PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need a new job

nomorepanic
10-09-07, 23:20
Can anyone help?

I need a new job - I hate mine and it is depressing me to go to work each day as it is boring and I am fed up of the same old thing. Done it since I was 22 (41 now) and I am so boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeddddddddd

It is a very techincal IT job but I have been there seen it done it so to speak.

My main skills are writing, communication, investigating and consumer affairs.

I love sorting scams out and hate people being ripped off so I would love to do the "Watchdog" type of job.

I have to play an investigator on here all the time to spot people re-registering etc and sussing people out and I enjoy exposing scams etc on TV or the net.

I have been googling but have no idea what to look for and what the job title is but I know my skills and what I am good at - just can't find a job to match.

I have no idea of a job title to search for so am stuck :shrug:

Any ideas or help please to get me out of this rut?

Just need to research a new job if only I knew how :huh:

Southern_Belle
11-09-07, 00:53
I don't know what the qualifications would have to be but you could do:

1) research at a newspaper to get information for stories
2) assisting a private investigator (think you would be great at this)
3) working with the police to get information on criminals via the internet such as background checks, etc.
4) personally I've always thought this would be interesting but somehow catching mistakes that have been made when editing films, I catch them all the time, this would probably be really difficult to get into though

Just some ideas, will give more if you like these.

Hugs,

Laura

Gabby
11-09-07, 09:28
What about some kind of IT job for the police? Maybe that would be a sort of investigating thing, running checks on suspects and stuff?

darkangel
11-09-07, 18:34
Hi Nic

We have a Careers Scotland website which runs through a questionnaire finding out what interests you, etc then it gives a list of most matched type of careers. You might have something similar in your area or use this one for ideas!!

http://www.careers-scotland.org.uk/WhichCareer/CareersMatch/CareersMatchIntro.asp

Luv Darangel

nomorepanic
11-09-07, 20:14
Thanks Laura, Gabby and DA

I do fancy some sort of investigation work but you can't google that cos it is too broad and returns millions of hits lol.

Never thought about the police thing - could look into that.

I appreciate the suggestions and will look at that website DA - appreciate you finding that for me.

Jaco45er
11-09-07, 20:29
I don't blame you Nic.

I have had a gut full of the tech side, trained in Cisco, TCP/IP, LAN/WAN etc but just about gave it all up to go back to me roots.

I started doing the tech side when I was 22 funny enough, before that I was a network cable installer. I have now, in the last 3 weeks gone back to installer (white van, Dewalt drills, all the toys ;) ) and scaling down the tech side, sticking to wireless installs and fibre optic terminating at a push, as a sole trader but soon to be limited.

It's a lot less stress, I never did like wearing a suit for work.

Good Luck

Jaco

kazzie
11-09-07, 21:54
Hi Nic:D

Police work or private investigator spring to mind!!

How about sending your CV to local detective agencies etc??

Best of luck

Luv Kaz x

clickaway
11-09-07, 22:24
Why not ring up the Watchdog office (or a similar programme) and ask them for a route.

There's nothing like being direct and brave!

:hugs: :hugs:

nomorepanic
11-09-07, 23:05
Jaco - I want to get away from IT as such but happy to use a PC if you like. Just rebuilding servers every day is so boring! Glad you are happier now in your new job.

Kaz - I could do but I have no experience whatsoever and getting on a bit now lol. Maybe see what they say.

Ray - I mailed the BBC specifically about that and no reply and it looks like the jobs are London based so no good for me - sigh!

I am still hunting lol.

clickaway
11-09-07, 23:09
Nic,

I really meant phone the Watchdog office up and speak to someone on the ground so they could give you leads on where to look, rather than actually work for them as I realise London or Birmingham would not appeal.

nomorepanic
11-09-07, 23:26
Ray - thanks.

Alex phoned his friend that works for Anglia news as well - no reply yet.

We will get me a new job soon that I actually like!

happyone
12-09-07, 09:10
Hi Nic,

my brain can't think of any suggestions but I just wanted to offer my sympathies in you not enjoying your job.
I wish you luck in finding something else as work is such a large part of life we want to enjoy it eh?
:hugs:
Happyone
xx

nomorepanic
12-09-07, 23:15
thanks happy

Yes I am so miserable so need to move on I feel

kazzie
12-09-07, 23:28
Awwww Nic:hugs:

Im jobhunting too:yesyes:

Best of luck:yesyes:

Kaz x

geordie flower
13-09-07, 22:51
Hiya, its always been a quote ov mine " lifes too short to do a job you hate" im a florist and i love it ive met some amazing people and heard some really sad stories along the way! The money is crap, minimum wage, but i love it! i get up on a morning and look forward to going to work cos every day is different i cudnt imagine doing anything else, i cud get a job in asda, morrisons etc and get paid more but thats not for me, job satisfaction means more to me, good luck in our job hunt tracey x:)

Karen
13-09-07, 23:03
Aww Nic I don't like to think of you being so unhappy. I hope you find something else soon :hugs:

Karen xx

t0rt01se36
14-09-07, 15:44
Hello Nic

I should have a medal for the person looking for work the longest lol. Have you tried www.reed.co.uk or the jobs page on the BBC webby? I too think you should fit in well with a Researcher job. Have you ever worked in a Charitable Organisation doing a paid job?
Also try a psychometric test but I guess you've already done so.

Good luck.

Julie x

honeybee3939
14-09-07, 18:02
Hi Nic

What about working for something like the Trading Standards? can imagine you doing that line of work, they have a recruitment section on the there web page.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

Just a thought

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

erialc
14-09-07, 19:53
My Dad is in the police so will ask him, he is a retired detective and now does investigation stuff (not always exciting) but I know he likes doing it. Its the kind of thing that offers a bit of variety - one day he could be checking out someone lives where they say they do the next can be something different.

Will find out a bit and let u know.

I am job hunting too because I am fed up of ordinary office job - I have an interview on Monday :byebye:so hopefully will be saying goodbye to my boring 9 -5 very soon :)

I used to work for The Job Centre - Head Office - there was an investigation team there - they investigate people doing benefit fraud and stuff - just an idea??

I also worked in a Bank and they had a team who dealt with people scamming on mortgages and credit cards and stuff - that always seemed more interesting than what I was doing.

Good Luck with the search, I hope you find something that makes you happy

nomorepanic
16-09-07, 23:10
Thanks all - will look at the links etc

Much appreciated !