PDA

View Full Version : Worried About Sensory Loss

TikPandora
02-05-19, 06:36
Well, this has been a terrible week...for quite a number of reasons.

First it started out with me finding out that I have to have quite a lot of dental work done. Cavities, probably an extraction and maybe even a root canal. Or course I was worried about this, but it's super easy for me to calm those specific fears as my teeth are something I can see...something that I can personally examine without much effort. I'm not excited about the financial aspect of getting everything fixed, but that's not what this thread is about.

I think the teeth were a gateway worry for bigger, even nastier anxieties. While I was at work, I realized that one of my eyes has an easier time sharply focusing in on things like the text on my phone, alongside some new eye floaters that popped up in the last few months. Immediately I snapped into full panic mode thinking that I was going blind or that my diabetes had finally caught up with my most precious sense.

Then I started immediately worrying about my hearing. Just like my vision I've never had any problems with it before. One ear seems slightly muffled in comparison to the other and this makes me worry about losing both my hearing and my vision. Even though they may seem like small complaints, my mind immediately assumes the worst.

I even worried that all of these things could be symptoms of a brain tumor but I don't want to go into the details on that...as this thread is more about eyes and ears and less about my old demons.

I've pretty much fully convinced myself that I'm going both blind and deaf, and I don't know what to do. I am making an appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow (especially since I need to get looked over anyway with me being a Type II diabetic.) What should I do? These worries have made life terrible these past few days. Work is almost impossible as well. I'd really like some opinions on what to do next so I can get out of this depressing funk.

Midnight-mouse
02-05-19, 08:16
It very much sounds like you’re hyper-focusing. The body is not symmetrical and our hearing and eyesight does vary from side to side, that’s why our brain uses the information from both sides to create a clearer sense of what’s going on.

As for the diabetes, how long have you had it and are your sugars well controlled? Do you go for regular (yearly or so) check ups with doctors to check on things? - all of my mums side of the family are diabetic so I have been dealing with it all my life.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TikPandora
02-05-19, 15:28
Thank you for the positive vibes, Mouse.

I'm almost 26 currently and was diagnosed as Type II in August of 2017, so we're at about a bit over a year and a half. I didn't really start being that good about sugar control and taking my all of my medicines when I was supposed to until recently as the good old "I'm young and invulnerable!" complex bit me hard, but recently I've been taking everything much more seriously and have been trying to live and eat healthier.

Midnight-mouse
02-05-19, 16:14
Thank you for the positive vibes, Mouse.

I'm almost 26 currently and was diagnosed as Type II in August of 2017, so we're at about a bit over a year and a half. I didn't really start being that good about sugar control and taking my all of my medicines when I was supposed to until recently as the good old "I'm young and invulnerable!" complex bit me hard, but recently I've been taking everything much more seriously and have been trying to live and eat healthier.

Keeping your sugars tight and controlled really does help keep the nasty effects at bay. Plus you’ve not actually been diabetic for all that long there is good chance to really take care of yourself now.

TikPandora
02-05-19, 17:41
That's exactly what I plan to do, to do a much better job taking care of myself from here on out.

I still find it hard to actually function though, I've noticed I've been avoiding doing anything that involves me having to see or hear, and have been closing one of my eyes most of the time to keep the anxiety at bay.

Midnight-mouse
02-05-19, 18:00
The effects on sight aren’t things that happen quickly. My mums been diabetic for going on 30 years on insulin for at least 20 of them and only just had a bleed in her eye a couple of years ago that’s now resolved itself now her sugars have been better controlled with a new diet.

Get yourself checked out as it’s always good to as a diabetic but good care will go a long way in the future.

Mouse.