PDA

View Full Version : Weird Heartburn/Hunger Issue

THoltz
15-04-19, 15:45
So last night I had some sphaghetti that had some spicy sauce it. It was very good but I noticed I had some heartburn afterwards. When I went to bed, I felt hungry. Not overwhelmingly hungry or anything but it was noticeable.

I had a similar issue almost exactly a year ago where I had some heartburn issues along with nausea, burping, bloating, and hunger pangs. All of the symptoms went away but the hunger pangs lingered on. They were horrible. I remember one night I woke up at like 3AM and had to eat something. I was diagnosed with gastritis and given some OTC prilosec to take. It helped but didn't fully eliminate. I then thought it was an ulcer because of the hunger pangs and everthing. I went back for a H. Pylori test which came back negative. Strangely enough over the course of the summer, the symptoms just disappeared and I felt fine.

I am concerned that this issue might be coming back again. I avoid spicy and fried foods except the occasional Indian meal. I like coffee too.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

Fishmanpa
15-04-19, 16:12
Just to clarify... aside from heartburn from eating spicy food which is normal for many people, your issue is feeling hungry several hours after eating?

Positive thoughts

THoltz
15-04-19, 16:38
Just to clarify... aside from heartburn from eating spicy food which is normal for many people, your issue is feeling hungry several hours after eating?

Positive thoughts

I guess so but it felt similar to my issue last year when I had gnawing hunger pangs and woke up in the middle of the night. It ended up going away on its own somehow.
I was just overly concerned perhaps.

Scass
15-04-19, 19:29
This was pretty much what I went through when I had gastritis too. Hopefully your symptoms will calm down soon. But if it does come back then at least you know how to cope with it.

THoltz
15-04-19, 19:46
This was pretty much what I went through when I had gastritis too. Hopefully your symptoms will calm down soon. But if it does come back then at least you know how to cope with it.

Yeah I went through the full spectrum of taking a OTC prilosec for month or so then went off of that to take a H. Pylori test which came back negative. Right now its just the hunger pangs and some burping. Doesn't seem as intense as the last bout with it last year.

THoltz
15-04-19, 23:38
So the hunger pangs have gone away but now I have really bad gas. I feel bloated too. Guess it is an off day for my stomach. In fact I am not really hungry at all.
I will update tomorrow.

THoltz
16-04-19, 02:17
So I have noticed the hunter pangs have come back a little but not bad. I still had to eat something to relieve them. This has me wondering if I have h pylori or something. It’s almost like Deja vu of what happened last year. I might phone my doctor in the next few days if it continues to see what I should do.

Does anyone have any advice or insight?

Fishmanpa
16-04-19, 02:24
Does anyone have any advice or insight?

Again... you ate some spicy food that gave you some heartburn... normal. You got some hunger pangs a few hours after eating. What is abnormal about that? It's your body saying "feed me!" :shrug: I understand you feel this is not normal but I just don't see this as anything but.

Go ahead... call your doctor if you really feel you need to. "Told Ya So Gang" will be on standby if you do.

Positive thoughts

THoltz
16-04-19, 15:50
So today I woke and felt fine. I was understandably hungry after not eating for 12 hours or so. I had some breakfast but the hunger returned after an hour or so. I also checked my weight and it was in the 166-167 range which is normal for me.
Maybe its just me overanalyzing this but I usually don't recall feeling this hungry so shortly after eating. I really don't want to go through what I did last year. Those hunger pangs were not pleasant.

BlueIris
16-04-19, 15:55
It sounds as though you need to take a look at your anxiety issues - they can make you hyper-aware, which really isn't good if you have a bit of a sensitive stomach already.

THoltz
16-04-19, 16:08
It sounds as though you need to take a look at your anxiety issues - they can make you hyper-aware, which really isn't good if you have a bit of a sensitive stomach already.

True. I had a bout of gastritis last year that was no doubt stress induced. I went to the doctor and did a breath test and it came negative. Eventually it just went away on its own. It wasn't in my head though. I did have physical symptoms.

Yeah stress has tended to aggravate my stomach over the years. I just fear having stomach ulcers and gastritis.

BlueIris
16-04-19, 16:27
Believe me, I know these things aren't imaginary. I suffer from diarrhoea a good fifty per cent of the time and it's hard to ignore the physical evidence ;)

Stupid question, but how are you sleeping right now?

THoltz
16-04-19, 17:36
Believe me, I know these things aren't imaginary. I suffer from diarrhoea a good fifty per cent of the time and it's hard to ignore the physical evidence ;)

Stupid question, but how are you sleeping right now?

My sleep is okay. I need to do better at getting my full 8 hours of sleep. When I lay down, my mind sometimes goes and goes.

Scass
16-04-19, 18:44
True. I had a bout of gastritis last year that was no doubt stress induced. I went to the doctor and did a breath test and it came negative. Eventually it just went away on its own. It wasn't in my head though. I did have physical symptoms.

Yeah stress has tended to aggravate my stomach over the years. I just fear having stomach ulcers and gastritis.

But I think that if your issues had worsened that you’d know? Are you eating a balanced diet that would keep hunger away? When I had gastritis I felt hungry even while I was eating.

THoltz
16-04-19, 20:26
But I think that if your issues had worsened that you’d know? Are you eating a balanced diet that would keep hunger away? When I had gastritis I felt hungry even while I was eating.

My gastritis symptoms disappeared last year. They were more anxiety related and I had no h.pyloris or signs of infections. I think it was stress related.
My diet is pretty good but not perfect. I am not a very good cook. That being said I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and nut like almonds and walnuts.

I felt the same during my gastritis bout last year. Always felt hungry unless I ate a lot of food. It was miserable. I had to eat something every hour it seemed to keep the hunger away. IT was terrible

This doesnt't feel as bad as last time but then again it may be just normal hunger as Fishmanpa suggested above.

I will keep monitoring it.

Scass
16-04-19, 20:28
Yes it could just be worry. I had a lot of other symptoms with mine, not just hunger.

THoltz
16-04-19, 20:33
Yes it could just be worry. I had a lot of other symptoms with mine, not just hunger.

What symptoms did you have? I remember last year I had heartburn, bloated, green stool, gas, nausea. I would get shaky when I got really hungry.

Scass
16-04-19, 20:40
What symptoms did you have? I remember last year I had heartburn, bloated, green stool, gas, nausea. I would get shaky when I got really hungry.

Yes pretty much all of them, pressure under my breastbone was the worst I think. Also, reflux.

Carys
16-04-19, 21:28
Ah, the 'hunger feeling', it can be a false feeling and you aren't actually hungry. The stomach can't accurately transmit sensations like the skin, and has basic ways of showing it is a bit upset, the 'false hunger' feeling is something I have had many many times. I can have it right after eating, it churns and feels like I'm starving, but I know I'm not and have an 'anxiety stomach/indigestion' thing going on. You can also get the 'false hunger' feeling from not drinking enough water, the gnawing feeling can come from true hunger or dehydration.

THoltz
17-04-19, 15:50
So today I woke up with no unusual symptoms or hunger pangs. The hunger pangs did return but that's because I just woke up and obviously I hadn't eaten anything for several hours. I had some oatmeal and that made the hunger pangs go away. Now its lunch time and I feel the hunger pangs again but they are tolerable. If I focus on something else, they aren't as bad.

I've been burping too so this could be some acid. I hope this isnt the start of another gastritis bout. So far no other symptoms.

What does everyone think?

Scass
17-04-19, 17:16
I think you’re worrying too much. Hunger pangs are normal when we’re hungry.

THoltz
17-04-19, 18:03
I think you’re worrying too much. Hunger pangs are normal when we’re hungry.

Maybe so. For some reason this week, I have become more aware of these issues than last week. I will seek to adjust my diet so as to avoid acid reflux in general. Also I will seek to not get myself so stressed about work.

THoltz
19-04-19, 15:28
So the hunger pangs are still there but not as severe. This morning I am having some bad acid reflux. I didn't have any coffee at all. Just oatmeal and a nutrition bar for breakfast. I have sort of sour taste in my mouth and I am burping some. I was considering taking some Prilosec OTC or some other OTC PPI but I don't know if I should consult my doctor first prior to do it,

Midnight-mouse
19-04-19, 15:36
So the hunger pangs are still there but not as severe. This morning I am having some bad acid reflux. I didn't have any coffee at all. Just oatmeal and a nutrition bar for breakfast. I have sort of sour taste in my mouth and I am burping some. I was considering taking some Prilosec OTC or some other OTC PPI but I don't know if I should consult my doctor first prior to do it,

You’re experiencing heartburn/reflux/indigestion, why wouldn’t you take something to ease it? The medications are available over the counter for a reason.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THoltz
19-04-19, 16:11
So I phoned my doctor and they said I should take something like Prilosec. The main reason I was concerned was because of possible conflict with my cholesterol medicine. I was told there was no conflict and that I could start taking them.

Fishmanpa
19-04-19, 17:37
So I phoned my doctor and they said I should take something like Prilosec. The main reason I was concerned was because of possible conflict with my cholesterol medicine. I was told there was no conflict and that I could start taking them.

Exactly. Be patient as it can take a week or two until they really kick in and watch your diet. Look into the FODMAP (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet and keep a journal of what you eat so you can weed out foods that aggravate your stomach.

Positive thoughts

THoltz
23-04-19, 13:12
So I am in Day 2 of taking my Prilosec. Even before I started taking it, my symptoms were improving. The hunger pangs are still there. They are worse in the morning along with some nausea I experience. Overally my symptoms seem less severe than last year when I had my gastritis. My weight is normal and no odd colored stool.

I hate how these medicines take so long.

THoltz
06-05-19, 14:57
So I have finished my two week course of Prilosec OTC. Good news is my hunger pangs and heartburn have gone away.However ,I have been experiencing morning nausea the last few days I was on the medicine. The nausea lasts until about midmorning and then I am fine the rest of the day. I read that nausea is a side effect of Prilosec and other omeprazole tablets. Does anyone else have problems with nausea and taking a PPI? Hopefully this problem is temporary and I can get on with life.

THoltz
09-05-19, 17:11
Hello Everyone,

So a few weeks ago I took a OTC PPI for two weeks after I had some heartburn. I noticed that it worked my heartburn/hunger pangs went away however I started becoming nauseous at the end of my two week course of PPI. After I stopped the medicine, I began having nausea in the morning and then in some in the afternoon. Seems like my nausea goes away until I eat something then it comes back. It has been somewhat better the past couple days. On Sunday i woke up in the middle of the night with severe nausea. Fortunately I didn't vomit but it was very uncomfortable.

The funny thing is I have no physical symptoms besides this. Weight is normal. Stool is normal. No heartburn really. No hunger pangs. No vomiting. I called my doctor and they recommended I wait a week or two and come in if I start to feel worse.

Maybe is this nausea anxiety or stress related. It's so weird.

Does anyone have any insight?

Fishmanpa
09-05-19, 17:22
Common anxiety symptom. (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Digestive_systemNausea)

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
09-05-19, 17:26
This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

THoltz
09-05-19, 17:55
Common anxiety symptom. (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Digestive_systemNausea)

Positive thoughts

Thank you for that resource. My doctor seemed a bit beduffled considering I only had nausea and no other symptoms. Now I will get a little hearburn If i eat something I am not supposed to like what I had for lunch but it is not bad.

It is weird how nausea works. Hopefully I will start feeling better.

Scass
10-05-19, 05:11
Glad you’re starting to feel better.
I’ve had gastritis and still get nausea if I eat something rich on an empty stomach.

THoltz
10-05-19, 19:33
Seems like I have a form of gastritis. I was only on two weeks of Prilosec OTC and it cured my heartburn and hunger pangs but now there is nausea. This afternoon my nausea came back. It seems to ebb and flow but it gets better if I am focuing on something else.

It's strange becuase I feel fine in every other way except this and I have no other symptoms. I guess it will take time to fully heal.

Scass
10-05-19, 19:40
Yes I expect so. Do you take any antacids?

THoltz
10-05-19, 19:49
I take a TUMS everyday but I am not taking any PPI or anything at the moment. I am managing the nausea by drinking ginger tea and eating bland foods although my stomach has improve enough to where I can have some coffee in the afternoon.

THoltz
11-05-19, 22:21
So today was better. I had some nausea that came and went. I had more gas today. My doctor told me to wait a few weeks and see if the nausea goes away. I’m getting better but I have heard it can take awhile for gastritis to fully heal.

Fishmanpa
11-05-19, 22:33

Gastritis, an irritated stomach, can take time to heal. I think you should listen to your doctor and be patient, work on your anxiety and being less hyper-focused as stress can prolong irritation.

Positive thoughts

THoltz
12-05-19, 22:40
Gastritis, an irritated stomach, can take time to heal. I think you should listen to your doctor and be patient, work on your anxiety and being less hyper-focused as stress can prolong irritation.

Positive thoughts

So today I had a very good day. I had a little nausea upon waking up. I had a bannana and bluberries for breakfast. I played golf this morning and afternoon so my mind was totally focused on that. I really had no nause whatsoever.

I had hamburgers and some other stuf for lunch. I feel really full. I usually am more hungry but I don't much of an appetite as much i thought I did. At least I don't have hunger pangs.