PDA

View Full Version : Brain tumour?

Aimee1875
23-04-19, 23:03
I have panicked myself again. 3 years ago I went to get my eyes tested to find out they thought I had a swollen optic nerve and I would have to go to the hospital to get it checked. Got an appointment,was seen and seen again 6 weeks later to be told it’s probably a curved nerve and just the way I’m born. I’ve not been back to get my eyes tested because I’m so paranoid now and don’t think I could put myself through it again even though I should. I read in the news the other day about someone who went on a rollercoaster and it shock the brain tumour in her head which moved it and caused her to finally have symptoms. It says upon further investigation her nerve was swollen and her eyesight in that eye was bad,just like mines is. The eyesight in that eye is much worse than the other one and it’s gotten worse again,I just can’t bring myself to go get it seen:( I feel sick,like I know I’m gonna die from it and it’s all I can think about. I’m not sure what to do anymore.

jojo2316
24-04-19, 09:39
Sorry you are feeling this way. But look at the facts. This was first discovered 3 years ago as an “incidental” finding, in other words it was causing no symptoms. You had it checked out and were told you were most likely born with it. Since then no significant new symptoms have appeared.

RadioGaGa
24-04-19, 10:28
Papilloedema would be very unusual to be present without symptoms. As a brain tumour grows within the skull, the tumour itself takes up space as does the swelling it causes in the surrounding brain tissue. The result can be (but not always of course) headaches, vomiting, blurred vision and Papilloedema.

I googled the story you're referring to about the rollercoaster girl. All I can say is this is extremely rare for it to be triggered in this way, and in the seven years I've been OBSESSED with brain tumours, I've never read anything like this.

Im wondering is this sensationalism by the Daily mail. Because they report she had an astrocytoma, which are cancerous (yes they can be low grade, but they always claim the life of the sufferer eventually). The problem I have with this, is how can a fixed tumour be 'moved'. The reason these tumours are so deadly is because they grow like spiders into the brain, with tendrils that can't be removed. Hence tumour always recurs. So how can something like that 'move'? Probably all this ride did was accelerate her getting symptoms - she'd have developed them within days had she not been on the ride, as it probably worsened the intracranial pressure.

Although it's understandable that you're apprehensive about further eye tests, they are important to get done.

This finding in your eye is NOT, I repeat NOT, caused by a brain tumour. I can say with 20000% certainty, as once a brain tumour causes papilloedema, unless it's removed VERY VERY SOON, the patient will rapidly deteriorate to unconsciousness and die.

So, long story shorr: YOU'RE FINE :)

Aimee1875
24-04-19, 14:19
Thank you both for your replies. It has greatly calmed me down. I know I need to go back but when I think back to that time,I could barely function with fear. I was near the end of high school with so much going on with exams etc and had things to look forward to and it honestly made me ill with constant worry. I actually wondered why all those years of constant worrying about different illnesses was even necessary because now it could have been real and I’ve wasted so much of my time thinking I was dying. I do think that after 3 years,plus the further 2 before that where it was pretty much the same,I would have known about it by now. I still wonder how my eyesight is terrible in that eye vs the other one and that’s why i can’t get over the fear as I’m focused on bad eyesight in an eye with a funny nerve = tumour.

RadioGaGa
24-04-19, 19:10
I will say it again: It is with absolute certainty - there is NOT a *shred* of doubt - the "finding" in your eye is NOT a sign of a tumour or raised pressure within the skull. FACT.

Once a tumour (or any other pathology) causes raised pressure and papilloedema, it is literally weeks at best until the patient dies. Unless they have the tumour surgically removed and start dexamethasone etc etc.

You do not have a brain tumour!!!

Good luck

To also further reassure you: You're at 36 months "post finding" - the average life expectancy of a glioblastoma (on the whole it's very rare, but its the most common primary brain tumour in adults) is only 14 months (some studies put it as low as 9, others are now saying 16 months). And that's with the best treatment - surgery, chemo, XRT....... How do you think you'd have survived nearly three times that long without any sort of treatment? :shades:

Aimee1875
24-04-19, 20:36
Wow,you really have helped me RadioGaGa! Everyone tells me to let it go but when you’ve constantly thought you were dying for about 3 years plus with horrible anxiety it’s hard not to focus on it. I will try to get past this fear,and hopefully push myself to get my eyes tested because it’s important!

RadioGaGa
24-04-19, 21:16
Not a problem - happy to assist :)

My advice for you now would be:
* Get eyes tested
* Get CBT/meds for anxiety
* Live a happy life
* Forget about brain tumours

The end!

4bready
28-04-19, 05:21
I will say it again: It is with absolute certainty - there is NOT a *shred* of doubt - the "finding" in your eye is NOT a sign of a tumour or raised pressure within the skull. FACT.

Once a tumour (or any other pathology) causes raised pressure and papilloedema, it is literally weeks at best until the patient dies. Unless they have the tumour surgically removed and start dexamethasone etc etc.

You do not have a brain tumour!!!

Good luck

To also further reassure you: You're at 36 months "post finding" - the average life expectancy of a glioblastoma (on the whole it's very rare, but its the most common primary brain tumour in adults) is only 14 months (some studies put it as low as 9, others are now saying 16 months). And that's with the best treatment - surgery, chemo, XRT....... How do you think you'd have survived nearly three times that long without any sort of treatment? :shades:
RadioGAGa
I have been in a brain tumor cycle. I had pressure in sinus areas, temples off and on for few months now, ..I actually went to eye doc two weeks ago they dilated and said optic nerve looks fine. Since then, recently I have been feeling dizzy, off-balance at times throughout the day, ringing in ear at times...this scared me as I read about papilloedema and got nervous thinking my off-balance, pressure across face is a Brian tumor, which I start feeling soon after i wake up (which I read with brain tumors are worse in morning), and I hurt my back and left quad is numb to touch....all of which is making me think BT......Your post helped and...I've been starting meds and therapy .

Andy699
29-04-19, 04:22
I totally agree with RadioGaGa (love the name btw :yesyes:) my main concern is brain tumours and I used to be scared s**tless that I had one because vision in my one eye was funny, like really funny and off balance, was absolutely convinced I had papilloedema, turns out it was from looking out screen to much and my left eye was weaker than my right. But I completely get where you're coming from with the college thing. My HA was horrendous when I was at college, had to have so many days off. But please believe me it does get better. Stay strong :)