PDA

View Full Version : Upset stomach for weeks

shotta287
05-05-19, 18:32
Started off with a takeway around 5 weeks ago.
Thought I had a standard upset stomach but it’s been dragging on now.
No actual diahoerra but loose stools but mixed with occasions when I have to strain to let it out.
Appetite has been affected to an extent due to feeling nauseous at times. Also a lot of passing wind but no real bloating.

What could this be? IBS? Or just delayed healing following a stomach bug?

I should add that a family member has Celiac Disease. I was tested negative for it back in 2015 following a similar scare.

sollythegolly
05-05-19, 19:32
And have you considered getting an appointment with your GP to get this problem of yours sorted?

shotta287
05-05-19, 19:51
I will be doing so this week just thought I’d ask on here as is my health anxiety.

sollythegolly
05-05-19, 21:36
Anxiety can play holy havoc with your stomach. It certainly does to mine. It can last for months as well, let alone weeks. It may, however, be something that your GP can put right with a couple of well aimed pills. At least, the GP should be able to ease your mind and so hasten recovery.

I do do hope you feel better soon.

shotta287
05-05-19, 22:17
Thank you for your kind words.

As always with health anxiety, I just hope it is not something sinister.

jalapeno1234
05-05-19, 23:06
Sounds like IBS - I too am in this boat and have made it worse by taking antibiotics which Ive not even dosed on properly haha. Best thing to do is check with your doc, but whilst Im on bland foods Im gonna try and cut out caffeine and sugar

shotta287
07-05-19, 22:35
Went to my doctor today, who also suspected IBS.

Will be having another blood test for celiac.

shotta287
12-05-19, 10:16
After a few days of relatively no issues, I had bad gas and cramping last night.

My anxiety levels are very high. Keep thinking I may have Crohn’s or something similar.

Oh man I hate being a hypochondriac.

shotta287
17-05-19, 13:11
So the blood test I had was invalid as there was a mix up of names by the lab. Unbelievable. Have to do it again which is frustrating.

I’m also concerned by my loss of appetite. I try to eat my meals but I don’t really feel hungry or crave a big meal like I used to. My weight has also dropped slightly around ~1kg.

What doesn’t help is that I read an article this morning on BBC News regarding bowel cancer in young people. Gulp.

shotta287
19-05-19, 19:13
Very anxious about bowel cancer now. I had a pretty normal bowel movement yesterday but today initially I had to strain to let out hard pebble like stools almost. Then after a short while of more straining, the rest of the stools were mushy and soft.

What could this mean?

Midnight-mouse
19-05-19, 19:16
Very anxious about bowel cancer now. I had a pretty normal bowel movement yesterday but today initially I had to strain to let out hard pebble like stools almost. Then after a short while of more straining, the rest of the stools were mushy and soft.

What could this mean?

It means you likely experienced constipation, can very easily be due to lack of good fibre or not enough water etc. Inactivity can also add in.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shotta287
20-05-19, 18:07
Thank you for the kind words Mouse.

I’ve been very inactive for the past week or so and taking a lot of painkillers and decongestant tablets due to the flu.

I still can’t get the worry of my stomach out of my mind though. Since the end of April I’ve been like this.

Did the stupid thing of reading up about bowel cancer and how it can affect younger people too (I’m 25).

I’ve been trying to keep a calm head and telling myself that although my stools are a little on the soft side, it isn’t diarrhoea and I pretty consistently have bowel movements once per day. Yet to see any blood either. I did experience nausea but that has subsided over the past two weeks.

But what fuels my anxiety is that since I had that takeway meal 2 months back, I’ve had cramping at times, gas and just don’t feel hungry as much. If I try to eat a large, fatty meal, I just about finish it but end up being bloated after.

My weight tends to hover around 67kg (I find it very difficult to gain weight always have unless I hit the gym and train muscles). I weighed myself earlier this week after quite a while and I’m at 65/66kg. I definitely feel skinner too.

shotta287
24-05-19, 15:10
Had a pretty normal bowel movement earlier, well formed (sorry if TMI) but I’m now worried again as although stool was mostly light brown, there were also dark patches.

Obviously I’m thinking that’s now blood from somewhere upper in the system.

BlueIris
24-05-19, 15:12
Nope, it really isn't, it doesn't work like that.

Midnight-mouse
24-05-19, 16:55
Had a pretty normal bowel movement earlier, well formed (sorry if TMI) but I’m now worried again as although stool was mostly light brown, there were also dark patches.

Obviously I’m thinking that’s now blood from somewhere upper in the system.

Nope, just different foods. Nothing to worry about.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

shotta287
27-05-19, 15:06
Thank you for the reassurance ^

So, after two days or so of me being relatively less anxious, I’m worried again! Had a bowel movement today, the stools were kind of well formed, bit on the soft side but came out very quickly (apologies for the TMI). Seemed to be sticky too.

I’m on my 4th day of antibiotics now for a suspected sinus infection but I just can’t help but worry my jumpy stomach is something sinister.

The only thing that is keeping me away from going to my doctor (again) is that I don’t have any red flag symptoms as in actual diarrhoea multiple times a day (in fact my bowel movements are pretty consistent same time once per day) and no blood.

shotta287
31-05-19, 11:02
So, almost a month later and I am still worried. Waiting on the blood test results, another week to go I think.

I think my hunger is mainly being suppressed by my constant anxiety and worry. I’m averaging I reckon almost 2000 calories per day but I dare not check my weight just yet. My trousers feel a little looser so I know I’ve lost weight.

I don’t know what it is that is fuelling my worry. Maybe it’s the whole weight thing and feeling less hungry. Bowel movements are still consistent at once per day although I never seem to have one long poop anymore, always comes out in pieces and is light brown/pale in colour. Does this mean some sort of malabsorption? I only have occasional bloating and gas, definitely doesn’t happen every day. Don’t feel tired or exhausted.

However, I’m really on the verge of going back to my doctor and asking for a sigmoidoscopy. I don’t know if my symptoms warrant it but I will push for it.

My initial worry was coeliac disease, hence the blood test. Over the past 2 weeks or so, it has morphed into bowel cancer. I have started the process of getting help for my health anxiety but I’m hoping all this stomach stuff is nothing serious.

Midnight-mouse
31-05-19, 13:23
So, almost a month later and I am still worried. Waiting on the blood test results, another week to go I think.

I think my hunger is mainly being suppressed by my constant anxiety and worry. I’m averaging I reckon almost 2000 calories per day but I dare not check my weight just yet. My trousers feel a little looser so I know I’ve lost weight.

I don’t know what it is that is fuelling my worry. Maybe it’s the whole weight thing and feeling less hungry. Bowel movements are still consistent at once per day although I never seem to have one long poop anymore, always comes out in pieces and is light brown/pale in colour. Does this mean some sort of malabsorption? I only have occasional bloating and gas, definitely doesn’t happen every day. Don’t feel tired or exhausted.

However, I’m really on the verge of going back to my doctor and asking for a sigmoidoscopy. I don’t know if my symptoms warrant it but I will push for it.

My initial worry was coeliac disease, hence the blood test. Over the past 2 weeks or so, it has morphed into bowel cancer. I have started the process of getting help for my health anxiety but I’m hoping all this stomach stuff is nothing serious.

You’re not actually describing anything that requires a doctor. You’re anxious and therefore less hungry, your not eating as much because your less hungry therefore you may find you’ve lost weight.

As for the colour of your stool, what are you eating? That plays a big part in things. You may find drinking more and eating better (not necessarily more) would return the stools to the state that you expect but frankly what you have is a far shout from abnormal.

You are occasionally gassy/bloated, I don’t know why this is a particular worry, it’s perfectly normal.

So ultimately you would go to the doctors for:

- Regular consistent bowel movements.

- Weight loss because you’ve been eating less. (Also known as a diet if you do it on purpose)

- Occasionally feeling gassy/bloated.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

shotta287
02-06-19, 22:47
Mouse, apologies for the late response, but thank you very much for the reassurance. I really appreciate it.

I’m pretty sure my anxiety is suppressing my appetite. Any tips on how to overcome this?

Midnight-mouse
03-06-19, 00:39
Mouse, apologies for the late response, but thank you very much for the reassurance. I really appreciate it.

I’m pretty sure my anxiety is suppressing my appetite. Any tips on how to overcome this?

Honestly, eat. Get yourself back into a normal routine with food and work on the cause of the problem and tackle that anxiety! Meditation, medication, mindfulness, therapy, coping techniques and grounding - all good options, even better in my experience to combine as many of them as possible!

shotta287
09-06-19, 14:32
Update:
Past few days I’ve managed to reduce my anxiety and would you believe it, my appetite has been much better.

Stools are still mixed, some days well formed, some days a bit like cow pat. Main thing is, colour is brown and not pale or black.

Trying not to think too much about my weight although I did weigh myself recently and I was heavier. Gave me such a buzz. Next day, I was back at 65kg. Are weight fluctuations normal?

Midnight-mouse
09-06-19, 14:38
Update:
Past few days I’ve managed to reduce my anxiety and would you believe it, my appetite has been much better.

Stools are still mixed, some days well formed, some days a bit like cow pat. Main thing is, colour is brown and not pale or black.

Trying not to think too much about my weight although I did weigh myself recently and I was heavier. Gave me such a buzz. Next day, I was back at 65kg. Are weight fluctuations normal?

Very normal, in fact you can vary easily 5 pounds in a day with different variables. You’re doing just fine, keep up the eating and getting on with things.

We can’t keep a stable mind if we’re not fuelled properly, food, drink and sleep are all part of that.

shotta287
13-06-19, 08:00
Although my appetite is pretty much back and I’m eating like I used to again, I’m constantly concerned about my weight.
Just not increasing.

I had a takeaway meal Tuesday evening and yesterday passed pale-ish stools but they did sink. Fat malabsorption comes to mind?

If this is all IBS, is weight loss common?

Ruby777
14-06-19, 12:49
Hi Shotta,

Glad to hear your appetite is back and you are able to eat .

I have been having gastrointestinal issues for the past 6 days and I am panicking . I was on holidays and woke up with the worst pain in my abdomen and I have been bloated ever seen passing gas constantly . It started with constipation and then for 2 days watery diarrhea . I also feel ill and I am so stressed .

I went to the hospital yesterday . They did an X-ray , blood tests and urine test and said everything looks ok. I just think they should have done a more specific scan like CT scan or MRI.

Fishmanpa
14-06-19, 13:08
Although my appetite is pretty much back and I’m eating like I used to again, I’m constantly concerned about my weight.
Just not increasing.

I had a takeaway meal Tuesday evening and yesterday passed pale-ish stools but they did sink. Fat malabsorption comes to mind?

If this is all IBS, is weight loss common?

As was said, you can vary up to 5 pounds in a day with or without IBS. Heck, you can lose a few pound after a good sit on the loo! Don't get sucked into another HA spiral and latch onto this. And please don't get into self examining your poo and describing it. Been enough of that around here lately. Just do your business and flush it!

Positive thoughts

Darksky
14-06-19, 13:45
My weight is up and down like a fiddlers elbow and that's without any gastro issues. I can gain several pounds and lose them the next day, it's no big deal

shotta287
14-06-19, 19:06
Thanks all. Positive words really do help.

Unfortunately, today someone told me I’ve lost weight and that’s the third person to say that to me in recent weeks. Straight away the alarm bells start ringing.

I just wish I’d gain some weight I know it’d calm me down so much.

shotta287
14-06-19, 21:19
I’ve been thinking, if it was something sinister, would symptoms come and go? Some days I’m fine have fairly normal bowel movements while other days I get bad gas and pass loose-ish stools.

Also, I’ve been spamming the forum recently with my anxiety and I do apologise. I am in the process of getting help for my HA, with some talking therapy.

HA1989
14-06-19, 23:25
I’ve been thinking, if it was something sinister, would symptoms come and go? Some days I’m fine have fairly normal bowel movements while other days I get bad gas and pass loose-ish stools.

Also, I’ve been spamming the forum recently with my anxiety and I do apologise. I am in the process of getting help for my HA, with some talking therapy.

I have read many many stories of serious bowel issues and the rule of thumb is that a symptom appears, then gets worse and worse until they have no choice but to seek medical attention..

And even then in most cases it wouldn’t be life threatening and would be treatable. My anxiety affects a lot of things but GI issues is a predominant one and it’s not always the same (I.e not always D or C, or pain, or urgency - it changes; the most recent issue was a constant urge “to go” and it was the scariest 5 weeks of my life but it passed THANK GOD.

I know why you panic though, I am exactly the same :( it is only when I have got over one particular HA that I look back and think “what the heck was wrong with me it’s so obvious that I was fine??”

Pls continue to seek help, don’t let it take over your life

shotta287
18-06-19, 15:26
@HA1989, I’m with you on that, GI issues give me a LOT of anxiety.

So yesterday I was hungry and indulged in a burger, haven’t had many of them in the last month or so.

Few hours later, became bloated and very gassy. Woke up this morning and pretty much had diahoerrea, although it was brown. Still kind of bloated but haven’t had the urge to have another bowel movement.

Honestly so confused with my bowels. I don’t know why this continues to persist intermittently.

shotta287
24-07-19, 11:18
So I went to my doctor yesterday and I’ve been asked to provide a stool sample testing for H.pylori.

Still getting intermittent gas, and yellowy brown stools which come out in pieces (sorry if tmi) especially if I have eaten a high fat meal the day before. Also struggling to put on weight.

I realise it is likely that it is not something serious but if it was to be IBS, why am I not putting weight on?

jalapeno1234
26-07-19, 01:07
you sound like me, the anxiety/same tests..but also the remaining issues.... one month ago my stress around my issues got SO extreme that I woke one morning cos I had a huge intense reunion to go to and literally the urge to "go" was HORRIBLE. I knew immediately that my issue was 70percent stress related cos the second I came home I was eating and I havent had a feeling like that since - when I calmed down and solidified my diet, I got lots better - this month is my "recovery" month, at least for now anyway...I just came on my period so expecting hellish things tomorrow hah (always stirs my issues) but today I ate KFC, milkshakes, chocolate and Ive been perfect all day - sure, tomorrow I may suffer but all week ive managed to eat anything and everything like the old days. Try sticking to dry foods, even it means for a month - all this month Ive gone a bit OTT on pastries and white bread but have definitely managed stuff I couldnt in may and june like tomato pasta and some veg.

shotta287
30-07-19, 12:45
Hi Jalapeno1234, I’ve read some of your posts and yeah it seems like we both have developed bad anxiety relating to our bowels.

I don’t even understand what’s going on with my bowels anymore. Past few days I’ve still been going once a day but stools are hard to pass, dry and lumpy.

shotta287
04-08-19, 11:34
So this past week my symptoms have flipped. Still been emptying bowels every day but stools have been hard, dry, difficult to pass and sometimes like rabbit droppings.
I seriously don’t understand. My diet hasn’t changed. Sound like IBS?

Midnight-mouse
04-08-19, 15:04
Yep, increase liquids, fibre and possibly take a stool softener like lactulose - a couple days of that will give me easily a week relief from the hard stools.