PDA

View Full Version : I dumpster dived...

Roosterruby
16-04-19, 07:17
Hi! I am about to tell you a very silly story, so I apologize in advance.
I have seen videos online about new in package makeup being thrown away in Ulta dumpsters, and I was also informed that scavenging this makeup is entirely legal. So, I decided to do the gross thing, and go check it out. Unfortunately I did not find any new makeup, though I did find loads of store testers (that I will not use). My concern is that at one point my glove slipped entirely off and I did not notice until makeup and trash goo was on my hand. Yes, I know, ew. I washed my hands about a thousand times afterwards. The worst part is that I had two relatively large papercuts on my hand. Now I am concerned that I came into contact with the saliva or poop of a rabid animal. To be honest, as a person with OCD, I'm just scared out of my pants.
This was a dumpster in a metropolitan area, and I am frightened there was a raccoon in there or something. I know this is a stupid concern, but help a girl out. Does this concern seem valid or a little silly to you guys? Obviously I'm not asking for professional advice, but in your opinions, do you think I should be worried?
Definitely not checking out the dumpsters again. :unsure:

BlueIris
16-04-19, 07:20
I wouldn't worry, but if you think the cuts were open or re-opened I'd try to keep them disinfected. You're smart, though, so you know that :)

Fishmanpa
16-04-19, 14:45

That sentence is all the reassurance you need.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
17-04-19, 02:51
That gave me visions of you sitting in the dumpster throwing stuff everywhere :biggrin:

I think you can see the irrationality of it all. Consider how someone with a HIV/AIDS worry would substutite with that or germs for another person. It's a filthy dumpster after all.

Something else to consider is you doing it in the first place. If it was so wrong, you wouldn't have. So, you found the strength to do something you wanted to do and it's only after that the subconscious starts trying to introduce doubts that you have already pushed through, maybe consciously or you just don't consider them (the latter being a sign you can do this!), trying to bring worry in and start the cycle of again. Don't allow it to start up, slam the bin lid on it :yesyes:

Scottyboy
17-04-19, 19:13
I have seen videos online about new in package makeup being thrown away in Ulta dumpsters, and I was also informed that scavenging this makeup is entirely legal. So, I decided to do the gross thing, and go check it out. Unfortunately I did not find any new makeup, though I did find loads of store testers (that I will not use). My concern is that at one point my glove slipped entirely off and I did not notice until makeup and trash goo was on my hand. Yes, I know, ew. I washed my hands about a thousand times afterwards. The worst part is that I had two relatively large papercuts on my hand. Now I am concerned that I came into contact with the saliva or poop of a rabid animal. To be honest, as a person with OCD, I'm just scared out of my pants.
This was a dumpster in a metropolitan area, and I am frightened there was a raccoon in there or something. I know this is a stupid concern, but help a girl out. Does this concern seem valid or a little silly to you guys? Obviously I'm not asking for professional advice, but in your opinions, do you think I should be worried?
Definitely not checking out the dumpsters again. :unsure:

If you have OCD then you’re probably aware that searching for certainty just perpetuates the cycle... in any case, part of my exposure work for ERP entails taking out the trash and then touching my face after and not washing my hands. This comes from my therapist. I have a fear of rabies contamination from a trash bin. So perhaps there is your answer.

I would not worry. I have this exact fear. I see people digging in trash bins all of the time without gloves. Ocd just loves stir up worry.
That’s how OCD operates. As mentioned above, other people would imagine HIV, bubonic plague or some other germ or disease. So the content of the intrusion is irrelevant, you’ve just frightened yourself by having a scary thought you did not like.