PDA

View Full Version : is it reassurance seeking to see a GP?

Limeslime
01-05-19, 19:23
Is it classed as “reassurance seeking” if we go to see a GP about symptoms that worry us?

Is it better to fight them out?

I’ve been to my GP on average about once a month for the past year, usually about breast issues. They’ve always reassured me and sent me away.
But now I’ve noticed a long vertical “line” running down my breast when I lift my arm. It might just be stretched skin due to ageing and getting saggy, or it might be the notorious “skin changes” that breast cancer campaigns tell us to check for.

My anxiety is holding onto this symptom and making me feel really low.

Ive made a GP appointment for tomorrow afternoon but I’m so embarrassed to go again! I only had my boobs checked by my GP 2 months ago!

I Just don’t know whether or not to go to this appointment!

Carys
01-05-19, 19:34
If they looked 2 months ago, did a manual exam and you have had that multiple times, then no you don't need to go - absolutely not!. A vertical line that runs downwards when you lift your arms isn't one of those 'skin changes' they talk of :winks: (thats saggy baggy age skin stuff, sorry :roflmao:)

Beachlady
01-05-19, 19:49
Is it classed as “reassurance seeking” if we go to see a GP about symptoms that worry us?

I’ve been to my GP on average about once a month for the past year, usually about breast issues. They’ve always reassured me and sent me away.
But now I’ve noticed a long vertical “line” running down my breast when I lift my arm. It might just be stretched skin due to ageing and getting saggy, or it might be the notorious “skin changes” that breast cancer campaigns tell us to check for.

Ive made a GP appointment for tomorrow afternoon but I’m so embarrassed to go again! I only had my boobs checked by my GP 2 months ago!

You’ve been going once a month for a year with the same concern, and have gone as recently as two months ago. In this case, going to your GP is feeding the dragon. You’re breasts are fine--and the skin changes discussed in cases of breast cancer is NOT what you think you’re seeing.

utrocket09
01-05-19, 20:46

Once a month for the same issues? Surprised your doctor did not turn you away. Most people go about once a year.

Limeslime
01-05-19, 21:10
Thanks for your replies!

Just to clarify, each time I go with a breast issue, it’s something different. Different “lumps” or “dimples”. I’m not going with the exact same issue repeatedly. But I know it’s embarrassing 😩

Also, I shouldn’t have said monthly. My GP visits average every 6 weeks, but not all of them have been about my breasts. Maybe about half of my GP visits were about boob related stuff.

But because I am soooo breast aware, I know this line is new!

My logic and my fears are fighting itbout in my head! I don’t want to feed the dragon but how else can I get closure without seeing my GP?

utrocket09
01-05-19, 21:16
Thanks for your replies!

Just to clarify, each time I go with a breast issue, it’s something different. Different “lumps” or “dimples”. I’m not going with the exact same issue repeatedly. But I know it’s embarrassing 😩

Also, I shouldn’t have said monthly. My GP visits average every 6 weeks, but not all of them have been about my breasts. Maybe about half of my GP visits were about boob related stuff.

My logic and my fears are fighting itbout in my head! I don’t want to feed the dragon but how else can I get closure without seeing my GP?

Still every 6 weeks is excessive. Most people go 1x-2x a year unless told to come back.

Limeslime
01-05-19, 21:21
Still every 6 weeks is excessive. Most people go 1x-2x a year unless told to come back.

Even people with health anxiety?

Limeslime
01-05-19, 21:36
Honestly, is this just my anxious brain over thinking things and this is actually normal aging/sagging stuff? (I’m 35yrs) Or does this look like something that needs checked out?
I’m not asking for medical advice here. Just for opinions about whether my eyes are playing tricks on me!

Carys
01-05-19, 21:57
Rightho, this line (Yes, I see a line, although I was having difficulty working the image out - which way up it was, were your arms up or down etc?) - lets look at some other possible reasons that are not related to breast cancer:- Does your bra have a heavy seam? Have you put some weight on and your bra no longer fits? Have you been wearing something over the top of your bra which has pressed a seam into you? You see, I get lines like that a lot (which look like the kind of lines you get from socks on your ankles) when I'm retaining water before my period and something has pressed for a long time.

OK, some questions (from a non medical person lol) -
Do you have pain or a 'cord like' tight thing you can feel under that line ? Is there a redness to the line and it hurts when pressing? Lift your breast up, whilst standing, and see if there are some
cord like' structures standing up from the skin right underneath where the bra band would sit......
The reason I ask these is that there are BENIGN conditions, one of which is damage (from trauma) to the cords that run up the side of the trunk, into the breast and cause a tight pulling line. Sometimes blood vessels can also be temporarily jarred also (superficial thrombophelitis) in the breast and this can cause a line to appear. Even ill-fitting bras, the weight of large boobs or any other trauma can set this off. (Incidentally, this I don't know from googling, I've had both lol)

Limeslime
01-05-19, 22:09
Rightho, this line (Yes, I see a line, although I was having difficulty working the image out - which way up it was, were your arms up or down etc?) - lets look at some other possible reasons that are not related to breast cancer:- Does your bra have a heavy seam? Have you put some weight on and your bra no longer fits? Have you been wearing something over the top of your bra which has pressed a seam into you? You see, I get lines like that a lot (which look like the kind of lines you get from socks on your ankles) when I'm retaining water before my period and something has pressed for a long time.

Do you have pain or a 'cord like' tight thing you can feel under that line ? Is there a redness to the line and it hurts when pressing?

Thank you Carys, I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately ive tested every bra seam possibility and this isn’t related to my bra. I’ve tried going bra-less for a day, wearing seamless bras etc but this line is always there!

In the pic, my arm is raised above my head...that’s the only way the line is visible and I have to be in the right light and angle to be able to see it. Most times it is very difficult to see!

No redness, no pain, no cord, no lump. Just normal breast tissue underneath

Carys
01-05-19, 22:17
The reason I ask these is that there are BENIGN conditions, one of which is damage (from trauma) to the cords that run up the side of the trunk, into the breast and cause a tight pulling line. Sometimes blood vessels can also be temporarily jarred also (superficial thrombophelitis) in the breast and this can cause a line to appear. Even ill-fitting bras, the weight of large boobs or any other trauma can set this off. (Incidentally, this I don't know from googling, I've had both lol)

Lift your breast up, whilst standing, and see if there are some
cord like' structures standing up from the skin right underneath where the bra band would sit......

Sorry, don't think you saw this bit as we posted at the same time...as I edited my post above lol

Carys
01-05-19, 22:41
Look, if its barely visible, and you have to hunt for it - there is no redness, no pain, nothing other than normal breast tissue underneath when you check (a proper check, lying on your back using flats of fingers)- then I honestly think you should just monitor and bide your time on it. It is possible its always been there, well for years, but you've only just noticed when you get the right light and angle and position. Seeing as you were only just checked 2 months ago, then why not give it longer and see if it changes in any way ? Now that you've noticed it you have a 'baseline' and changes in weight, particularly weight loss, and so on can certainly make a difference to how tissue - err - hangs, as you age. LOL Use your baseline to judge in a few weeks ?

Edited to add - cleaning my teeth (after answering your post), with the light from the side and my arm behind my head - I too can find an angle where there appears to be a line. I'm NOT just saying this to make you feel better, its definitely there and in almost the same place as you. Its as if the extra weight round the nipple area, means the outside of the breast skin is pulling harder!!!

nomorepanic
01-05-19, 22:57
We really don't like pics like this being posted on here so I am going to remove the link.

Beachlady
02-05-19, 00:34
Thanks for your replies!

Just to clarify, each time I go with a breast issue, it’s something different. Different “lumps” or “dimples”. I’m not going with the exact same issue repeatedly. But I know it’s embarrassing 

Answer your own question: How else can you get closure instead of going to your doctor for unneeded checkups every month or so?

MyNameIsTerry
02-05-19, 02:20
How else do you get closure without seeing your GP? You learn to live with uncertainty and not always being in control. You learn to change how you see things, how you react to your thoughts.

Human bodies aren't perfect and get bumps, lumps, imperfections (although I'm told ladies don't get such things :winks:), redness, swelling, etc and it's a common part of life. It's only when something doesn't see normal that it's time to get medical advice so you will need to normalise yourself to restore your behaviours back within the range of what it is all people do and to learn not to attach meaning to all your thoughts.

Limeslime
02-05-19, 07:26
You’re all amazing! Thank you so much for all of the advice!
I’m gonna cancel my appointment (eek) and check on this line again in a few weeks.
I’ll try to learn to live with uncertainty and keep trying to put this dragon back in his cave.
I feel a little bit empowered, but a little bit worried! But I’m gonna try!!!

BlueIris
02-05-19, 08:47
Aw, Limeslime, that's brilliant! I know how tough it is, but unfortunately it's the only way to silence the dragon. I had a bit of a lapse myself yesterday - started self-checking and fell down the Google hole for a while - but it's important to break the cycle in order to convince yourself that these things really aren't important.

You've got this :)

Limeslime
02-05-19, 09:33
Thanks BlueIris!
It is sooooo hard to try to turn a blind eye isn’t it! I have a sinking feeling in my stomach and I feel like I’m ignoring a red flag symptom!
I may like this for a very, very long time as I don’t know how long it will be there, unchanged (hopefully) before I’ll feel reassured!
Ive lost a little bit of weight lately (only 8lbs) and hope to lose a lot more so my boobage is probably gonna change a lot in the coming months and no doubt trigger lots of anxiety.
Urgh.

BlueIris
02-05-19, 09:36
It's incredibly hard once something gets under your skin, yes.
My boobs are horrible; they're the only part of my body where I get acne so I'm used to weird marks, unfortunately.

Carys
02-05-19, 10:18
I feel like I’m ignoring a red flag symptom!

I know it feels that way, but honestly thats no 'red flag' showing there. :D I'm really glad you've cancelled the appointment, and interesting about having lost 8 lbs - the breast is full of fatty bits and bobs (medical talk lol) and as I said earlier loss of weight will make a difference to the hang of things lol

Limeslime
02-05-19, 10:22
Thank you Carys! You’ve reassured me so much!

Beachlady
02-05-19, 15:51
You’re all amazing! Thank you so much for all of the advice!
I’m gonna cancel my appointment (eek) and check on this line again in a few weeks.
I’ll try to learn to live with uncertainty and keep trying to put this dragon back in his cave.
I feel a little bit empowered, but a little bit worried! But I’m gonna try!!!

:yesyes::yesyes:

Limeslime
04-05-19, 12:04
Really struggling with this.
I can’t stop looking in the mirror at the “line”. Trying to normalise it - even though I can only see it in very specific lighting.
But NHS choices (the only site I’ll use for researching symptoms) says to get any breast changes checked immediately and not to wait)
I’m feeling so low. I want to fight this out, I really do. But I’m really struggling today!
Please someone talk some sense into me before I lose my mind (again)

Fishmanpa
04-05-19, 13:04
You've had some amazing reassurance on this thread and it hasn't helped. As much as I'm not for paid reassurance, I don't see you coming out of this rabbit hole (or any other for that matter) unless you see your doctor :shrug: Getting real life help would be highly advisable.

Positive thoughts

Limeslime
04-05-19, 13:58
Thanks Fishmanpa.
I live in the UK so I’m fortunate enough that GP visits are free.
However, I do want to fight this out, I just need some tips about how! How to turn a blind eye. How to stop looking. How to stop worrying.
Real life help isn’t easy here. The mental health service is on its knees. My 15yo daughter self harms, has social anxiety and has an eating disorder and she is STILL on a ‘waiting list’ for professional help! (It’s been 5 months)
For people like me, they just throw medication at us! I weaned off it in February though and I really don’t want to go back!
I’ve tried books and websites though, and they DO help, albeit temporarily. I am much better now than I was a year ago though!
I’ve started running too, which also helps.
I’m just feeling in a bit of a hole right now.

Fishmanpa
04-05-19, 14:25
I just need some tips about how! How to turn a blind eye. How to stop looking. How to stop worrying.

Download the FREE CBT (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?211324-9-FREE-CBT-ebooks-for-Health-Anxiety) course.

Positive thoughts

Limeslime
04-05-19, 14:33
Thank you. I’ll make myself a cuppa now and read through it!