PDA

View Full Version : CBT for health anxiety

anxious
09-09-07, 21:49
Hi there,

i'm due to start CBT next week for my ha ( only been waiting 15months lol). Anyone has any positive experience? I've has two similar treatments many moons ago(obviously unsuccessful or i wouldnt be here:blush: ), but it's supposed to be different these days??
I can understand how it works for OCD, but if i think ive got a lump/bump/ache/spot/mole how does ignoring the urge to check etc etc make the anxiety go away?
For example - me thinks "does this mole look different....should i get it checked out....i'm sure it didnt look like that before....is it itching etc....check...check...check....."
CBT says....."you know its fine.....go do something to take your mind off it....read a book....take a bath(more mole checking:blush: )
I need to know when i need to get something checked out. i seem to have lost that rational thinking somewhere along the line.
Sorry for the ramble but getting very stressed here because hubby thinks its going to cure me and i'm as ever being very pessimistic(sp?) BUT i've been there, worn the t shirt etc............ i see divorce looming:ohmy:

anx xx

SammiB
10-09-07, 12:42
Hi An,

I have got Health Anxiety, probably spiralling out of control now, i haven't had any help except for a beta blocker and this site.

I have been looking up on CBT and i was also wondering the same things as, you. just to let you know that your not alone and i really hope that it works for you.

Let me know how you get on as i would like to start this aswell.

sammi
xx

trac67
10-09-07, 13:09
Hiya

I had CBT for my health anxiety a few years ago and it really helped with it and i no longer think the worst :yesyes:

Basically they help you to change your way of thinking.

As long as you go with a positive attitude it should help you

Let us know how it goes and good luck

Love

Trac xxx

anxious
13-09-07, 08:40
Hiya,

thanks for replying.
Sammi - i take beta blockers as well. I actually find kalms work better for me.
Trac - really pleased it worked for you, its good to hear.
I've also just recieved a letter about hypnotherapy which i can start when my CBT finishes.
Will keep you posted,

anx xx

manmoor
14-09-07, 08:12
Good luck for Monday hun let us know how it goes. xxx

manmoor
18-09-07, 08:24
How did it go yesterday hun? xxx

nomorepanic
18-09-07, 19:31
Mandy

Here you go ....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23080

kittykat
05-10-07, 10:53
Hi there,

Just read your post. I had CBT for my health anxiety, but unfortunately find it didn't work tht good for me, im on meds now which seem to take the edge off it. I did go in with a positive attitude but for some reason , i dont know, maybe im incurable..........but on the bright side lots of people have benefited from it and a lot of people swear it works. So good luck with your course and let us know how its going ( and im sure you will be one of the people it helps)

shirley xx

MistyBlue
05-10-07, 11:22
Hey there,

CBT can work, but as with everything, everybody will react to it differently.

If I find a mole, spot, lump etc I remember that it's the initial shock of it that causes the most anxiety. As you check and recheck, it fuels that shock of anxiety. If you distract yourself from checking the anxiety lessens. So in essence, you are fuelling the anxiety by checking.

Staying away can be difficult. Checking, for health anxiety people, is like a drug, and we hope for the fix of calmness that might come with checking and finding that the lump, mole etc is ok or gone. It takes work but by using distracting techniques it can work.

CBT is not a wonder cure, it takes a lot of hard work, and may never totally clear the problem, but it can make it easier to manage and to cope with the anxiety.

I wish you well, it will take a lot of hard work, and with persistence it can pay off. With all kinds of therapy, most of the work is done on our own, not in the sessions.

Good luck. :)

Lisa x

anxious
05-10-07, 12:36
Hi Misty,

your comment
If I find a mole, spot, lump etc I remember that it's the initial shock of it that causes the most anxiety

is really useful, thank you. I've just proved that this morning as i was doing my hair i felt a mole - panic, but if i do manage to calm down etc and leave it for a while, its not nearly as bad when i go back. BUT its incredibly hard to do.
thanks, anx xx

Dave M
08-10-07, 12:35
I suffer with health anxiety, OCD and panic disorder, obsiously depression too. I'm also a psychology student. The constant checking of the mole, spot, pulse, body temperature in the presence of extreme anxiety works as an operant reinforcer (Google operant reinforcer and you will find a power point that will explain what operant reinforcement is). Basically, when you check repeatedly, it performs the opposite action from what one would like it to do and, in the long term, makes one more anxious. So you get anxious and then you check. During the formative stages of your health anxiety, when you first became concerned about your health and began to check when you were anxious, the anxiety and the checking get paired together and the checking reinforces the anxiety, making it more likely to occur at a later date.

Meewah
07-11-07, 23:32
HiYa

Been to CBT for shakey hands as per last post. Since then my anxiety has manifested itself in health checking for lumps and bumps does not seem to be my way. I am so scared of finding something wrong that I rush all my personal hygene. Sometimes though I check for pains and question why I have that pain and can I link it to another pain and then self diagnose as something terminal. Now I read a lot, to distract myself in times of peace and quiet. I can not have a bath as I have too much time to listen to my heart or check my body. I shower in the dark and get dressed quickly. I also scare myself silly with my wifes symptoms past or present. I can panic over her health symptoms as much as my own. I seem to be just waiting for something dire to happen.

I try to act out in my mind what it would be like if either of us had cancer or a disabling illness. This could be due to my parents gradual deteriation. I feel like the future is all doom and gloom and I want to dig my head in the sand. Sometimes I wish I did not care about anyone so I would not get the anxiety symptoms as I am afraid I wont be able to cope if something happens.

Is this Health anxiety?

Mee

anxious
08-11-07, 18:07
Hi Mee,

yes sounds pretty much like health anxiety to me. Have a look on the ha forum and welcome :) ,

anx x

GILL8
08-11-07, 22:53
Hi Mee

I've suffered from the same 'checking' for many years but in times of
extreme stress and more important life changes (i.e. in your case
your parent's deterioration) that will definitely make your phobia much
worse. As in your case, when my parents gradually deteriorated and instead of them looking after me, it was my turn to look after them, the responsbility
changed and it was so depressing to see them go down and also tiring
mentally to see it. Your whole life seems to go down into a depressing
cycle. I am in this situation at the moment and I sympathise with you
so much as I am suffering the same extreme anxiety and phobia.
Do try and distract yourself with good things although I know this isn't
always possible. If the 'checking' is so extreme a course of CBT will
definitely help although I have to say it does require a lot of willpower
from you in the end.

It will ease but don't let it get too much before you try to get help!

Good Luck

Gill