PDA

View Full Version : Bit my tongue whilst asleep?

LF87
27-04-19, 16:21
Hi,
I just dosed off as I've not been sleeping too well and had a nap. I jolted awake with a sharp pain on the side of my tongue, I've obviously bitten it in my sleep. So I googled and nocturnal seizures is one of the things that came up! Now I'm panicking as I've always worried about epilepsy. Has this happened to anyone else before? I obviously bit it quite hard cos I've left a big red mark.
Thank you xx

Fishmanpa
27-04-19, 16:49
So I googled

:doh: Its "one of the things" and found with those that have epilepsy. The most common one being grinding your teeth which an extremely common symptom of anxiety.

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
27-04-19, 18:19
I’m positive that if you had epilepsy you would know.

RadioGaGa
28-04-19, 00:06
I have answered so many epilepsy related questions on here recently?! It must be the "flavour of the month" :roflmao:

Biting the tongue during sleep can be a symptom of nocturnal seizures, however, more specific symptoms would be bed wetting and waking up feeling confused (and not after a heavy night of drinking or waking up and only wondering what day it is, respectively.)

I highly highly highly doubt you had a seizure during sleep.

good luck

LF87
29-04-19, 14:29
Thanks for these posts. The same thing just happened again on the same part of my tongue!? And it really really hurt. I am so baffled by this? X

BlueIris
29-04-19, 14:37
It probably hurt because you bit the same place for the second time. Honestly, though, it isn't a big deal. Not everything has an explanation, and not everything needs one - you just bit your tongue in your sleep.

LF87
29-04-19, 14:55
Thanks blueiris. I told my partner I bit it again and he just told me I've been making weird noises in my sleep too, not sure what's going on, maybe my anxiety is manifesting itself when I'm asleep too.

BlueIris
29-04-19, 15:04
Sounds about right. I occasionally wake myself and my husband up when I'm screaming or crying in my sleep.

LF87
29-04-19, 15:06
He said it was like a weird grunting sound haha, very attractive! Anxiety is so much fun 😑😂