PDA

View Full Version : Long haul flights

phil06
28-04-19, 19:14
I want to go to New York I can afford it but I worry about going mad being stuck on a plane 7 hours or the food being poor. Had Concorde still been around I would have flew that way.

Have a bigger fear of boats I would hate being one week at sea from Southhampton. Can anybody relate to this fear? I also hate long train journeys I did 4 hours per day back in February. Will the dream of getting to New York happen will I wait for faster planes or will I be able to suffer a long flight?

Scass
28-04-19, 19:20
When it comes to your holidays Phil, it seems that you worry, worry, worry about all the things that could possibly go wrong and then you still manage to do it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulisa
28-04-19, 19:46
Is New York on your "to do" list in order to impress people or do you genuinely want to go for the experience and the sightseeing? What would you do during your stay there?

phil06
28-04-19, 19:58
Is New York on your "to do" list in order to impress people or do you genuinely want to go for the experience and the sightseeing? What would you do during your stay there?

I was never into travel years ago but Rome and New York were places I always wanted to visit. I have sadly visited neither yet however I am likely to tackle Rome by train next year as I made Italy by train this year. Flying over to Dublin causes me less anxiety as it’s a short flight.

phil06
28-04-19, 20:00
When it comes to your holidays Phil, it seems that you worry, worry, worry about all the things that could possibly go wrong and then you still manage to do it anyway.

I guess the positive is I still go however flying I find more difficult. I have flew to two European cities however I have done most by rail

pulisa
28-04-19, 20:01
I was never into travel years ago but Rome and New York were places I always wanted to visit. I have sadly visited neither yet however I am likely to tackle Rome by train next year as I made Italy by train this year. Flying over to Dublin causes me less anxiety as it’s a short flight.

But is it all about managing the flights or do you actually want to spend time exploring the cities?

phil06
28-04-19, 20:09
But is it all about managing the flights or do you actually want to spend time exploring the cities?

A bit of both I think.

pulisa
28-04-19, 20:26
Maybe try to focus more on what you plan to do when you get there as opposed to catastrophising re the flight itself?

What would you most like to do in New York?

phil06
28-04-19, 20:32
Maybe try to focus more on what you plan to do when you get there as opposed to catastrophising re the flight itself?

What would you most like to do in New York?

That’s true and just visit all the main sights I could focus on that.

I worry about the jet lag, time zone, airplane food and I hate flying but I mean it’s not like I will be visiting New York every year so I maybe just have to find some courage to go?

pulisa
28-04-19, 20:39
Could you take your own food on the flight? Jet lag would be a pain but it's not as if you were flying to New Zealand or Oz. You like your holidays, Phil and if you can afford it why not go?

KK77
28-04-19, 21:13
I thought you said you had no money for therapy, yet you have enough for hol to NY and Rome? :lac:

phil06
28-04-19, 21:15
Could you take your own food on the flight? Jet lag would be a pain but it's not as if you were flying to New Zealand or Oz. You like your holidays, Phil and if you can afford it why not go?

Not sure maybe you can take your own food maybe that’s something I could check out for sure? Well my last holiday was more expensive than New York and I do prefer city breaks. Yes I mean Australia is a good 20 hours plus that could be worse I Duno now people manage it. I considered a stop off in Iceland to reduce the time.

phil06
28-04-19, 21:15
I thought you said you had no money for therapy, yet you have enough for hol to NY and Rome? :lac:

Haha well I should add these holiday plans are 2020 by which time I could afford more therapy.

KK77
28-04-19, 21:21
2020? So you plan well in advance then. That's something...

Bon voyage, old bean :D

Fishmanpa
28-04-19, 21:57
You've had several (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?218249-Holiday-in-Italy) travel (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?193355-Worried-about-flying) worries (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?219288-Worried-about-booking-flights) posts (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?219288-Worried-about-booking-flights) in (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?212753-Holiday-stress) the last couple of years. What have you learned from the advice given on those threads?

Positive thoughts

phil06
30-04-19, 19:16
I worry if I put too much pressure on myself to go to these places. I fear flying and long journeys do I accept right now that that’s not the life I want to live or do I push myself further?

pulisa
30-04-19, 19:23
Do you really want to go to these places or are you forcing yourself to fly just to impress others?

phil06
30-04-19, 19:38
Do you really want to go to these places or are you forcing yourself to fly just to impress others?

Well I think I answered that earlier and would you say I was showing off if I said I wanted to go to Blackpool? Perhaps as these destinations sound exotic

Fishmanpa
30-04-19, 19:47

Yet no $$ for therapy :whistles:

SSDD

Positive thoughts

pulisa
30-04-19, 20:04
Well I think I answered that earlier and would you say I was showing off if I said I wanted to go to Blackpool? Perhaps as these destinations sound exotic

Why not go to Blackpool? Isn't it "exotic" enough for the facebook pictures?

phil06
30-04-19, 20:16

Well don’t most people put holiday snaps on Facebook these days this is the generation we are In.

phil06
30-04-19, 20:17
Yet no $$ for therapy :whistles:

SSDD

Positive thoughts

Well I’m not going any holidays until after my wedding

pulisa
30-04-19, 20:32
Well don’t most people put holiday snaps on Facebook these days this is the generation we are In.

Some people don't need to post holiday snaps on facebook. It's not compulsory. You don't need to "compete" with people.

BlueIris
30-04-19, 21:22
This is true. What does it matter what others are doing?

phil06
30-04-19, 21:24
But that doesn’t explain if I go for the dream of going to New York my fear is flying and long haul? Had Concorde been around today I could have flew much quicker.

BlueIris
30-04-19, 21:39
But that doesn’t explain if I go for the dream of going to New York my fear is flying and long haul? Had Concorde been around today I could have flew much quicker.

We know what happened to Concorde, though.

Fishmanpa
30-04-19, 22:05

You have a point.... INSTAGRAM! :yesyes:

Social media..... :doh:

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-19, 06:21
Could you take your own food on the flight? Jet lag would be a pain but it's not as if you were flying to New Zealand or Oz. You like your holidays, Phil and if you can afford it why not go?If you fly Ryanair you have to take your own pilot let alone your butties :winks:

jojo2316
01-05-19, 12:03

I would post my Blackpool holiday snaps with pride!

Scass
01-05-19, 15:51
I would post my Blackpool holiday snaps with pride!

I would love a holiday to post pics from!

BlueIris
01-05-19, 15:53
Same here, Scass, I haven't been on holiday in three years, and before that it was a decade.

Scass
01-05-19, 15:55
Maybe Phil can take us with him? We’ll offer free reassurance and relaxation exercises.

BlueIris
01-05-19, 16:01
Perfect! You bring the lavender oil, I'll bring the camomile tea.

Scass
01-05-19, 16:10
New York here we come!

JonBrave
01-05-19, 18:43
Hi Phil,

Just to say: I have always been a GAD/PA sufferer, but I manage to make a couple of long-distance flights to DC/Boston each year. Admittedly I sometimes get help from prescription diazepam, I don't suppose you have that? Things like jetlag/timezone aren't the worst, you could skip the food but it's not too bad (BA), it's just airplane food :) Planes have tv/video, also take calming music/speech you like on iPod/mobile.

phil06
10-05-19, 22:06
I have been watching some flying programmes on tv to make me feel more at ease about flying problem is right now I don’t want to fly and I go through these phases sometimes it lasts years before I can get the courage to go on a plane I mean I hate long train journeys but flying I am struggling with. I keep saying I will book a short flight to Dublin but I worry I won’t be Abel to do longer flights for a while

nomorepanic
10-05-19, 22:42
You don't have to fly though - why are you making this an issue?

I used to fly, hated it so now I don't do it - my choice.

phil06
10-05-19, 22:51
You don't have to fly though - why are you making this an issue?

I used to fly, hated it so now I don't do it - my choice.

Not sure maybe because it’s quicker and places like New York require flying. Same with Dublin the boats don’t go to Dublin.

But you are correct I reached Italy by train however my travel bug has meant I want to visit every corner far and wide including places that require flying. That said I still have many to explore by rail but I don’t know why I go through phases of not wanting to fly?

nomorepanic
10-05-19, 23:10
But you DON'T have to go to New York do you?

If you want to then you need to overcome your fears.

MyNameIsTerry
11-05-19, 02:09
So, you have some choices:

1) Let your anxiety stop you i.e. avoidance. This won't help you in the long run for very obvious reasons.
2) Go for it and take it, good or bad.
3) Take a structured approach to building up to your dreams.
4) Procrastinate. This would your anxiety's preference :winks:

If you consider 3 you can try things to get you closer to your goals. Get a map out and see where you can get too and how. Where is there within that radius that would interest you? Over time you gain confidence and build it up, expand the radius.

Since you have done a fair bit of travelling you are already doing this with rail. So, you can expand that with rail. You can also follow this approach again but with planes. You don't need to fly straight to Rome to build up your confidence when you could get cheap flights across the UK. Then keep going...

Yes I have spoken a lot about avoidance over the years and how it never helps In the end I usually have to face my fear. I looked into the boat but it’s a week to New York I believe that might be worse. I probably have a bigger fear of boats than planes.

I realise the easiest way for me to get to Rome is either book a cheap flight or some how do that journey I went on before and add Rome in and do it by rail. And yes short flights I could fly to Dublin 20 times before I’d fancy long haul to New York because the time in the air is only like 30 mins most of the time is take off and landing.

I use to get worked up and only do UK holidays with my anxiety then I decided to go over the tunnel to Europe and that expanded things and I done Italy which is usually only done by flying.

My goal was New York next year but I looked into the Scottish flights they all involve overnight travel and I can’t sleep on a plane so the best I found was 10am I think it around 12pm and landing back in London at 10pm. New York actually takes up a full day travel with the time zone issue.

So yes I am maybe hoping to do more CBT this year and try and get help for flying so I can go to New York it would be a shame for the anxiety to win as generally I usually don’t let it now. There is so much to think about with New York the food, time zone, long haul, jet lag ect. I quite fancy Japan aswell but again my anxiety is long haul and the food. Perhaps one day I can come back here and say I did go to New York? I will be honest and say if Concorde was still around I would be very happy to fly 3/4 hours to New York despite my fear of flying because it would be much quicker. I flew to Barcelona so these short haul flights are easier for me.

^ Like we discussed on your other thread take it in stages. ERP would do it this way. It doesn't to be straight on the plane either, you could be at the airport only in earlier stages.

Build up through shorter, more tolerable stages.

The same with trains. Why can't you pick a midway point to Rome? Stay at that point for a day or two, as part of the holiday, and then get back on the train?

phil06
16-05-19, 23:37
I have been watching the easy jet programme on tv it has been making me feel more at ease yes there are some pilots training but they seem to go through intense training first

phil06
04-11-19, 11:33
I have been beating myself up again regarding long haul flights. I want to go to America and would maybe even love to stay there but my fear of flying is the issue. No where in Europe can match my ambition of America. I have a friend going to Australia and my sister is going to South Africa I Duno how they manage. Problem is it’s not financial it’s anxiety stopping me going.