PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm being ridiculous but I need to be told

BrokenGirl
13-05-19, 14:59
Found a lump in my breast about 2 months ago - instant panic and straight down the HA rabbit hole.
Anyway, I had a mammogram this morning and an ultrasound on the area of the breast I found the lump.
Before the mammogram the lady doing it asked me a few questions, one of them being had I any scar tissue in my breasts. So I said no.
When she took the second image of my left breast, she asked me again if I had any breast scar tissue. She said this as she was looking at the screen. I said no again but got really scared, thinking she has seen something.
Anyway, after the ultrasound, the doctor came in to me and told me everything was fine, he was happy with the results. Instant relief and that's it, I was on my way home.
But what she said to me about the scar tissue has being going around in my head since. And of course I never mentioned it to the doctor.
I think I'm being crazy, thinking that she saw something and the doctor didn't see it. I know I should be happy that the doctor gave me the all clear with the mammogram, but why is this voice gnawing away at me about the scar tissue comment?
I don't even know what she saw or why she asked it.
Can HA really make us this paranoid even after a doctor says everything is fine?

BlueIris
13-05-19, 15:04
It can do, yes. Your takeaway from this needs to be what the doctor told you - that everything is fine.

Carys
13-05-19, 17:20
OK, I can help easily with this one. Let me tell you now - reading mammo images and ultrasound images is a very very skilled job, and they are trained for years to see the most subtle differences in tissue from these images....which you or I would have NO CLUE about, to say the least. I once tried to look at some online, and they were outlining various conditions like scar tissue, cancer, fibroids, cysts, hormonal thickening etc etc. They all looked the same to me, but then I'm no radiographer !

If she saw something that resembled scar tissue, (and thats only an IF here) then she used that exact word as it looked like scar tissue! I have bad scar tissue in one breast, and they are quite easily able to tell what is scar tissue and what isn't - they will be certain if something that needs further assessement. She may have asked the question as saw something she was pretty sure was scar tissue (and you may indeed have some to be honest, from being hit at some point in the dim and distant past), she clearly didn't see something that resembled a cancerous tumour or a fluid filled cyst or another else.....Maybe she saw something that at first she thought WAS scar tissue, and later it became clear that it was just dense normal breast tissue. Either way, at no point was anothing other than 'scar tissue' brought up as a possibility, which is clearly entirely benign.

So, she would have taken your images to the consultant and they would have looked closely and reviewed them together, and clearly between the two of them they have decided that there is nothing sinsister there and what they saw was either not relevant, completely normal, or indeed a bit of scarring. The point is; if they had any concerns at all, even extremely minor - you would be having a biopsy. They don't take any chances ! Yes, HA can make us this paranoid, and more besides. As an aside - I think people should learn, and this happens here all the time, to ask questions whilst there with the ear of the consultant. If you had mentioned to them about this 'scar tissue' thing then it would be done and dusted, or even ask the radiographer.

You are clear, totally clear, and as you can no longer ask the consultant you will have to just 'suck up' the scar tissue thing and move on with happiness that they saw nothing sinister. You can keep doing your monthly breast checks, and use this as a base-line now, so monitor for changes. If all remains the same then a second thought isn't needed.

BrokenGirl
13-05-19, 23:04
Thank you both for replying. I think I'm starting to come around a bit about the results now.
I know deep down that I have to accept what the doctor said - as you said Carys, I can't go back to him again and ask him this.
I think when you worry about something for a long time it's hard to suddenly let go of all that worry. You almost feel guilty for not worrying, which is all part of the HA trap.
The next thing I have to do is examine my breasts thoroughly in the next few days to get a base line. Hopefully that will help me going forward doing my monthly exams