is you don't have to be that good at it.
My first time was horrendous, but I've stuck it out and now I am even going out and about to socials and mixing with many different people every weekend. Four years ago I struggled to get over the doorstep.
I have also made two extremely good friends, but have a wide circle of people that I am friendly with. I also have to say that in general this crowd are the friendliest and cheeriest bunch I've ever met.
It has been the best thing ever for me, also a pretty good way to excercise my mind and body.
Line dancing may not be for you, but perhaps something along those lines could be helpful. It's not so much a mountain but a bill of a steep hill.
Good luck finding something that helps x