PDA

View Full Version : Are you convinced you have an illness when worrying?

pav1984
29-04-19, 23:28
I am suffering with health anxiety and am trying to get to the bottom of why my mind seems to gravitate to certain illnesses.

My latest obsession is Melanoma. I have lost count of the panic attacks I have had thinking that a mole or mark on the skin is Melanoma.

I am just wondering what triggers your anxiety and do you actually believe that you have said illness or do you suspect in your mind that it is just anxiety?

I seem to go in circles, one week/month I may obsess over Melanoma, next month it could be something totally different. I am not even sure how I find certain lumps, bumps, marks, sensations etc.

I am hoping once I understand why I think in a certain way, I can prevent it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

nomorepanic
29-04-19, 23:31
Have you tried the HA workbooks we recommend you read in the sticky threads?

AMomentofClarity
29-04-19, 23:37
“Are you convinced you have an illness when worrying”

Please allow me to comment on behalf of all frequenters of the Health Anxiety section here.....

YES!

BlueIris
30-04-19, 07:37
Yes, AND HOW

Hypomean
30-04-19, 08:29
Whenever I get cramp or lower abdominal pain I fear the absolute worst: cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, IUD perforation, Colon obstruction, an aneurysm of some sort, etc... it turns out to be menstrual cramps or gas 😒. Here’s the thing deep down inside we know. I know it’s just anxiety or just gas or just an everyday pain/sensation we felt, and it’s not serious. We just have to trust that little voice.
I sometimes can’t and I start to really believe I’m living with a killer ailment. And also what helps is keeping busy. Distracting those thoughts.

Mr. Ed
01-05-19, 02:11
Yes... right now I am full blown Parkinson's mode. Last month it was prostate cancer. Next month...who knows!

pav1984
01-05-19, 23:14
Whenever I get cramp or lower abdominal pain I fear the absolute worst: cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, IUD perforation, Colon obstruction, an aneurysm of some sort, etc... it turns out to be menstrual cramps or gas 😒. Here’s the thing deep down inside we know. I know it’s just anxiety or just gas or just an everyday pain/sensation we felt, and it’s not serious. We just have to trust that little voice.
I sometimes can’t and I start to really believe I’m living with a killer ailment. And also what helps is keeping busy. Distracting those thoughts.

Thank you everyone. I thought i was going mad as i am convinced i am ill but there is a thought that it is just the anxiety. I am working on it just trying to understand the condition (health anxiety). It does seem to go in circles. Todays fear is forgotten once something new comes along. Thanks once again

Worrywart1234
22-05-19, 12:23
I just came back to this forum after months away for this very thing. For me, I think maybe stress triggers it. I’ve been going through some financial struggles the last few weeks and it’s amazing how I start to worry about my health along with the other worries. I’m starting to notice that when i’m not stressed, I don’t worry about my health, but as soon as i’m stressed I start to think there’s something really wrong with me. My psychologist said that people with HA are like a truck running on 3 cylinders, when things are going well you would never know the truck was running on 3, but if that truck went up a steep road it would be noticeable straight away...just like how the HA (for me anyway) is more noticeable at times of stress. I find it helps to calm my worries to remind myself of it.