PDA

View Full Version : Have i given myself mercury poisoning? Scared!

JustBenn
16-04-19, 20:14
Hi there, I'm worried I've got mercury poisoning, last week I thought I'd be healthy and eat a lot of fish, i ate a can of tuna a day for 3 days, haddock and chips the next day and 8 large slices of salmon on its own the next day. Now 5 days later, i think I'm experiencing symptoms, bad breath, couple ulcers on gums. low mood and energy. I've googled the symptoms of mercury and it matches. I'm so scared, i don't know how to get through the night. I'm thinking of calling 111. Please help.

nomorepanic
16-04-19, 20:15
Really?

How on earth can you get mercury poisoning like that?

AMomentofClarity
16-04-19, 20:30
If you did what you describe every week for 15 years, you MIGHT have some concerns. But as it stands, you’re just fine.

Scass
16-04-19, 20:30
I mean, I want to be supportive but basically you ate a lot of fish and now you’re having a panic attack. Deal with the panic attack, you don’t have mercury poisoning x

Carys
16-04-19, 20:36
Well, I only eat fish and no other meat, and have done for 20 odd years......still here and non-mercury poisoned despite several fish based meals a week. LOL I presume by slices of salmon, you don't mean 8 fillets? Some fish contain higher mercury levels than others, but they are not the ones you ate anyway, they were the 'low mercury content' variety.

Have i given myself mercury poisoning?

No, you haven't, otherwise there would be a high proportion of the population with mercury poisoning !!! Oh and by the way, your symptoms can 100 percent not be attributed to mercury, as even if you had mercury poisoning, it can take months and years to show any symptoms (a very slow process) and they would not even be the ones you listed.

JustBenn
16-04-19, 20:50
Hey, you all seem so sure. I really think of all the fears I've had over the years, this is the one I actually have for some reason. How can the symptoms be coincidental.
If salmon did have low mercury content, what if it became high when I ate all 8 slices. Usually nobody eats 8 slices all in one go.

This is the salmon I ate. All 8 slices.

https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/412/5057753638412/IDShot_540x540.jpg

Carys
16-04-19, 20:56
Oh and by the way, your symptoms can 100 percent not be attributed to mercury, as even if you had mercury poisoning, it can take weeks, months and years to show any symptoms (a very slow process) and they would not even be the ones you listed.

....as I said above.

You are not being at all logical. So, you ate a lot of fish. That amount could be eaten by a pescetarian in 2 weeks (as you did eat a boringly large and unnecessary amount in terms of protein needs lol) rather than your one, same amount of mercury ingested. So, why would you have mercury poisoning and other people don't ???

Usually nobody eats 8 slices all in one go.

Maybe, maybe not, but 4 slices one day and 4 the next makes no difference......

Scass
16-04-19, 20:57
How do you know what everyone eats? Were there any warnings in the packet? You are fine. Come on, sit back and think about it as if your best friend was coming to you with this problem.

Carys
16-04-19, 21:03
Were there any warnings in the packet?

:roflmao:Good point! On the tins too.....

The NHS does list Shark, swordfish and marlin as being an issue for higher mercury levels, and don't give it to under 16 year olds and dont eat if pregnant. Did you eat lots of those varieties? Nope, you didn't.

Carys
16-04-19, 21:12
I've googled the symptoms of mercury and it matches

NO it doesn't match. Period. I don't know what you are looking at ?!

Midnight-mouse
17-04-19, 09:03
Usually nobody eats 8 slices all in one go.

I love fish, eat it multiple times a week every week, sometimes most days.

You would have to take the package away from me to stop me eating all of it, then I would still go back for more. I adore salmon, and have and would happily eat the whole lot, especially on a bagel with cream cheese... YUM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueIris
17-04-19, 09:20
Same here - I really struggle to make even a large package of smoked salmon last more than a couple of days. I regularly eat 8 slices over a 2-day period, probably about once a week.

JustBenn
17-04-19, 14:06
Thanks your comments are a lot of help. I usually don't eat that much fish. Not sure if the packaging said anything about mercury. I will check that when I'm in the shop next.

I couldn't get an appointment at the docs today. Its still on my mind.
I've been experiencing pins and needles on my feet since last night. All these are coming out of nowhere.

Fishmanpa
17-04-19, 14:26
I really would advise against seeing a doctor for this unless you want to be the topic of conversation and some giggles around the water cooler.

Positive thoughts

Carys
17-04-19, 16:23
I couldn't get an appointment at the docs today. Its still on my mind.
I've been experiencing pins and needles on my feet since last night. All these are coming out of nowhere.

They've come out of extreme anxiety, and convincing yourself you have mercury poisoning. You do NOT need to waste the time of a doctor about eating a fair bit of fish in a week !!!! Honestly, I know you are frightened, but a doctor might honestly think you are a taking the pee by saying that is why you are visiting.