PDA

View Full Version : just started anafranil (clomipramine)

chad
11-09-07, 19:07
hi have just started anafranil 10mg have taken it for a week now with no real side effects.will be going up in dosage overthe next few weeks. i am quite nervous as i have had a hard time on seroxat and prozac and i am worrying about upping the dose of anafranil that it might flip me out so to speak.seroxat seemed to open a door inside my head and flooded my brain with intusive thoughts.Hoping anafranil will help.WOULD LIKE TO HEAR OFF ANYONE USING THIS DRUG. Thanx chad.:ohmy: :)

nomorepanic
11-09-07, 20:09
Hi Chad

Have a search for previous threads or scroll down to the bottom of this page to read others.

They should help.

belle
11-09-07, 21:31
Hi..
I did anafranil 7 years ago and i had a terrible terrible time on it and to be honest that is why i haven't tried any other meds since.
I took the first one and within a couple of hours i had passed out and was feeling horrendously nauseaous. It scared me because i had a 1 year old baby crawling around on the floor while i was out of it.
I carried on taking it for a couple of days, but i couldn't eat and for someone with a history of eating disorders i really couldn't afford to lose any more weight.
It took me about 2 weeks to feel better and i only took them for 4 days!

Its good to see you are doing well on it :)
Not all meds suit every person...

x

Seuria
12-09-07, 03:31
i am on that stuff atm. the only trouble i get is feeling sleepy. also i am constantly hot (cept for my feet which are like ice) aside from that i am fine they REALLY help.

i had a bitch of a time with seroxat and this stuff is helping me.

chad
12-09-07, 10:10
thanx seuria
took one last night and i was fast a sleep by 9:30 , gutted i missed hells kitchen.Woke up this morning sweating not to bad though.What dosage and how long have you been taking it? Also what illness are you treating? Hope you dont mind me asking !When did you start to feel the benefits off it ? Loads of questions i know but it gives me hope when you here someone doing well !
i have tried loads of things the last 3 months but couldnt handle s/o off the ssri s .The nausia and aggitation where to much and i was getting embaressed infront of my daughter. I hope you and i get good results off this med.
regards Chad :) .

chad
12-09-07, 10:16
sorry you had such a hard time on anafranil but im sure you will get better as i have several times .Just takes time so be cool bluebell .
chad:)

Seuria
12-09-07, 22:41
i dont mind you asking, its what we are all here for. sharing information and helping each other
currently on 50mg a day altho i have been on higher. i have been on this for about 3 weeks altho before now i have been on them for over a year.
i get a reaction pretty quick virtually overnight.
but as i say everyone's illness is different so everyone's treatment is different. i am being treated for agoraphobia and depression. also a family from hell but the tabs wont fix them i need to fix my head to deal with that problem.

Tom_M
13-09-07, 04:22
Anafranil is a good antidepressant which as been in use for over 30 years, so most side effects are well documented. The success rate of Anafranil is also very high, with most people recovering from a depression within a period of 6 months. It does however take awhile to be completely effective, so just hang in there until the med take effect.

I was on them for over 6 years at one time, and they helped me until I could sort my mind out, so I didn't have to take any medication.

Tom

chad
13-09-07, 09:28
:) thanks to tom and seuria.
i think ill go to the docters next week and find out about upping my dose.Can i expect more side effects on higher dosage? it actually feels like im not on anything .So that must be a good sign .chad

Seuria
13-09-07, 10:34
i dont think you will get any mroe side effects. oh i also get a nasty taste in my mouth.

chad
13-09-07, 12:31
iv had that too .like metal in your mouth , ithought i was smoking too much. so iv had the dry mouth , horrible taste in mouth and the sleepiness. so so far so good i will defo get my dosage upped next week. will let you know how i get on Seuria.
by the way nice name
Chad :)

Seuria
13-09-07, 12:47
yup thats exactly it. it always reminds me of putting a battery on your tongue.

i hope things stay good for you.

Love
S

p.s quit smoking!!

ladygrom
14-09-07, 10:03
hi chad just wondering how you are getting on with your new meds hope you are feeling better on them tc elaine xx

chad
14-09-07, 10:37
not feeling to good this morning a bit spaced out and anxious.i think its due to me being depressed about my dad in hospital at the moment .having to travel 40 miles a day to visit him.also feel a bit detached at the moment.hope these meds work to help me cope with things!
chad :)

ladygrom
14-09-07, 11:13
sorry about your dad chad i get that spacey feeling and a feeling like im detached from myself and wen i walk its as tho the pavement moving like i been on a fair ground your meds should work and youl start to feel like yourself .you are also going threw a rough patch at the moment aswell meds take time to kick in hope your dads ok and you feeling better soon take care elaine xx

chad
14-09-07, 12:52
CHEERS ELAINE
HOPE YOUR DOING FINE AS WELL.Are you on anafranil too.this is the first med in 3 months that feels like it might just work.FINGERS CROSSED.When does anafranil kick in or is it a case of finding the right dosage ?
Chad :)

ladygrom
14-09-07, 13:11
hi chad you start off on low dose on any meds at first then the doctor ups them gradualy ive been on alsorts chad im on citolopram now .got find the one that suits you but you will get ther i promise. anxiety and the symtons that cum along with it are hard to cope with i had it 13 years ago i some how got threw it but got it again 4 months ago . keep taking your meds give them a chance to work you will start to feel better honestly im living proof you that you do in time recover . if you get unwanted side effects go back to your doctor in a few weeks time and tell him you have got give them time to work. let me no how you gettin on you will get ther honest tc elaine xx

chad
15-09-07, 10:56
hi elaine and seuria
slept like a log last night not feeling any side effects off anafranil but intrusive thoughts still there .Do you get these i was told by the docter they are part of my depression.So i am keeping myself busy by getting daughters school uniform ready for next week. I always have terrible time on weekend as i have to keep my daughter entertained which is hard during the day.Right time to get motivated. keep in touch .
love Chad :)
let me know how you are getting on?

Seuria
15-09-07, 20:16
currently i have good days and bad. i am going out 2morrow and i was doing fine till my uncle asked me if i was up to it.

now i am startign to worry.

Love
S

ladygrom
16-09-07, 03:37
hi chad glad to here you had good nights sleep them thoughts will pass chad its part of depression ive got anxiety and depression its not nice chad /you will start to feel better as time gos on the more sleep you have the better anxious thoughts are made worse wen you dont sleep take care keep me posted to how you are getting on chad . your daughter will keep you busy keep your chin up and think positive you will get ther elaine xxxx

chad
16-09-07, 11:18
to seuria
i know what you mean , like you dont want no fuss but you know you do need to get out so that youcan enjoy coming home.Try it cause when you do go out you start to feel a bit more normal and when the night time comes you can look back on the day and think abut the positives and realise that everyones doing the same. i am terrible in the morning anxious and nervous about going to visit people.Ive been off work for 12 weeks now so i think ive become workaphobic.and dont think i will be rushing back. Just my life sucks at the mo, dad in hospital , split up with girlfriend (she wont let me see my son ) CSA breathing down my neck. All this stress is not going to go away over night. The thing is Seuria to look at me theres not much wrong with me but inside im hurting which makes it hard for me to socailise .So i can relate to the agrophobia.Did the anafranil help you get back to normal when you took it for a year last time ? ANY HOW LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GOT ON WITH YOUR DAY OUT ?
x

chad
16-09-07, 11:48
to elaine
to what iwas like 2 mths ago im a lot better. When i took that seroxat it made me feel suicidal ( horrible word ). So so far on this med i havent had that feeling but im only on a low dose so will be careful when the docter raises the dose. As i have everything to live for i know i will get through this .Once upon atime a had the same illness and had a full remission was four years without meds so i know you can get through it . Its just a load of old negative thoughts and painfull feelings that need sorting out and like you say they need time to be put right.But i am a firm believer in taking the meds as they do eventually work and help you smile about your predicaments.The only thing that worries me is finding the right meds to help as ive allways been able to cope taking seroxat but this time they didnt help so i feel im at a crossroads with my illness and need to find the right path to take. The only thing is you start to obsess about the quickest way to get better and as my friend pointed out you only get better when you stop thinking about it.easier said than done eh !

Natural Mystic
04-11-08, 13:35
I also don't get on with SSRI's, I've tried prozac, seroxat and last night (a night of pure hell, an hour and a half after taking it). All 3 I was so ill after just one pill and won't take more.

I have been advised that I should ask to try clomipramine and I think I'm going to request it. I have read the "common" side effects too and they just don't seem to be as long and as bad as with those I mentioned above.

A health academic I work with suggests that some people just can't take stuff involving seratonin.

Natural Mystic
04-11-08, 13:42
hi elaine and seuria
slept like a log last night not feeling any side effects off anafranil but intrusive thoughts still there .Do you get these i was told by the docter they are part of my depression.So i am keeping myself busy by getting daughters school uniform ready for next week. I always have terrible time on weekend as i have to keep my daughter entertained which is hard during the day.Right time to get motivated. keep in touch .
let me know how you are getting on?
My worst times are at the weekend also hon. During the week I'm busy doing the school run and working full time, my work being a great help, a lifesaver actually (not meant to sound over dramatic).

My worse times, as I said, are at the weekend when it's just me and my son. I always seem to be more anxious and then of course I feel guilty that I'm not being the best I can be for him.

Are you also a single mum

trickyvicky
06-10-09, 23:40
Hi i'm not enjoying the side effects, dry mouth so drink lots of water if you get this and eating chewing gum can help. Sleepy but I understand this wears off. My anxiety got worse before it got better and is still quite high but not as high as it was so I am prepared to stick with it - apparently you need at least 4 weeks on the recommended dose before you can clearly make a decision as to whether it suits you so I've come so far and I'll stick to it until I think yes or no. Good luck, everyone is different at the end of the day so see how you get on when you have got past any side effects. x