PDA

View Full Version : The Wide Awake Club

BlueIris
18-05-19, 05:41
One of the joys of discovering nomorepanic for me has been the discovery that other people are active early in the morning, too.

My family have always been morning people, and unfortunately my depression accentuates this - I fall asleep early in the evening and then, on a good day, I don't wake until 5am.

Today is not a good day. My husband is a night owl, he came to bed around 2.30, I woke up and couldn't get back off. In the end, I gave up and came out to watch TV; in an hour or so I'll start getting on with stuff and then maybe sneak back to bed if I get properly dopey.

How do you guys handle those times of day when sleep won't happen and there's nobody else around?

mezzaninedoor
18-05-19, 06:34
I listen to spoken word audio books, that sometimes helps

BlueIris
18-05-19, 06:40
Great idea! I suppose I should just invest in some headphones so I don't disturb my other half.

Midnight-mouse
18-05-19, 09:42
I often just read a book or use my phone, I’m always awake first and don’t sleep well to start with. If I’m not wide awake before 7am it’s a really good day. I have wireless earphones that I use. Sometimes being led in bed is the perfect time for some guided meditation too, I actually don’t mind it too much because it lets me get everything organised in my head for the day and I’m often coming out of the morning panic before everyone else is awake (four adults in the house makes for a busy environment!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WiredIncorrectly
18-05-19, 10:03
One of the joys of discovering nomorepanic for me has been the discovery that other people are active early in the morning, too.

My family have always been morning people, and unfortunately my depression accentuates this - I fall asleep early in the evening and then, on a good day, I don't wake until 5am.

Today is not a good day. My husband is a night owl, he came to bed around 2.30, I woke up and couldn't get back off. In the end, I gave up and came out to watch TV; in an hour or so I'll start getting on with stuff and then maybe sneak back to bed if I get properly dopey.

How do you guys handle those times of day when sleep won't happen and there's nobody else around?

Youtube is good. I'll usually stick a documentary on. There's really not much to do early AM unless that's your routine. I'm having the same problems myself Blue.

BlueIris
18-05-19, 10:13
Great suggestions! Just glad I'm not working today.

whispershadow
18-05-19, 10:19
I get out of bed and walk around a bit

i'm the only human in the house to be fair and i get followed by Tigger and Willow :wub:

pulisa
18-05-19, 17:56
I can get loads of stuff done before everyone else is awake. I have to be very organised so getting up at the crack of dawn suits me and it's light anyway now at 5am. My guinea pigs expect their breakfast by 6 am as do my 50 odd queuing pigeons!! My first washload is always done by 630am.

What a bore I must be!:D

jojo2316
18-05-19, 22:27
Ach - this sucks Blueiris. Insomnia is the pits. There is a whole world of podcasts out there though. Listening is better than watching because the light from screens depletes your natural sleep hormones (or something!). I love the true crime podcasts - there is one called casefiles that has an Aussie presenter with a really droning voice - great for a getting to sleep!
xxx

jojo2316
18-05-19, 23:05
https://casefilepodcast.com/

BlueIris
18-05-19, 23:23
Ohhh, thank you!

jojo2316
19-05-19, 05:58
Hi Blueiris! From another member of the WideAwake club!!

BlueIris
19-05-19, 06:04
Hey! I stayed up late for Eurovision and got 4 hours! How are you?

jojo2316
19-05-19, 06:14
I woke up at 5. I have to take my daughter to a horse thing and (very unlike me) she is obsessive about time so we have to be early. Wiiiissssshhhh I was asleep! Who won Eurovision?

BlueIris
19-05-19, 06:29
Netherlands. Was a bit gloomy for me, but hey ho.

Is your daughter competing? If so, wish her luck.

Violet Blue
19-05-19, 08:17
Hi Iris, Violet here!

I'm very much a morning person, which I'm glad about, though it does account for having very little by way of a social life, well I guess during the day it's not too bad. I'm intrigued that your husband is a night owl though, after ''are you a dog person' I'd have to ask 'are you a morning person' to anyone I was going to live with. I don't have a dog, I just don't like cats!

I go to bed v early and easily fall asleep but I quite often get up in the night and watch tv or surf the net, then go back to sleep, but if I've something on in the morning I'll stay in bed and eventually I'll go back to sleep.

It helps us to be healthy, wealthy and wise, ha ha!

BlueIris
19-05-19, 08:38
I have cats, too :) I'd love to have fallen for a fellow morning person, but it didn't work out that way.

Most of the time it works out okay, but I know I'm going to have to look after myself today if I don't want the anxiety to flare up massively.

pulisa
19-05-19, 13:33
Netherlands. Was a bit gloomy for me, but hey ho.

Is your daughter competing? If so, wish her luck.

Good luck from me too!

How awful was Mad-onna last night! Just watching on catch-up as I only made it to the bit where last year's winner was singing her banana song..Honestly, what an "interesting" bunch of people on Eurovision..We are really quite sane in comparison!:D

I feel for you, Iris. I'm in the same boat and it's hard to get a balance in order to manage our anxiety,isn't it? Take care today and get some mental rest? xx

MyNameIsTerry
19-05-19, 13:39
I have cats, too :) I'd love to have fallen for a fellow morning person, but it didn't work out that way.

Most of the time it works out okay, but I know I'm going to have to look after myself today if I don't want the anxiety to flare up massively.

I have a feeling pulisa might tell you it's a benefit as you get so much more done without we men in the way...I know my mum says this :biggrin:

I didn't even know it was Eurovision. :doh: I guess there is so much babble with euro involved it quickly gets pushed down the pile of news. Did we take a spanking?

pulisa
19-05-19, 13:50
We came last, Terry! I blame Brexit!

MyNameIsTerry
19-05-19, 14:14
We came last, Terry! I blame Brexit!

:roflmao: Those tactical voting Europeans! :biggrin:

WiseMonkey
19-05-19, 22:23
Hi, I also sympathise as not sleeping is the pits! I've had bad insomnia, for over 30 years, starting when I first had depression. I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (overactive immune system) so my brain often can't rest even though I'm not worried or thinking about anything in particular. I find the best way of getting some sleep is to get up early, do some exercise like walking and keep busy throughout the day so I get tired. If I teach for 4 days in a row then I'm quite tired and definitely sleep better. I try to resist taking meds for sleep but sometimes it's necessary for a few days.