PDA

View Full Version : When to go to the doctor?

pav1984
20-04-19, 21:50
My apologies if this topic has been covered before. I am new to this website and am worried I have missed a similar post already posted ( I am not the most observant person).

I am currently in the process of CBT for health anxiety and am trying to reduce the number of visits to the GP for various health related issues. My question is rather simple but one I can't quite get my head around.

When should I book a visit to the doctor, and how do I know if a symptom is just psychosomatic?

How do you guys handle this? I appreciate there isn't a black and white answer, just interested in how others handle things.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Beachlady
21-04-19, 05:17
Do you have a trusted friend or family member to monitor your behaviour in this regard? Sometimes another person, someone who doesn’t have HA, can be a source of direction for you.

BlueIris
21-04-19, 05:41
Agreeing with Beachlady here. I'm a serial doctor avoider, but when I'm freaking out over a minor symptom I tend to check in with my husband because I know he's saner than I am.

pav1984
21-04-19, 20:41
Thanks guys. Makes perfect sense and I have just the person. A voice of sanity is exactly just what I need I think. Much appreciated, I will give it a go.