PDA

View Full Version : Tics

Justmoi
23-04-19, 11:28
Does anyone else kind of turn their head/ jerk their head to the side and have no to little control over the movement. I think I do it to stop/displace thoughts.

WiredIncorrectly
23-04-19, 13:59
Does anyone else kind of turn their head/ jerk their head to the side and have no to little control over the movement. I think I do it to stop/displace thoughts.

I've had an eye squinting tic from birth. But that's related to aspergers I believe. My son has a tic when he's nervous or excited. He doesn't have any mental health problems. I think yes a tic can be used as a coping mechanism. I don't know much about them though.

Justmoi
23-04-19, 14:29
I've had an eye squinting tic from birth. But that's related to aspergers I believe. My son has a tic when he's nervous or excited. He doesn't have any mental health problems. I think yes a tic can be used as a coping mechanism. I don't know much about them though.

Thank you for your reply

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-19, 14:41
Something that seems more unusual in OCD is that it can contain tics. I went through it myself at the worst but it went away as my anxiety levels reduced. I remember reading about it a couple of years back but it seems to be rarely covered.

I would be feeling an involuntary need to nod my head when completing compulsive re-reading (mostly when out like reading labels in lampposts) and it was more when the compulsions would restart after completing them already and I was feeling more frustration.

Grimacing was another one.

Justmoi
24-04-19, 22:17
Yes, I didn't find much on Google either. I agree that it reduces as the level of anxiety reduces

DustingMyselfOff
25-04-19, 21:36
I've had tics since I was 6, and they wax and wane depending on my anxiety levels. Very little about adult tics on the internet.
Sue