PDA

View Full Version : How often do you see doctors?

Limeslime
05-05-19, 10:03
I’m just curious. How often does everyone go to see a GP or a doctor about their symptoms?

Pansy
05-05-19, 11:40
Hi there, my problem is that I can never get an appointment. The list is always full, it's always call tomorrow, I can't even get a telephone appointment. What I would really like is to have a good, thorough conversation about my symptons. A conversation where I am not made to feel like I should hurry up, and that I am some saddo middle aged woman with nothing better to do. The last contact I had with a GP was because I was concerned about the effects of some new medication, and my weight. My concerns were dismissed and I was told a couple of weeks cycling around Scotland should shift a few pounds. So I haven't bothered again.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Do you feel the need to see a Doctor, can you get good access? If you can, please speak to them as often as you need because I think sharing a problem by talking can have a positive effect.

Carys
05-05-19, 11:43
Rarely. I went once last year to see a doctor face to face, but my outter ear and side of face was hugely red and swollen so it was kinda obvious something was wrong lol If I have minor queries about health I see a pharmacist, or something that doesn't require a visit I can do an online telephone consulation form. I did that twice the previous year when had a UTI and spoke to a doc then.

Limeslime
05-05-19, 12:07
What I would really like is to have a good, thorough conversation about my symptons. A conversation where I am not made to feel like I should hurry up, and that I am some saddo middle aged woman with nothing better to do.

So much this!!!!
A bit of education from the doctors would go a long way, rather than “yup, I’m not worried. Off you go”.

A year ago I had a terrible melanoma fear and went to see my GP a few times with moles that worried me. One time, a particular GP sat with me, showed me medical photographs, talked me through red flag symptoms and really took his time to educate me. I never worried about a mole after that!

Limeslime
05-05-19, 12:10
something that doesn't require a visit I can do an online telephone consulation form. I did that twice the previous year when had a UTI and spoke to a doc then.

I’m surprised they can diagnose a UTI with an online consultation. I do love the idea of online consultations though. I’ve only used it once as I’m not sure how much they can help online other than give very general advice.
Like, I wanna say “hey, it’s me again! Back with more boob worries! Rather than take up another appointment can you just look at my appointment history and see that I need reassurance and make me a non-urgent referral to the breast clinic so that I don’t take up anymore valuable appointments with my annoying worries!” Yeah. Won’t happen though!

Carys
05-05-19, 13:04
I’m surprised they can diagnose a UTI with an online consultation. I do love the idea of online consultations though. I’ve only used it once as I’m not sure how much they can help online other than give very general advice.
Like, I wanna say “hey, it’s me again! Back with more boob worries! Rather than take up another appointment can you just look at my appointment history and see that I need reassurance and make me a non-urgent referral to the breast clinic so that I don’t take up anymore valuable appointments with my annoying worries!” Yeah. Won’t happen though!

Well, the online consulation leads to a telephone call every time, and gets very detailed symptoms noted in the boxes you have to enter info into. My surgery loves doing them, as they say they get clearer comments about definite symptoms from the user, in less time, than if they see them face to face lol Interestingly you get get very specific advice, and all sorts of emailed leaflets and booklets too. It is an empowering way of contacting the doctor at my surgery actually, and it asks you at the start what you hope to gain from the consultation.

“hey, it’s me again! Back with more boob worries! Rather than take up another appointment can you just look at my appointment history and see that I need reassurance and make me a non-urgent referral to the breast clinic so that I don’t take up anymore valuable appointments with my annoying worries!” Yeah. Won’t happen though!

Well yeah lol but they can't keep offering breast clinic to people who just have 'annoying personal worries'. LOL

Limeslime
05-05-19, 13:36
Well yeah lol but they can't keep offering breast clinic to people who just have 'annoying personal worries'. LOL

I know that really, which is why I never have/never will ask. But after 16 months of feeling scared, I really wish I could!
(But don’t worry, I won’t. I’m trying my best to not turn to GP for reassurance anymore)

Carys
05-05-19, 13:46
I know, I understand, and I know you are trying hard too. :yesyes:

bin tenn
06-05-19, 03:46
Very rarely. I went to the ER last August for what turned out to be nothing more than a severe panic attack. Other than that, I usually don't run to the doc with symptoms. If I'm sick and not recovering within a week or two, I'll go (which rarely happens). Otherwise, I only go once a year for a physical. If anything has bothered me between that time and my previous visit, I'll just bring it up during my physical.