PDA

View Full Version : Fear of doctors

nc7560
14-05-19, 20:22
I have been obsessed with some spots in my throat for about 6 weeks. I kept coming up with excuses to not make a doctors appointment. I know this is really stupid, but I am always so fearful of what they might find. I was sure she was going to tell me I had throat cancer or send me to an ENT who would want to run all kinds of tests. So today I gathered up my courage and went in. The doctor took one look at my throat and said "oh, I wouldn't worry about that at all:doh:. I got a prescription for Flonase and I was on my merry way. Six weeks of panic...FOR NOTHING! I guess I just want to say to all of you like me, get your symptoms checked. 9 times out of 10, you will be fine and will have saved yourself a ton of worry!

Fishmanpa
14-05-19, 21:44
Its funny, there and many here who are just the opposite. Personally, I'm just stubborn. I don't like going unless I really have to. I usually tough it out until I have no choice. Besides, I'm not a sufferer and truly know when something serious is going on as I've had serious health issues.

Glad to hear all is well. 99% of the time (at least here), its nothing of concern.

Positive thoughts

Maddox
14-05-19, 22:38
I have been obsessed with some spots in my throat for about 6 weeks. I kept coming up with excuses to not make a doctors appointment. I know this is really stupid, but I am always so fearful of what they might find. I was sure she was going to tell me I had throat cancer or send me to an ENT who would want to run all kinds of tests. So today I gathered up my courage and went in. The doctor took one look at my throat and said "oh, I wouldn't worry about that at all:doh:. I got a prescription for Flonase and I was on my merry way. Six weeks of panic...FOR NOTHING! I guess I just want to say to all of you like me, get your symptoms checked. 9 times out of 10, you will be fine and will have saved yourself a ton of worry!

I am exactly the same as you, I hate going to the doctors terrified of what they will tell me. By the time I actually go I have managed to build my anxiety up so much that I’m petrified. Like you say you spent all your time worrying and if you had just of gone down straight away you could of saved yourself a lot of anxiety.
Although I do try not to go to often as I can end up wanting to go all the time, so only tend to go over things that really set my anxiety off badly. :)

roseanxiety
15-05-19, 03:24
Me too! Always think they will diagnose something bad! Terrified to go to any doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadCompany
05-06-19, 15:43
I also have a very strong fear of seeing a doctor for what I have been going through for the past 6 months...you can see my post on this forum....I'm in bad shape as I can't bring myself to see a doctor and very fearful of seeing the doctor and finding out the worst....I guess me not going gives me hope that I might have an outside hope that it's not sinister etc.....

IreneRumi
05-06-19, 15:48
Find a copy of and read “Duct Tape and Bag Balm” by Beach Conger Md. it’s the short humorous tales of a country doctor and is one book that has helped me most with my health anxiety. It’s very funny and gives great insight into the mind of a wonderful, sensible doctor and a health anxious patient.