PDA

View Full Version : What does a dangerous lymph node feel like?

wingo22
29-04-19, 15:11
So many of us (including me) have this fear of feeling something that we overreact to or feel is dangerous. But like what differentiates between a normal node and a dangerous one? Are they rock hard and easy to find?
I feel like we can poke around our bodies and always find something “new” to feel. But is a dangerous lymph node easy to see/find?

Fishmanpa
29-04-19, 15:38
But is a dangerous lymph node easy to see/find?

Yes. Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

The cancer in my neck started with a swollen node. It was easily felt and visible. It GREW! Within a few months, it went from the size of a small grape to the size of a large walnut! It was rock hard, immobile and painless. You don't have to go looking for them (poking and prodding) as they make themselves known.

Positive thoughts

Beachlady
29-04-19, 17:18
Only a doctor can tell you the difference between a dangerous node or an innocent one, but for the record HL nodes are rubbery and moveable, totally different from Fishmanpa. Most of us cancer survivors (and non HA sufferers) knew immediately that our nodes were different from the usual type of swollen nodes.

I suggest you ask your doctor and he/she will tell you why this or that node isn’t concerning.

Fishmanpa
29-04-19, 17:44
I suggest you ask your doctor and he/she will tell you why this or that node isn’t concerning.

And STOP POKING AND PRODDING and looking for harmless things to worry about! :shades:

Positive thoughts

NancyW
29-04-19, 21:01
This was a lump in my son's neck... very visible, painless, very firm. It was growing very slowly. It was not cancer. http://i68.tinypic.com/2h50fhv.jpg

Beachlady
30-04-19, 00:47
And STOP POKING AND PRODDING and looking for harmless things to worry about! :shades:

Positive thoughts

:yesyes:

wingo22
30-04-19, 18:45
Thanks everyone.
I am just hoping not to fall down the rabbit hole with this again. I felt “something” one night on my right upper arm. My wife felt it too and says it just feels like thickened skin. There is no definitive hard lump or marble, but I just felt it by accident and was worrying about it. I don’t want to keep touching it or feeling it for reassurance. What do I do?

Fishmanpa
30-04-19, 18:54
What do I do?

Real. Life. Professional. Help.

Or... if your head is in the right space, download the FREE CBT course (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?211324-9-FREE-CBT-ebooks-for-Health-Anxiety) and do some self help.

Positive thoughts