PDA

View Full Version : Swollen hands and struggling

dodo
16-04-19, 10:06
I have been struggling with swollen hands and fingers in the morning now for a couple of weeks. They go down when I get up. Today was the worst it’s been. I’m on the second day of my period if that has anything to do with it. Yesterday I was shattered but decided to plough through it and ignore and did a lot of jobs round the house but I kept feeling like I couldn’t breathe properly. I’m terrified I’ve got heart disease or heart failure. I went on a few long walks recently which involved a lot of climbing and that made me feel like I couldn’t breathe too. I was getting pain in my chest which made me panic and hold myself so it would worsen the breathing issues. The pain is where your ribs part in the middle between my breasts. I’m waiting to get a dr appointment and trying to be rational about it but it’s making me so worried. Any words of help would be welcome x

Scass
16-04-19, 21:13
It seems like a lot of your anxiety is around breathing, and I understand that. Do you take your peak flow at the same time each day, maybe keep a diary?

I often have stiffer or slightly swollen fingers in the morning. I think you just have to sleep with your hands slightly raised (on your pillow for example) and not balled up or squished under you.

dodo
16-04-19, 22:47
My peak flow is always the same whenever I take it within 10-20. It never drops below a certain level. but peak flow doesn’t show heart disease or heart failure right?
I've never had swollen hands before, only when I was pregnant.

Fishmanpa
16-04-19, 23:18
I actually have heart disease and what you describe isn't it. Besides, based on your post history, several medical professionals and tests totally discount any problem.

I do have a question. Looking at your post history, you have a rather large gap in posting from 2011 until last year where it appears your anxiety has come back with a vengeance. What did you do during that gap in posting that helped you?

Positive thoughts

dodo
17-04-19, 00:51
Even the pain in chest FMP? While I’ve been exerting myself I feel like I can’t breathe. It’s like a very localised pain in the centre between my breasts where the ribs start to part.
You ask about my gap. I honestly don’t know how I dealt with my anxiety better then, I just did. I went through a very stressful period too but I just seemed to handle it better. I’ve found this last year to be a whole raft of feeling unwell, physically exhausted every day to the point where I just feel like it’s affecting my wellbeing and happiness. I had my coil switched over a year ago now and the problems seem to have intensified since then. I’m approaching 40 now so I don’t know whether hormones are playing a part in how I am feeling and how I deal with things.
Thank you for your reply x

Fishmanpa
17-04-19, 01:22
Even the pain in chest FMP? While I’ve been exerting myself I feel like I can’t breathe. It’s like a very localised pain in the centre between my breasts where the ribs start to part.

Yes... While the symptoms of my two heart attacks were different, I knew something was up. It wasn't just a pain in my chest, it was inside if that makes sense. Like if you could reach in under your breastbone deep inside. The first one I had pain that radiated to my jaw and down my left arm. The second felt like an elephant standing on my chest and it radiated all across my upper back and around to the front. And the pain? OMG! Lets put it this way, there's no going to some forum to ask!

I also have angina, i.e. heart disease. The episodes of that feel an awful lot like an oncoming heart attack. I have nitro for that. One little pill under the tongue does the trick. If for any reason one pill doesn't relieve that pain, I can take up to two more in 5-10 minute intervals but I'm off to the ER immediately. Lately, I've had more attacks than usual and will discuss it with my GP and cardiologist. I'm 12 years out from my 1st and a triple bypass and over 5 years out from my 2nd and stents so I have a feeling the disease is progressing.

So... just based on my personal experience and your history, I wouldn't think there's an issue. Of course, I'm not a doctor so if this is truly concerning you, see your doctor.

Positive thoughts

dodo
17-04-19, 09:06
Ok so I guess the pain and shortness of breath is more mid back than upper back. I don’t have any risk factors. I don’t drink heavily, I never have had. I have never smoked. But I can’t get out of my head that my uncle had to have a pacemaker fitted. The dr said that this wasn’t indicative of a risk to me but I can’t get it out of my head. I’ve suffered palpitations since I was in my twenties.
I wonder if it’s easier to live with something you know you have than something you might have if that makes sense. I’m going to go talk to the dr again to discuss how tired and lethargic I am all the time. Everything exhausts me. My whole body aches all the time.
FMP you are as ever a help and I really feel for your position, it must be so frightening and disruptive to your life. Your positivity is so inspiring though.

Fishmanpa
17-04-19, 14:20
FMP you are as ever a help and I really feel for your position, it must be so frightening and disruptive to your life. Your positivity is so inspiring though.

"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we handle it" - Charles Swindoll

It's more disruptive than scary. I don't suffer from a fear of death like many here do. Will it suck? For my loved ones sure but for me? As long as its fast I'm fine with it. I went out during my 1st heart attack in the ER and it wasn't my life flashing before my eyes or anything. It was like passing out. Didn't know what hit me so... :shrug:

Maybe its time to treat your mental illness as depression and anxiety can and do cause the symptoms you experience. I live with real physical issues that can put me six feet under. Living with untreated anxiety and depression does that to you above ground.

Positive thoughts

dodo
18-04-19, 09:12
Thank you FMP.
I noticed yesterday that as soon as I get stressed or worried about something the centre of my chest under my breasts start to tense up and that’s when I start to get the pain in the Centre. Sometimes I can relax and it’ll stop but sometimes I can try really hard to relax but it’s like something is stopping it from relaxing.

dodo
08-05-19, 07:07
It’s a month on and the swollen hands is still happening. Every morning my fingers are swollen that I can’t move my rings and usually during the day they are really loose.
When I wake my whole upper body feels stiff and my arms feel puffy.