PDA

View Full Version : Paronychia and petrified

jalapeno1234
30-04-19, 19:39
As if emetophobia, a tiresome weekend, stress and my period isnt enough!
I have seemingly developed my usual little flare up of paronychia (the sore red stuff which happens to your nails on the side or on the beds) but this time its really hit me hard on my RIGHT THUMB. I think its cos Ive been using it lots and I got barely any sleep as it was my birthday and I spent 3 days celebrating at restaurants, bars and my flat. I feel good for the most part but had a minor anxiety attack this afternoon as the doctor saw it and said "Not too concerning but Im giving you antibiotics". Not bad UNTIL I find out that most people feel their stomachs turn (I have emetophobia) and the fact that I cant swallow tablets meant that I had to have the liquid form prescribed so Id probably feel something.

I was given some magnesium sulfate one day previous by a chemist who said it would bring the infection from within but my thumb is still swollen.

Im panicking that its gonna get to the point where its fatal and the alternative will have my emetophobia kick off during exam time.
Please can someone reassure me or offer some words...

Fishmanpa
30-04-19, 19:51
Please can someone reassure me or offer some words...

Here ya go :)

https://media.giphy.com/media/45Lg3ECIw25Fe/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

jalapeno1234
30-04-19, 19:55
^^^^^^ haha cute. Im trying to listen to calming music but I might just try the medicine as Im reading horror stories online

BlueIris
30-04-19, 19:56
FMP, that gif is lovely and made me melt inside.

Jalapeno, try not to worry too much? (I know it's tough). I've only ever vomited once after taking antibiotics, and that was because I ignored direct instructions and took them on an empty stomach.

jalapeno1234
30-04-19, 20:06
OK so slight improvement for the first time in days - The magnesium is apparantly working well; for the first time Im seeing tiny parts of yellow pus - but onllly very tiny amounts. Do I apply more ? its only been an hour since I put some on

Fishmanpa
30-04-19, 22:06
Im reading horror stories online

Why? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Js2019
01-05-19, 00:48
If you have a fear of vomiting, Vitamin B6 (commonly taken during pregnancy) is great for reducing nausea
- hope all is well

jalapeno1234
01-05-19, 16:14
So...I still didnt take the antibiotics yet but the swelling has gone down and just the very sore cut where I opened up the blisters is very evident - seeing more pus come out but hardly any pain - do I leave it another day or just take them?
Thanks for kind words - I have peppermint at home which does help my anxiety nausea

BlueIris
01-05-19, 16:20
If the swelling's going down, I might try to just keep it clean and be careful with it, to be honest.

jalapeno1234
01-05-19, 18:23
Thanks blue iris - I'm back to square one though, came home to soak it in more salt and it got super red and a bit swollen again, the colour is scaring me too, from some angles it looks blue but when I look carefully its just super red. ughhhh.

BlueIris
01-05-19, 18:52
Poor thing. Both my other half and I had really nasty abscesses this year, his on his arm, mine on my back. I'm always very glad I never had to look at mine.

jalapeno1234
02-05-19, 23:54
Guys - sorry I'm posting again this week, I appreciate all the lovely feedback regarding my case of paronychia. Well - I caved, my finger was big and swollen on Monday so after little improvement I went to the docs who prescribed me flucloxacillin. I imagine its a powerful tool. However, my emetophobia has returned quite harshly this week after a stressful exam time and an arguement and basically Ive been struggling to eat as stress has made me feel a little nauseated. SO. I was a coward and didnt take my antibiotics (I cant take them after the 5th anyway so had a day or two to see if my thumb healed). The swelling has gone but it seems there is still a small infection which is still very very mildly throwing up puss when I salt-cleanse it. Today at 4PM after my bro very calmly said "do what you want but if I were you Id take them and see how ya feel! only 1 in 10 people feel a bit rough - your chances are slim!" but 4 hours after taking a small dose I began feeling a bit weird .. Id had a few fries an hour after taking them and some chocolate as i was starving...I didnt exactly feel sick but my stomach felt odd and immediately I went into a small anxiety attack :/ it got me worried as I obviously have to keep taking them. I went for a walk with a friend and the feeling eased and now Im weirdly hungry. So what do I do? Im petrified that it has already affected my stomach and I need to take much higher doses.
My thumb is definitely better but the huge sore is very very pink and inflamed. ugh

nomorepanic
03-05-19, 00:01
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.