PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have acid reflux

Beachlady
25-04-19, 01:35
This isn’t an HA issue, but a question about medicine.

I have acid reflux and was curious about meds that other acid reflux sufferers take and/or would recommend. My acid reflux is the “silent” kind--only rarely do I get heartburn (and I mean twice in my life) but I have a cough, lots of phlegm in the morning (sorry if this is TMI) and throat clearing.

I’ve had a flareup recently and am taking Zantac at night. I’ve never taken it long term and I’ve never tried PPI’s.

Any experts out there who would care to share their experience with reflux and meds that work for them, especially in the long term?

Thanks!

AMomentofClarity
25-04-19, 01:47
This isn’t an HA issue, but a question about medicine.

I have acid reflux and was curious about meds that other acid reflux sufferers take and/or would recommend. My acid reflux is the “silent” kind--only rarely do I get heartburn (and I mean twice in my life) but I have a cough, lots of phlegm in the morning (sorry if this is TMI) and throat clearing.

I’ve had a flareup recently and am taking Zantac at night. I’ve never taken it long term and I’ve never tried PPI’s.

Any experts out there who would care to share their experience with reflux and meds that work for them, especially in the long term?

Thanks!

I’ve had great success with Prevacid. It’s my understanding that Zantac and the like don’t really work for LPR reflux.

NancyW
25-04-19, 03:11
My son has great relief from Nexium.

Fishmanpa
25-04-19, 05:02
My wife and I both take Pantoprazole. We've been on it for years. It does the job but we still follow the FODMAP (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet. We kept a food diary for a couple of months and made note of foods that aggravated things. Sadly, that means strictly limiting or eliminating some foods we love (pizza etc.). We still indulge occasionally and pay the price but sometimes its worth it :)

Positive thoughts

Beachlady
25-04-19, 18:20
Thanks AMoment. I read about Prevacid. I’m having good results from Zantac, but that isn’t to say it will continue working.

Beachlady
25-04-19, 18:23
My son has great relief from Nexium.

I saw Nexium at the drug store and wondered about it. thanks.

Beachlady
25-04-19, 18:27
My wife and I both take Pantoprazole. We've been on it for years. It does the job but we still follow the FODMAP (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet. We kept a food diary for a couple of months and made note of foods that aggravated things. Sadly, that means strictly limiting or eliminating some foods we love (pizza etc.). We still indulge occasionally and pay the price but sometimes its worth it :)

Positive thoughts

Pantoprazole may be down the line for me and I’ll keep it in mind. I’m hoping I can control it with an OTC. This is a recent problem and I’m hoping it won’t be a permanent thing. I’ll have to look into the FODMAP, thanks.

Scass
25-04-19, 19:18
Omeprazole (nexium) helped me more than Zantac. Also I always keep some gaviscon handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
25-04-19, 19:31
Pantoprazole may be down the line for me and I’ll keep it in mind. I’m hoping I can control it with an OTC. This is a recent problem and I’m hoping it won’t be a permanent thing. I’ll have to look into the FODMAP, thanks.

We were taking OTCs and supplementing with Mylanta as needed (we still do when we eat something we shouldn't... damn that pizza!;) ). Unfortunately, my wife and I have heavy duty Reflux which called for a heavy duty PPI. Most of the OTC PPIs are effective though. After all, they all were prescription meds at one time. Give it a shot and definitely look at the FODMAP list of foods. Keep in mind, they take a week or so to kick in.

Positive thoughts

Beachlady
25-04-19, 20:32
We were taking OTCs and supplementing with Mylanta as needed (we still do when we eat something we shouldn't... damn that pizza!;) ). Unfortunately, my wife and I have heavy duty Reflux which called for a heavy duty PPI. Most of the OTC PPIs are effective though. After all, they all were prescription meds at one time. Give it a shot and definitely look at the FODMAP list of foods. Keep in mind, they take a week or so to kick in.

Positive thoughts

Yup, I think I’ll try the OTC’s (many of which, like you said, were scripts anyway) and see where that takes me.

My brother-in-law, who had terrible acid reflux, also told me about eating celery--which so happens to be on the FODMAP list as well. Guess I’m off grocery shopping!

Beachlady
25-04-19, 20:34
Omeprazole (nexium) helped me more than Zantac. Also I always keep some gaviscon handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was undergoing chemo Gaviscon was a life-saver! I forgot all about that one--thanks for reminding me.

bin tenn
26-04-19, 13:47

Positive thoughts

I currently take Pantoprazole and have had a lot of success with it. Was on 40mg. My doc took me down to 20mg recently. She wants to try and wean me off of it because of those studies that suggest a link between long term PPI use and risk of Alzheimer's. Don't know if there is truly a link. And i really don't like the idea of stopping it, because Pantoprazole is the only thing that's truly helped my reflux.