PDA

View Full Version : Meningitis worry

helenhoo
02-05-19, 22:48
I've just read about a friend's daughter who died of meningitis aged 17. I had my jabs in high school and I'm 29 but I'm now worried!

nomorepanic
02-05-19, 23:05
Why are you worried?

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-19, 02:12
Sorry to hear about your friend's daughter, Reb. :hugs::flowers:

It's bound to be a shock and with your anxiety it is also bound to try to find a way to make it current as that's just part of how it works to keep itself alive. This is why you need to work on how you judge your thoughts.

venusbluejeans
03-05-19, 10:54
Just to say, my comments which Nic has deleted above were in no way meant to trivialise the situation..... however I do stand by the comments, even though they may not quite have been worded how they should.

They were meant to point out that although this has happened. It does not mean that it will happen to you, which is what you are clearly worried about as you added about your jabs.

I am sorry to hear about your friends daughter but just want to add a few things...

My old school friends son had meningitis at the age of 7 days.... and then he had it again when he was 2 (talk about bad luck) BUT he started primary school this last year, he has to have help with a few things and has seizures (he has been seizure free with medication for roughly 6 months now)

Meningitis is not always fatal and just because someone you know gets it does not mean that others will.... it does not work that way.

When I was at school there was never a thing as a jab against meningitis... I have not had meningitis.... meningitis has no rhyme or reason, it just happens... you are very unlucky if you happen to catch meningitis.

Carys
03-05-19, 13:08
The vaccine didn't exist when I was a teenager either and YOU have had the vaccine that protects against 4 strains of it - so why worried? I also wanted to add - I think if your friend has lost her 17 year old daughter that I hope (and yes of course given the fact that you have HA which is triggered even without a trigger, so you will focus in on something life-threatening possibly affecting you) that supporting your friend and showing empathy for her situation should be the first course of action. The loss of a child for your friend must be overwhelming and she/he must be distraught, so you need to put your feelings to one side for a while.

SnowyGreen
04-05-19, 10:23
'

Carys
08-05-19, 17:08
Update this one Helen ?