PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos broken up down garden, anxiety though the roof :(

snowflake293
13-04-19, 15:33
I had been doing so well but a few weeks ago we had our back garden cleared and when I went down after I found some broken up asbestos tiles/sheets. Freaking out. We haved lived here since June last year. Have put an online request for local council to collect it but on the website it says to damp it down and double bag it whilst wearing gloves. I am scared to go near it. So worried it is releasing dust just particles and we have been exposed to it. Really freaking out and feel sick. There are smaller pieces in the soil too and I am frightened the fibres are all in the soil. Im worried sick. Help.

nomorepanic
13-04-19, 15:41
How do you know it is asbestos?

You would have to be exposed to it over a long period of time for it to do any real harm I would think.

snowflake293
13-04-19, 15:44
It's definitely asbestos. Its green tiles with a honeycomb pattern on. I feel sick and I don't want to touch it. I am terrified it will have got in my lungs. I am so scared.

ankietyjoe
13-04-19, 15:48
Unless you knelt over them, covered your head in a sack and whacked them with a hammer whilst breathing in the fumes for a couple of months........ there is zero risk here. Zero.

That's IF it's asbestos. Which you're just assuming.

KK77
13-04-19, 16:19
I am scared to go near it. So worried it is releasing dust just particles and we have been exposed to it. Really freaking out and feel sick. There are smaller pieces in the soil too and I am frightened the fibres are all in the soil. Im worried sick. Help.

Think logically, Snowflake: how can it be releasing dust particles without being touched or disturbed?

Fishmanpa
13-04-19, 16:21
Its interesting how one thing can trigger anxiety when there are hundreds of other things in this world that can take us out. Yet one focuses on the most unlikely scenario. I read this as I do many, many other threads and just don't see an issue :shrug:

Even if it is some asbestos tiles, common sense would eliminate any risk. The reality is one would have to be exposed in great amounts for long periods of time to be at risk and even then, it could be years before anything even showed up if it did at all.

Put a dust mask on, wet it down as instructed, wear gloves and double bag it. Done! :)

Positive thoughts

Beachlady
15-04-19, 04:06
Its interesting how one thing can trigger anxiety when there are hundreds of other things in this world that can take us out. Yet one focuses on the most unlikely scenario. I read this as I do many, many other threads and just don't see an issue :shrug:

Even if it is some asbestos tiles, common sense would eliminate any risk. The reality is one would have to be exposed in great amounts for long periods of time to be at risk and even then, it could be years before anything even showed up if it did at all.

Put a dust mask on, wet it down as instructed, wear gloves and double bag it. Done! :)

Positive thoughts

What fishmanpa said. :winks: