PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine

joy
11-09-07, 07:25
http://www.crazymeds.org/CrazyTalk/style_images/ip.boardpr/spacer.gif
I rang my shrink yesterday as I am getting seriously worried about the increased anxiety I'm getting on Effexor./venlafaxine. I was told he would ring back but in fact a mental health worker rang back who didnt know anything about meds! But her remit was to tell me that as I have an apt to see the docs next week I should just put up with it!! Am really cross about this, should I ring again and possibly get the same poor girl or insist on speaking to the doc or at least a doc.

Monday seems along way away!

LoveJoy

traciec39
11-09-07, 08:07
If you have recently started these tablets then its very normal to get an increase in anxiety for a little while.
However, i really do think that your doctor needs to reasure you, if i were you i would call back the practice and insist that the doctor call you as he or she was the person who prescribed the medicine for you.

In the meanime please be reassured that its only a side effect and pretty soon it will pass.

Lets know how you get on with the doc!

Good luck
tracie x

Jimbo
11-09-07, 10:23
Hey Joy,

I agree with Tracie, the initial start up effects can be unpleasant but if you can keep up with them, they will pass.
When you are anxious, if you focus on your symptoms then they can fuel each other and make you feel worse. It's best to try distraction and relaxation techniques to help take your mind off things.

I'm guessing you've been on other AD's before they tried this one? Some of the anx could be from coming off your last one. When I switched to Effexor I had some Diazepam from the GP that helped a lot.

It's really a choice of considering the balance. Effexor is sposed to be one of the last ditch AD's, so if it doesn't do the trick then it's unlikely any other SSRI type ones will.

It's easy for me to say, 'just wait it out'. Cause I remember how I felt at the time. Also, AD's effect each person in a different way. For me I couldn't tolerate Prozac cause I felt so awful and stopped that, where other people have no problems at all. If you can't tolerate the side effects compared to your depression or anx. Then perhaps consider coming off them. Try to think about the long term, as AD's aren't an immediate fix unfortunately.

I've tried about 6 different AD's and I've found Effexor to be the most effective. However, in the words of my shrink, AD's aren't a 'cure' they just stop you sinking into severe depression and things getting worse. I expected AD's to solve all my problems, but sadly there isn't a magic pill that solves everything.

You could always phone and ask for a phone appointment with your doc. Perhaps ask for something to help you stay calm while you get used to it.

Good luck,

Jim :hugs:

joy
11-09-07, 12:52
Thanks Guys. Rang the shrinks Dept and insisted that a member of the medical team rings back so we'll see!!!

I agree anxiety feeds on itself and I try and do all sorts to distract but nothing seems to work

Anyway I'll wait for the call

Love Joy

joy
11-09-07, 21:28
well rang again!

this time a social worker rang back!!!!
Also didnt know anything about meds and soon realised he couldnt help with my query and said all the docs were busy!!
anyway he said he would try and speak to someone and ring back.when he did he said the doc said the anxiety was prob a side effect and to stick with it til Mon!
So didnt get too far as to how to deal with the anxiety at the mo

Love Joy

patricias
23-11-11, 16:41
hi, i have just been changed from citalopram to venlafaxine, i was on citalopram for 10 years and my anxiety levels where getting worse, i am trusting my doctor that he knows what hes doing. just read a lot of good and bad things, but then i did about citalpram as well. :weep:had a good cry while i was there which i havent been able to do for years, i will be looking forward to feeling better i hope.