PDA

View Full Version : Poorly kitten

BlueIris
04-05-19, 07:35
My lovely Dewey has been unwell for a day or so, and it's become obvious that it's quite serious - he's lost most of the use of his back legs.

He isn't even two years old, and he's the gentlest cat I ever knew. So afraid he won't be coming back from the vet today.

pulisa
04-05-19, 08:20
I'm so sorry, BlueIris. This must be really alarming and worrying for you. Is Dewey actually hospitalised at the moment or will you be taking him to the vet this morning?

It's so horrible when we watch our beloved pets suffering..I hope that the vet can accurately diagnose and treat whatever is affecting Dewey and please let us know how you both get on? xxxx

BlueIris
04-05-19, 08:30
We're getting him to the vet as soon as it opens at noon. I can't even bribe him to eat tuna any more.

Am I awful for asking Pete to take him? Normally we share vet visits but I've had such a stressful week.

pulisa
04-05-19, 08:44
Get Pete to take him. You aren't being awful at all. Just so long as Dewey gets seen and assessed/

I know you fear the worst but it could be a horrible virus which has affected him neurologically but can be treated succesfully. Not knowing is so distressing though.

Am keeping everything crossed for Dewey xxx

Carys
04-05-19, 08:47
Oh Dewey, poor poor little thing and so sorry for you BLueI. My Mum's dog had something like this and it was some dog type of menengitis thing, which she was sucessfully treated for. Not saying its the same for Dewey, but it could be that even something that looks serious is sortable - I truly hope it is for your sake. If you have insurance and aren't happy with enough advice and treatment ask referral today ?!

BlueIris
04-05-19, 08:56
We're not insured, Carys, but we have savings. We can't afford thousands, but we live in a very poor area and our lovely vet is usually very reasonable.

Midnight-mouse
04-05-19, 09:23
I’m so sorry Dewy isn’t well! He’s such a sweetheart!

We’ve just been through having Leo hospitalised with a HUGE fever, something in the air :(

I’ll be thinking of you and your little one Blue, I’m only a message away all day if you want to chat.

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnation
04-05-19, 09:37
So sorry to hear this BlueIris :hugs:
As a cat owner and former animal rescuer, I know how upsetting this is. x

BlueIris
04-05-19, 09:41
Thanks for the good wishes, all.

Carnation, I'm a wreck, I only slept about 2 hours last night and I'm shaking like a leaf.

Carys
04-05-19, 10:06
Oh BlueI, god what an awful feeling for you, I'm so sorry - do let us know how you and Dewey get on. :weep:

BlueIris
04-05-19, 10:12
Will do. The vet opens in a couple of hours.

Dewey can still walk, a little, and he's responding to fuss, at least.

Unfortunately I have this really stupid magical thinking thing going on where it feels like my fault because I received some news I'd been hoping for yesterday. I know it's ridiculous, completely, but that doesn't help.

KK77
04-05-19, 11:40
Wish you and Dewey all the best. Awful when we see our pets suffer but I'm sure whatever it is can be treated successfully given his young age.

None of this is your fault, Iris.

Carnation
04-05-19, 11:43
I'd be the same BlueIris. :hugs:
We only rescued a kitten a few weeks ago and that cut me up and it's not even ours.
Guilt is a natural thought in circumstances like this. But what have you got to feel guilty about, caring and loving?
Have an easy day today. Do something that will occupy your mind, but nothing that takes too much concentration like watching a film. x

BlueIris
04-05-19, 11:52
Pete's taken him to the vet now; Dewey was with it enough to have a bit of a grumble about it.

Pete reckons he'll be fine, so I've decided to take that as my starting point because I only slept 2 hours last night and am currently not my most sensible self.

Carnation, I managed to pick up the re-release of my favourite video game earlier in the week, so I'm planning to spend the long weekend on the sofa playing and sleeping as necessary.

BlueIris
04-05-19, 12:34
Vet thinks a car got him. She's given him anti inflammatories but if he's not picking up by Tuesday we'll have to take him to be euthanised.

I feel so utterly, wretchedly guilty.

Carys
04-05-19, 12:57
Oh god, oh no, thats just terrible, Awful. I'm SO sorry to hear this, lost my own cat two years ago on the road. Can't they xray, put him under GA and do some and see whats going on ? Don't give up on him Blue.....surely there is more they can find out...

BlueIris
04-05-19, 13:00
I don't have £650 for X-rays, Carys. I know it's awful and I hate myself for not getting him insured.

Carys
04-05-19, 13:17
650 !? OMG. I'm not surprised you haven't got that, and unbelievable price considering someone like the dentist does them for like 35 £ !!!. I'm sorry, I really am, I didn't realise they cost so much , my brain didn't think before suggesting that. Don't feel bad about the insurance, not all my pets are insured - one dog is and the other isn't as the cost became too high and she is really old now. Would there be anyone like the PDSA who could help ? DO NOT feel hate towards yourself, we've all been there and not had insurance for things (I once lost us 2,000 from a cancelled holiday as no insurance!!!). Just trying to think of a way forward that is possible....

BlueIris
04-05-19, 13:22
Unfortunately, we're not poor enough for the PDSA, either. They need you to be on benefits, and I'm just above that threshold.

pulisa
04-05-19, 13:26
If you have a local Cats Protection group they could help you out but £650 for x rays is outrageous. I wouldn't be happy with the diagnosis either.

A basic spinal xray should give a definitive diagnosis but I'm shocked that the vet has quoted that price. I'm in the South East and wouldn't be charged that price. Is there any way you could get Dewey to a PDSA vet? xx

pulisa
04-05-19, 13:27
Try Cats Protection, Iris?

Carnation
04-05-19, 13:28
Don't give up hope BlueIris, one of my cats got hit by a car and suffered a fractured pelvis. He pulled through with rest and tlc.
Try to keep positive and I'm praying for a good result for you. x

Carnation
04-05-19, 13:35
PDSA and cats protection is definitely a better choice.
The fact that she's moving a bit tells me it could be a fracture and a good possibility of recovering, especially if young. I would give her a good chance at home where she is loved and can get tlc either way. If she's eating and responsive, she has a very good chance of recovering.
Sorry I'm not favourable of the general high street vet, its all about money and convenience. x :hugs:

Carys
04-05-19, 13:36
I agree with Pulisa, I've never heard of that type of price given to some simple pet xrays - it is absolutely outrageous. I have just checked some basic prices online of average costs for GA and xrays and it ranges from 160 - 210 ish pounds. Try the cats protection as P suggested, ring them today and see if there is any support they can offer.

The fact that she's moving a bit tells me it could be a fracture and a good possibility of recovering, especially if young. I would give her a good chance at home where she is loved and can get tlc either way. If she's eating and responsive, she has a very good chance of recovering.

Yep!

BlueIris
04-05-19, 13:42
Thanks both, he's hopping around and washing himself; not eating yet but he's been licking my fingers, at least.

pulisa
04-05-19, 13:46
That's all very positive. It could be very bad bruising and the anti inflamms will help. If he's grooming himself that's a very good sign xx

Carys
04-05-19, 13:53
He's fighting Blue! Very positive.

BlueIris
04-05-19, 14:00
I've been speaking to various cat rescue people I know, and hopefully I'll be able to get some tips on getting him to eat. If he was in distress it'd be different, but I don't want to be too hasty to euthanise.

pulisa
04-05-19, 14:03
Strong smelling foods ie sardines or pilchards? Warm the food up to make it more appetising?

Carnation
04-05-19, 14:10
Yes, fish is good.
There will also be a shock element to her too which would explain the rejection of food at the moment. Sleep and rest is the best for kitty.
No, I wouldn't be too hasty at this stage.
She sounds a little fighter BlueIris. x

Darksky
04-05-19, 14:28
Hey, one of my cats was hit by a car. He had nerve damage in his front leg. We thought he would have to lose it but with the agreement of the vets we nursed him for 6 weeks. The bulk of that time it looked hopeless but at around the four week mark we were massaging his paw when he pulled it back. Then I scraped my nail over his pad and he pulled away again. We knew then the feeling was coming back and the nerve was mending. If it's nerve damage it can take weeks to heal.
my friends cat also was hit by a car, broke his pelvis and hips. You should see the little devil now, running about naughty as ever. So don't give up.

but aren't vets expensive now. I've had recent experience of account clearing vets bills myself :lac:

good luck Dewey, we are all rooting for you:hugs:

Darksky
04-05-19, 14:31
Forgot to say....does he like Dreamies? Cats seem to be addicted to them.

BlueIris
04-05-19, 14:40
Dreamies haven't worked for him yet, nor has tuna or thinly sliced frankfurters. I know he's particularly terrified of the vet, though, so stress may be a factor.

Carys
04-05-19, 14:46
but I don't want to be too hasty to euthanise.

100 percent agree, sometimes people give up far too easily on these matters IMO. If you have the time and motivation to nurse him then...go with it. Is he drinking - can you buy some of that cat milk stuff (don't know what its like though, is it any good ?) It says on some sites that you can warm some food up, like warmed salmon or tuna? Has he been actually going to the toilet ?

BlueIris
04-05-19, 14:56
I'll try warm tuna once he's less groggy. He just lifted a back leg to wash underneath it, though, so I'm starting to feel hopeful.

Carys
04-05-19, 15:09
well, yeah, that sounds VERY hopeful! Have they given you some anti inflammatories to give over the enxt few days ?

Carnation
04-05-19, 15:12
Get some cod roe, most cats love it.
Not the stuff from the chippy, but from the supermarket, then boil it. x

BlueIris
04-05-19, 15:20
Got him to eat a bit of frankfurter, and he just stood properly for a couple of seconds!

Carys
04-05-19, 15:23
Sounds like the jab is working, have they given you more for the next few days ?

BlueIris
04-05-19, 15:58
He's got anti inflammatory drops to start tomorrow.

Darksky
04-05-19, 17:39
All sounds very hopeful Iris.
what about those yogurt strip things that webbox do for cats. He could lap those instead of having to chew.

make sure he's drinking, that's initially more important than food. If you don't think he's drinking, you can syringe water carefully and slowly into the side of his mouth, bit at a time. One of those syringes that come with wormers or suchlike. Or the vets could give you one. Keep him warm and hydrated but the fact he can put weight on his legs is a good sign.

BlueIris
04-05-19, 17:43
Great advice, Darksky. Once he's awake again we'll make sure he gets some fluids.

Carys
04-05-19, 18:23
Yeah, that was worrying me too, and asked that a while back - worried about fluid intake. Is he drinking himself, if you put a bowl by him BlueI ?

BlueIris
04-05-19, 19:01
Pete says he was drinking unaided yesterday, so we're making sure he has water close by.

Carys
04-05-19, 19:21
Cool !!!

BlueIris
04-05-19, 19:30
I just set him down some water laced with tuna juice, and he was very interested.

jojo2316
05-05-19, 00:10
Oh Blueiris- I only just saw this whole thread and I am SO SORRY. Poor sweet little Dewey. My thoughts are with you and Pete and him. I hope he picks up soon. Please please keep us posted
xxx

MyNameIsTerry
05-05-19, 02:11
So sorry to hear about poor Dewey, Iris :hugs::flowers: Please don't blame yourself, accidents happen and you are doing all you can to nurse him back to health.

Since his jab it sounds like he is perking up since he's trying to eat, drink and even lifting a leg that would be painful. I've found this with my dog when he was ill last year, getting some painkiller/anitinflammatory mix into him eased things off and he started perking up even though he was in constant eye pain with a nasty ulcer.

The liquid dreamies are a good idea. Less effort involved and may get him trying.

I once found a cat lying in the middle of the road that had been run over. This cat couldn't put weight on his back legs. We got him straight around our vets, as they run an emergency service and this was in the evening, and when we called back a couple of days later not only had his owner been traced but he was well on the mend. I'm telling this because if this cat could get better when he couldn't do anything but yours has some movement then I'm hoping that only gives more hope he will fully recover.

BlueIris
05-05-19, 04:56
Thanks, all. He's still not using his back paws properly, but when he decided he was hungry last night he made his way halfway across the apartment to his usual food bowl location.

Plus, I stroked his back paws this morning and the toes of one paw curled.

We've got a long few days ahead of us, but it's great to see him still getting enthusiastic about things.

Carnation
05-05-19, 09:34
It sounds very encouraging BlueIris :)

BlueIris
05-05-19, 10:03
Pretty sure he's out of the woods after I saw him jump two feet onto a box this morning.

Carnation
05-05-19, 10:20
:yesyes: yeah!!!! x

BlueIris
05-05-19, 10:24
If he was in pain or completely paralyzed it would be different, but he's making it clear his quality of life isn't compromised by dragging a leg.

Carnation
05-05-19, 10:38
A cat has amazing healing properties and can withstand a lot of pain. Their survival extinct is amazing! x

Carys
05-05-19, 10:47
Pretty sure he's out of the woods after I saw him jump two feet onto a box this morning.

:roflmao:FAb !!!!! I'm so pleased for you, the relief must be tremendous right now. Keep him warm, and try not to let him overdo activity (I know - hes a cat, he does what he wants lol).

BlueIris
05-05-19, 10:56
Going to do my best to stop him clawing chunks out of the doormat and eating them, yep ;)

Seriously, though, thank you so much to everyone on this thread. Your positivity was such a help; the vet made it sound like it was time to give up but I don't get how she could have thought that when he hadn't had any time to heal.

Carnation
05-05-19, 11:03
And seek out a new vet :winks:

BlueIris
05-05-19, 11:07
Believe me, that's going to be a priority now.

Carys
05-05-19, 11:37
Yep, agreed, sorry but that was to my mind a 'totally give up' attitude to a cat, whose his injury wasn't even known and nothing much had been tried. I would have been dreadfully upset and disappointed in their attitude. Besides, that quote for the xrays was beyond extortinate and it does sound to me, but I may be reading far too deeply between lines here, that the moment you said that the money was too much he jumped to pts!! I mean....grief.....money grabbing in the face of a sick beloved pet seemed to take precedence.

jojo2316
05-05-19, 11:52
Hooray!!!! Go little kitty!!!!

jojo2316
05-05-19, 12:14
Also I agree about the X-ray fees. What sort of X-ray were they planning to do? My brother is a vet and I’m pretty sure he would do a CT scan for that price...

BlueIris
05-05-19, 12:18
Apparently it would have needed to be an exploratory X-ray because the vet had no clue what was going on.

pulisa
05-05-19, 12:49
Aren't all X rays "exploratory"? What a load of shite!

I'm really pleased to hear that Dewey is getting better and yes, definitely ditch that incompetent vet! What a disgraceful consultation-you should ask for a refund!

Carys
05-05-19, 13:21
Aren't all X rays "exploratory"? What a load of shite!

Ahhh Pulisa, this is why I love you. :roflmao:

Darksky
05-05-19, 14:05
Well this has made my day:yesyes:

So glad you didn't listen to that vet and give up on him. Cats are amazing animals and you are an amazing owner.
I've just been looking back on my records for you. When my cat had an X-ray in January it cost me 115 quid.

BlueIris
06-05-19, 07:15
One more quickie update: Dewey's been walking on all four paws this morning - he stumbles occasionally, but he's not been dragging either hindleg at all.

He's still quite tired and can't walk far, but even while I was writing this post he walked right past his favourite cushion and normal resting place so he could lay at my feet for fuss.

Carnation
06-05-19, 09:05
Ahhh :hugs:

Carys
06-05-19, 09:57
That is an astounding change really, in just over a day or two if you think about it ! :yesyes:

BlueIris
06-05-19, 10:50
I think it's amazing, yes - so proud of him!

BlueIris
07-05-19, 08:40
Final update: Dewey was running around this morning, following the older cat and investigating interesting things.

We've given him his last dose of medicine (it took both of us and a bath sheet, and we're yet to do it without at least one of us bleeding), but we've decided a second vet visit probably isn't necessary. Apart from needing to rest a little more, he's completely fine; I don't trust that vet and it's not fair to either him or us to try and get him in his carrier when it traumatises him so badly and there's no real need.

Thanks so much for all the support and advice on the thread; you really gave Pete and I courage and hope over a very difficult weekend. Will post a picture of the culprit later once I'm not on a work machine.

jojo2316
07-05-19, 08:52
Yyayayayayayay!!!!
SUCH wonderful news!! Xxxxx

Elen
07-05-19, 08:53
So pleased to hear that he is doing so much better, cats, especially young ones are real healing machines.

No doubt he will be back getting into trouble in no time.

h

BlueIris
07-05-19, 08:56
Already is, Elen, he was destroying the doormat within 24 hours of the vet having said he was a goner, and every dose of medication we've given him has landed up with one or both of us bleeding :)

Carys
07-05-19, 09:06
Fabulous, such brilliant news. A visit back to the vet is certainly not needed :yesyes:. However, it may be he needs further antiinflammatory/painkiller meds for a bit longer? You could call them up, without a visit and ask if he needs another prescription. I don't do second consultations for queries such as that.

Carys
07-05-19, 09:07
Would LOVE to see a picture of him !!

BlueIris
07-05-19, 09:10
I'll get something posted on my lunchbreak. He's just a moggy, but he has the prettiest eyes.

Carys
07-05-19, 09:25
My daughter read to me a recent tale about someone she knew. Their cat was behaving really really oddly, it wouldn't use its back legs and kept having kind of 'fits'. Thats how they looked to the owners. They checked it over and saw nothing, but were understandably very concerned. It took two of them to tackle the cat into the case as it was so WILD, whereupon one of them was bitten badly and needed to go and get a tetanus jab and dressing. The cat went mental in the vet surgery, clawed the vet and needed immediate sedation. The owners went to wait outside whilst they started the process of checking it, based on the described symptoms - and found - a tiny piece of sellotape stuck flat to the back of the cats leg ROFL ! Sellotape removed, £100 spent and a visit to A and E later, catty was fine.

Not saying there was no issue here, just thought it was a funny story......:roflmao:

BlueIris
07-05-19, 09:28
The story I love is the one of the hamster that went into the corner of its cage, stayed by the bars and refused to move. The owner was terribly worried, and the vet was baffled.

Turned out it had stored a small magnet in one of its cheek pouches. :roflmao:

Darksky
07-05-19, 13:59
Those stories.....:roflmao:

Yes please do post a picture.

KK77
07-05-19, 14:06
The story I love is the one of the hamster that went into the corner of its cage, stayed by the bars and refused to move. The owner was terribly worried, and the vet was baffled.

Turned out it had stored a small magnet in one of its cheek pouches. :roflmao:

Fatal Attraction :ohmy:

BlueIris
07-05-19, 14:13
Oops, almost forgot! Here's Dewey, plus another one of him with our older cat, Sweeney.

https://i.imgur.com/KfvagrN.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/m6eryLW.jpg?1

jojo2316
07-05-19, 15:45
Not JUST a moggy!!!
beautiful boy xxxx

Carys
07-05-19, 17:21
Ooooo Dewey, hes AMAZING so unusual with the ginger tabby and white mix. I think he is Awesome, and I love his little orange moustache!

BlueIris
07-05-19, 17:25
I always think of him as our little red and white feral pigeon.

Elen
07-05-19, 17:34
He is lush

Carnation
07-05-19, 18:02
Beautiful BlueIris. Looks strong and determined! :)

pulisa
07-05-19, 18:13
Oh they are both gorgeously handsome! I love ginger and white moggies! (I tended a stray cat-Kenny-for many years who was ginger and white. He succumbed to hyperthyroidism after 2 failed ops which failed to control the condition).

So pleased that vet was proved wrong!

Darksky
08-05-19, 17:39
Ahhh hello Dewey:wub: All my cats have been moggies, can't beat them. Is Sweeney long haired. I do love a long haired cat, even though you have to spend ages combing the garden out of their coat.:)

BlueIris
08-05-19, 17:50
Sweeney's a longhair, yes - we always joke that Dewey coughs up his hairballs.

Dewey's been very quiet this past couple of days, but can't blame him for needing his rest - we think he was traumatised where we needed to wrap him to get his meds down him.

EmmerLooeez
10-05-19, 22:12
Awwwwwwwww hugs Iris.
I hope he is back to his normal self soon xxx

MyNameIsTerry
13-05-19, 18:19
Glad to hear he's on the mend. :yesyes: Beautiful pics too. I love the facial colouring of your other cat as well, so unusual.

BlueIris
13-05-19, 18:26
Thanks, Terry. He's pretty much back to normal now, just a little tired and wobbly on one leg. More than well enough to bully Sweeney off his favourite chair, though!

Scass
13-05-19, 19:35
Aww I didn’t see this thread at the time, sorry. Glad all is well now x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk