PDA

View Full Version : Concern for my daughter

Stressed32
11-05-19, 23:41
Hello. I have suffered off and on for 13 years w HA. I have made good strides in recognizing triggers and not body checking or googling symptoms. For the most part, I have basically come to understand the condition, and I accept the feelings and just allow them to pass over me rather than giving them my attention. I have been doing fairly well.

Well I brought my daughter to a dentist last week because she has swollen tonsils (no infection) and this lady specializes in breathing therapy (daughter is a mouth breather causing tonsils to swell). The dentist mentioned to me doing a 3D scan of the tonsils bc she has a lazer to help shrink them before we begin therapy. I was excited. Well when they went to do the test- the machine looked a lot like a CT scan machine but she was sitting up. When I asked if it was a CT (being concerned w radiation of that on my 8 year old's brain) the lady responded that it was to measure her airway and that they can detect all kinds of things like cancer....

Well- immediately enter in HA!! I mean she said the C word w diagnostic work up w my daughter! I freaked!! I calmly asked her what she meant and she said they look everyone over for oral cancer- ok- I got a little calmer bc then she said my daughter was fine. I asked- so this is not any kind of test where you all will call me in a week and tell me something came back concerning? She showed me the scan and said no- BUT what she showed was just of the frontal of the face and did not include the airway at all- and told me they would make lots of 2D images that would make a video of the airway. They had not done that at that moment- so she really could not say that everything was normal.

We left, I left shook up bc while I understand my daughter did not have oral cancer, I started to worry that they may find throat cancer when they measure that airway.

I called the next day and specifically asked the lady if I needed to worry about cancer being seen in my daughter's throat since no one had looked at that image yet and she said no....but HA asks why- they did not look at that yet right??? UGH- here comes the spiral.......

I know this is not logical. She is 8 and this kind of cancer is extremely rare for a child her age- but it is not impossible! I have spent the last day reading about the CBCT test and it is not specific for seeing cancer, but it can see tumors of the throat and jaw.

Guys- how can I talk myself down from this? I so desprately want to enjoy Mother's Day tomorrow- we tried for 13 years for kids- I love Mother's Day but this dentist is not getting me a treatment plan until Tuesday and frankly I am not sure if I can do this for 3 more days!! I am actually considering calling her right now at 6:00 on a Sat night!

I know that none of you can tell me my kid does not have throat cancer- I am not asking for that. I am asking how can I shut the repeat record of fear and cancer thoughts off that is playing in my head over and over and over again? I have tried distraction- it is not working.

nomorepanic
11-05-19, 23:47
Have you tried the HA workbooks we recommend on here - it is in a sticky?

It is HA talking and nothing more.

Stressed32
12-05-19, 05:13
I would like to very sincerely thank you! I had not seen these but have been working on them since shortly after you posted. I feel so much better! The switch is off for now.

Scass
12-05-19, 07:02
I’m so glad that the workbooks helped you.

It sounds like you got yourself in a big spiral of worry & just need to get off it.

Sometimes people say things to us that has a reaction. They don’t know that what they’re saying is a trigger for our minds to start free wheeling. So really our response is down to us.
You don’t know that machine like your dentist does, so trust them to use it correctly to get what they need, and trust that your daughter is in safe hands.

Enjoy Mother’s Day, you sound like a good one. Let us know what helped you in the worksheets? I find mindfulness & breathing help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk